• LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:14 AM

http://www.kwch.com/...y.asp?S=9601557

Sheriff: Search for Adam Herrman Continues

Posted: Dec 31, 2008 02:46 PM
Updated: Jan 5, 2009 11:32 AM

Posted Image

Update:

Sheriff Craig Murphy says they are investigating the disappearance of Adam Herrman as a missing person's case.

Someone recently reported that Adam had not been seen since 1999.  Investigators started a bio-historical data search on Herrman.  Investigators looked for whatever they could find on Herrman from birth through today.

Murphy says investigators were unable to find any historical data on Herrman after 1999.  They don't know what happened after 1999.

Sheriff Murphy would not go into what investigators found in the mobile home park last week, but he did say that it provided one of the answers they were looking for.

Authorities are asking for anyone who may have seen something or known something in 1999 to please contact Butler County Investigators.

By Matt Mauro and Megan Strader (TOWANDA, Kan.)

Investigators from Wichita and Butler County are on the scene of a mobile home park in Towanda. They are looking for a boy who may have gone missing in 1999.

Police say the boy was 11 or 12 at the time, but his disappearance was never reported. Within the past few weeks, the Exploited and Missing Child Unit in Wichita received a tip about the boy.

Detectives got in touch with Butler County authorities to investigate.

Wednesday is the first day of searching. More than a dozen investigators are on the scene at a mobile home park where the boy's family lived in 1999.

They are looking in a storage shed, and appear to be trying to dig through the floor. Authorities have not released any names, but say this is just the beginning of their investigation.

Sheriff Craig Murphy says investigators found the answer to one of the questions they wanted answered.

Anyone with information should contact the Butler County Sheriff's Office at 316-322-4254 or 800-794-0190.

Jennifer, Project Jason Forum Moderator
www.projectjason.org
Help us for free when you shop online or do a websearch:
http://www.goodsearc...harityid=857029

Help us find the missing: Become an AAN Member
http://www.projectja...awareness.shtml

If you have seen any of our missing persons, please call the law enforcement agency listed on the post. All missing persons are loved by someone, and their families deserve to find the answers they seek in regards to the disappearance.

#2 Jenn

Jenn

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:15 AM

http://www.ksn.com/n...l/37072739.html

Biological family demands answers after boy disappears 10 years ago

By Justin Kraemer

Story Created: Jan 4, 2009 at 9:28 PM CST
Story Updated: Jan 5, 2009 at 10:16 AM CST

WICHITA, Kansas (KSN) – The biological family of an adopted Butler County boy missing for nearly a decade is demanding answers.

"How does he go missing for 10 years and no one says anything about it until last month?" asked Tiffany Broadfoot. She’s the biological sister of Adam Herrman.

Adam and two other siblings of Broadfoot were adopted by Doug and Valerie Herrman after parental rights were stripped from their biological parents. Both of the biological parents have since moved away from Kansas.

"I feel that if they weren’t taken away – and I’m not pointing any fingers at anybody – but this wouldn’t have happened," said Irvin Groeninger, Adam’s biological father. "I don’t understand why he’s been gone for nine years and nobody reported it. It knocked me for a loop."

Detectives with the Butler County Sheriff’s Department searched for clues earlier this week at a trailer park in Towanda where the Herrmans lived at the time of Adam’s disappearance. Both Groeninger and Broadfoot said deputies want DNA samples from both of them for their investigation. The case came to light for authorities after a phone tip to Wichita police.

Broadfoot said she’s contacted the Herrmans a couple of times in the last five years to check up on her siblings. She said the first time she called she was told everyone was well and Adam was getting ready for his driving exam.

"She made it sound like everything was fine," said Broadfoot.

She said she called again a few months ago and was angrily told to never bother the family again.

"It’s been my dream ever since I was a little bitty kid to meet all my brothers and sisters and have my family back," said Broadfoot. "That’s the hope – that he’s alive. But if that can’t happen just that I would know what happened."

"I just hope whatever comes out of this -- at least justice is served," said Groeninger.

The Butler County Sheriff has a press conference scheduled for 10 a.m. on Monday.
www.projectjason.org

If you have seen any of our missing persons, please call the law enforcement agency listed on the post. All missing persons are loved by someone, and their families deserve to find the answers they seek in regards to the disappearance.

#3 Jenn

Jenn

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:15 AM

http://www.kansascit...ory/963783.html

Long-missing boy is subject of search

By TIM POTTER
The Wichita Eagle
Breaking News

WICHITA | His name is Adam.

He came to his foster parents when he was about 2, according to a relative, and a few years later that family adopted him.

And then, nearly 10 years ago, the boy disappeared when he was 11 or 12, while the adoptive family lived at a mobile home park in Towanda, Kan.

After receiving a tip, Butler County authorities searched part of the mobile home park last week.

Sheriff Craig Murphy has not confirmed the boy’s name but said no one ever reported him missing and investigators could find no evidence that the boy is alive.

A news conference is scheduled for Monday morning.

On Saturday, an attorney for Adam’s adoptive parents said that he ran away about nine years ago, that they didn’t report it and that they feel “horribly guilty” for not doing so.

“And they’ve been feeling that guilt for nine years,” Wichita attorney Warner Eisenbise said.

Eisenbise said Adam had psychological problems, was difficult to control and had run away repeatedly.

“They assumed that he was somewhere — either a homeless person or back with members of his family,” Eisenbise said. “They assumed that he was OK.”

Also Saturday, the boy’s biological parents and sister said detectives had asked them for DNA samples, to be compared with any evidence investigators find of him.

Adam was named Irvin Groeninger III when he was born in Wichita in June 1987.

His biological parents, who have since divorced, said they wish he had not been removed from their custody.

“I feel like he wouldn’t be missing if he would have been in my custody,” said Irvin Groeninger II, who now lives in Indiana.

Adam’s biological mother, Gerri George, said her son went into state custody at about age 2.

“I had been a little bit not exactly a good parent,” she said, adding she had left a bruise on an older child.

Still, she said, she did her best to give her children a good home. She last saw her son when he was about 4.

Adam’s older biological sister, Tiffany Broadfoot, now 22 and living in Wichita, lived for a time with Adam’s adoptive family before being adopted by someone else.

Broadfoot remembers Adam having dark, almost curly hair and “this cute, really round face.” She last saw him at a birthday party when he was 5 or 6.

Over the years, she said, she called the adoptive mother to ask how he was doing.

At first, Broadfoot said, the adoptive mother said Adam was OK. But about three years ago, she said, the woman asked her not to call again because she didn’t want Adam and two younger siblings to know they were adopted.

Broadfoot tried again, without success, to contact Adam last year, she said.

Then last month, she said, her biological father called and said, “Are you sitting down? Because I need to talk to you.”

He said a detective told him that Adam had been missing since 1999.

“He (the detective) said he’s been missing nine years, and that just blew my mind,” Groeninger said.

A 2002 bankruptcy petition filed by Adam’s adoptive parents lists him as a son, age 14 — two to three years after authorities say he disappeared.

Court records show that as late as 2003, his adoptive parents listed him in their divorce case.

www.projectjason.org

#4 Jenn

Jenn

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:16 AM

http://www.kwch.com/...5&nav=menu486_2

Family Talks About Missing Towanda Boy

Posted: Jan 1, 2009 06:19 PM
Updated: Jan 2, 2009 10:33 PM

Update: 1/2/08

Butler County Sheriff Craig Murphy said Friday that it could be at least Monday before new information is released on the disappearance of Adam Herrman.

The sheriff will host a news conference regarding the case on Monday morning at ten o'clock.

Eyewitness News is following the case. Look for details as they become available both on the air and online here at kwch.com.

By Michael Schwanke and Chris Durden (ROSE HILL, Kan.)

He disappeared 10 years ago but no one reported him missing.

Adam Herrman lived in Towanda with his adoptive parents and other siblings. The last time anyone remembers seeing 11-year-old Adam was in 1999.

Fast-forward to this week when Butler County investigators began searching the lot where the Herrman's home one stood. Authorities broke up concrete inside a storage shed and used search dogs to look for clues as to what happened.

Investigators are releasing little information about the case or what they've found. Sheriff Craig Murphy says the search answered one of the biggest questions in the case but would not elaborate.

Eyewitness News has learned details about the case from family members. They were contacted by authorties three weeks ago.

Herrman's parents tell Eyewitness News that Adam frequently ran away from home but would always come back. The parents would not go on camera but say the last time Adam ran away, he didn't come back. Two weeks passed, and his parents say they were afraid to call police. They also say they feared getting into trouble for not reporting Adam missing.

Other family members say they do not believe the parents' story. They think the parents had something to do with Adam's disappearance.

Adam was adopted and members of the extended family were told he was given back to the state. That's the reason they say no one reported him missing.

Investigators have pictures of Adam, but so far are not releasing them.

www.projectjason.org

#5 Jenn

Jenn

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:17 AM

http://www.kwch.com/...8&nav=menu486_2

Sister Talks About Brother Missing For Ten Years

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 10:12 PM
Updated: Jan 5, 2009 09:37 AM

(BUTLER COUNTY, Kan.)

While investigators search for answers, family members hold out hope. Adam Herrman was last seen in 1999, but no one reported the 11-year-old missing until a few weeks ago.

Adam Herrman's mom and dad relinquished their rights as parents about 20 years ago, thinking the state could provide them a better home. So Adam and his brothers and sisters were all placed into foster care and then adopted by different families.

Over the years they all lost touch, so the call in early December saying Adam hadn't been seen in a decade was, without a doubt, shocking and for some, crushing.

Even law enforcement calls it one of the strangest cases they've ever worked.

"He had the cutest little round face, little bitty freckles just right up here on the tip of his cheek," recalls Tiffany Broadfoot.

She is Adam's only full blooded sister. But after both were placed in separate homes, the two lost contact.

"I saw Adam at my brother's birthday party when I was like seven or eight years old and then he sent me a Christmas card when I was nine and that was the end of my contact with him."

But now at 22 years old, she never imagined he would end up connected with a scene like Wednesday's.

"Just awe struck as to how something like that could possibly happen and how he could be missing for as long as he's been and nobody saying anything."

Adam's adopted parents, who lived in the Towanda mobile home park around the time he went missing, say he had a habit of running away and they just never reported him missing.

A situation that now eats away at Adam's biological father, now living in Indiana, who last saw him when he was only a year and a half old.

"I thought what I was doing for him was in the best interest of the children and evidently it wasn't. I feel that if he would have still been in my custody this would have never happened."

The part that's hardest for Adam's sister is the fact that she says she called his adopted mom several times after 1999 and was assured he was doing just fine.

"It makes me furious. How dare she lie to me? That's my brother, how dare she lie to me when you know he's not fine, or maybe he was fine wherever he was, but he wasn't fine in the home and I had every right to know that."

Both Tiffany and her father have been asked to give DNA samples to help with the case and both say all they can do now is hope.

Tiffany adds, "Hope that somebody out there knows something or has seen him or has seen or heard something and will come forward and say so." And answer some of the many questions that still surround this case. 

Eyewitness News spoke with Adam's adopted family earlier this week.  They said he ran away and after a few weeks, they were too afraid to report it to police. Other family members have told us the they were told Adam was given back to state and that's why he wasn't reported missing. 

The Butler County Sheriff will release more information at a news conference Monday morning. The briefing starts at ten. Look for updates on here on KWCH.com and on Eyewitness Newscasts throughout the day.

www.projectjason.org

#6 Jenn

Jenn

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:18 AM

http://www.upi.com/T...19991231128058/

Police searching for boy missing for years

Published: Jan. 4, 2009 at 11:00 PM

WICHITA, Kan., Jan. 4 (UPI) -- Police in Kansas are investigating the disappearance of a boy who ran away from his adoptive parents nine years ago but was not reported missing until recently.

The adoptive parents, who took the boy in as a foster child when he was 2, did not report him missing when he disappeared at age 11 or 12, The Wichita Eagle said. Warner Eisenbise, a Wichita lawyer representing the couple, said they feel "horribly guilty."

"They assumed that he was somewhere -- either a homeless person or back with members of his family," Eisenbise said. "They assumed that he was OK."

Police, who opened the investigation after getting a tip, said they have no evidence the boy -- who was born Irvin Groeninger III in 1987, but who went by Adam -- is alive. Police have been searching a trailer park in Towanda, Kan., where the adoptive parents lived at the time of the disappearance.

The boy's biological father, Irvin Groeninger II -- now divorced from the biological mother -- told the newspaper he thinks his son "wouldn't be missing if he would have been in my custody." Gerri George, the biological mother, said she last saw her son when he was 4.

Adam's adoptive parents listed him in their 2003 divorce case and identified him as their son in a 2002 bankruptcy petition -- two to three years after authorities say the boy disappeared -- the newspaper reported.

The biological parents and a biological sister said they have been asked for DNA samples.

Police have scheduled a news conference Monday.

www.projectjason.org

#7 Jenn

Jenn

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:04 AM

http://www.kansascit...ory/962898.html

Posted on Sat, Jan. 03, 2009 08:47 AM

One answer found in Kansas missing-boy case

His name is Adam Joseph Herrman.

He came to his foster parents when he was about 2, and a few years later they adopted him and his two younger siblings, says a relative.

And then, in 1999, when he was around 11 or 12, he may have disappeared while living in Towanda, Butler County Sheriff Craig Murphy has said.

Over time, his adoptive parents have told relatives that the state took the boy back or that he ran away, according to the relative, who asked not to be named.

Adam was not reported missing, and investigators have been unable to find evidence that he is alive, Murphy has said.

A 2002 bankruptcy petition filed by Adam's adoptive parents lists him as a son, age 14 -- two to three years after authorities say he may have disappeared.

Law enforcement officers began investigating his possible disappearance after a recent tip to the Wichita-Sedgwick County Exploited and Missing Child Unit, Murphy said.

Murphy has scheduled a Monday news conference about the investigation.

On Friday, Murphy said that investigators "did get an answer that we were looking for" during a search earlier this week of the Towanda mobile home park where Adam lived.

But Murphy stressed that it was only one among a number of answers that investigators are seeking. He wouldn't say more.

Murphy has said that investigators have talked to the boy's parents; he wouldn't say what was said or disclose their names, or the boy's name.

On Wednesday, investigators searched the Pine Ridge mobile home park in south Towanda where the boy lived in 1999.

Residents at the mobile home park said earlier this week that they saw investigators with search dogs combing the lot where the boy's home had sat.

The investigators used loaders to remove lumber and other materials from a vacant lot that is surrounded by a privacy fence.

Investigators also checked a nearby storage shed that appeared to hold mattresses.

The relative said the family lived in Towanda for a relatively short time after moving from Derby. They then moved to Sedgwick.

Monday's news conference is scheduled for 10 a.m. at the sheriff's offices in El Dorado.

www.projectjason.org

#8 Jenn

Jenn

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:27 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2...as.boy.missing/

Sheriff: Parents didn't report boy missing for a decade

* Story Highlights
    * Sheriff says no trace of Adam Herrman found after 1999
    * Parents did not report him missing until recently
    * Police say they don't know if he is dead or alive
    * Adam was 11 or 12 in 1999

(CNN) -- Authorities in Kansas are looking for a boy who disappeared about a decade ago, but was not reported missing until a few weeks ago.
Adam Herrman has not been seen since 1999, when he was 11 or 12.

Adam Herrman has not been seen since 1999, when he was 11 or 12.

"We don't know what happened to Adam Herrman past '99, when he was last seen," Butler County Sheriff Craig Murphy said at a news conference in El Dorado on Monday.

"Is he alive, is he dead? That one I can't answer because we don't know."

Adam Herrman was 11 or 12 when he was last seen, Murphy said. At the time, he was living in a mobile home park in Towanda, a small town in southern Kansas, with his adoptive parents. The couple did not report him missing, Murphy said.

A few weeks ago, a person called Sedgwick County Exploited and Missing Children's Unit with a "concern" regarding Herrman, Murphy said.

The agency did not immediately return CNN's phone call for additional information.

Wichita attorney Warner Eisenbise, who is representing Herrman's adoptive parents, said the couple "really rue the fact that they didn't" report Herrman missing. "They feel very guilty" about not doing that, he said in a telephone interview.

Eisenbise said the couple told him Adam had run away frequently.

Authorities have searched the Pine Ridge Mobile Home Park, where the family had lived, and discovered an "answer" to one of their questions, Murphy said, without explaining.

"We did find one of the answers we were looking for, but I am holding that one very tightly," he said.

www.projectjason.org

#9 Jenn

Jenn

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:28 AM

http://www.kansascit...ory/964993.html

Posted on Mon, Jan. 05, 2009 09:31 PM

Sheriff working case of missing Butler County child as a death

BY TIM POTTER
The Wichita Eagle

Fourth-grade photo of Adam Herrman released by the Butler County Sheriff's Office.

Detectives are investigating the case of a Towanda boy who disappeared a decade ago as if the child were dead, even though they cannot rule out that he is still alive, Butler County Sheriff Craig Murphy said today.

This morning Murphy released a fourth-grade picture of Adam Herrman, who disappeared from Towanda in the summer of 1999 when he was about 12, and asked the public to call with any information about Adam.

No one reported him missing for nine years. His adoptive parents have since said he ran away.

Murphy said investigators are working the case as a death because "when you are working it as a death you are digging deeper, longer."

He said this is the first case he has dealt with in decades of law enforcement work in which officers didn't learn that a child was missing until years later. A recent tip to the missing and exploited child unit led to the investigation.

The adoptive parents, Doug and Valerie Herrman of Derby, could face charges, according to Murphy. He said The Eagle reported that the couple continued to claim the child years after he disappeared, first in bankruptcy proceedings filed in 2002, and later in a divorce case filed in 2003. The divorce case was later dropped.

Sheriff's officers searched a mobile home park last week where the family once lived but did not find any human remains, Murphy said.

Investigators are planning to conduct more searches but have not said where.

Murphy said the child, who is described as having brown hair and brown eyes, may have been home-schooled. They believe he disappeared during the summer of 1999. According to records, the family moved from Towanda to the town of Sedgwick later that fall.

Murphy plans to conduct a telephone interview with CNN today, hoping the case will gain national attention and lead to more information. If Adam is alive, he could be out there anywhere, Murphy said.

The department plans to release a computer-enhanced photo soon showing what Adam would look like today if he is still alive. He was born June 8, 1987, in Wichita and would now be 21 years old.

Anyone with information about the case is asked to call the Butler County Sheriff's investigative unit at 316-322-4254 or 316-322-4398, select option 8 on the voice recording, and ask to speak with the investigator on duty concerning Adam Herrman.

www.projectjason.org

#10 Jenn

Jenn

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:29 AM

http://www.wibw.com/...s/37093144.html

Search Goes Nation-wide for Missing Kan. Boy

Posted: 11:24 AM Jan 5, 2009
Last Updated: 11:33 AM Jan 5, 2009

EL DORADO, Kan. (AP) _ Authorities are launching a nationwide search for a Kansas boy who disappeared nearly a decade ago.

Sheriff Craig Murphy said investigators have found no trace of Adam Herrman since he disappeared in 1999 from the mobile home park in Towanda where he lived with his adoptive parents. He was 11 at the time.

Murphy says a search of the empty lot where the mobile home once stood gave investigators one answer they sought, but he did not elaborate. He says no human remains were found.

His adoptive parents, Doug and Valerie Hermann, did not report the child as missing. Murphy says the family is cooperating.

Murphy says investigators do not know what happened to Adam. They are asking him or anyone who may have information to contact the Butler County sheriff's office.

www.projectjason.org

#11 Jenn

Jenn

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:55 AM

http://www.marketwat...8D2}&dist=msr_1

Cops seek Kansas boy missing since '99

Last update: 9:40 a.m. EST Jan. 6, 2009

EL DORADO, Kan., Jan 6, 2009 (UPI via COMTEX) -- Authorities in Kansas say a couple has been cooperating as they try to locate their son, who was recently reported missing after last being seen in 1999.

Butler County Sheriff Craig Murphy told reporters he was not sure what became of Adam Herrman, who was last seen when he was 11 or 12 years old and living with his adoptive parents in the small town of Towanda.

"Is he alive, is he dead? That one I can't answer because we don't know," Murphy told a news conference Monday.

CNN said Tuesday the attorney for the boy's parents, Doug and Valerie Herrman, had assumed Adam had run away to live with his biological parents and regretted not having contacted authorities at the time.

Butler County deputies became involved a few weeks ago when someone notified authorities in Sedgwick County about Adam. Detectives recently executed a search warrant at the Herrman residence in Derby and confiscated their computer. They also conducted a search of the mobile home park where they had lived in Towanda.

www.projectjason.org

#12 Jenn

Jenn

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:08 AM

http://www.kansas.co...ory/652772.html

Posted on Tue, Jan. 06, 2009

Relatives say missing Butler County boy was abused

BY TIM POTTER
The Wichita Eagle

Bulter County Sheriff Craig Murphy holds a press conference Monday to discuss the case of Adam Herrman. Herrman was last seen in 1999. Murphy said his department does not no if Herrman is dead or alive.

On Super Bowl Sunday in 1999, the year Adam Herrman went missing but no one reported it, one of his aunts says she saw the 11-year-old chained to a bathtub faucet at his Towanda mobile home.

It looked like he had handcuffs on, said his aunt, Kim Winslow. Winslow, now 48, said it was the last time she saw Adam.

Other close relatives of Adam's adoptive mother, Valerie Herrman of Derby, say they saw her abuse him over the years and that he was forced to sleep in a bathtub. In at least one instance, a relative reported alleged abuse to authorities.

Butler County sheriff's officers plan to bring in search dogs and ground-penetrating radar to help solve the mystery of what happened to Adam Herrman.

The Wichita-Sedgwick County Exploited and Missing Child Unit received a tip about a month ago that the child had not been seen for nine years.

Detectives are investigating the case as if Adam were dead, even though they can't rule out that he is still alive, Butler County Sheriff Craig Murphy said at a news conference Monday.

Warner Eisenbise, the Wichita attorney representing Herrman and her husband, Doug Herrman, Adam's adoptive father, said, "I firmly believe that they are innocent and had nothing to do with his death, if in fact he died."

But Eisenbise conceded that it is possible that the parents could be charged with failing to report a missing child.

Murphy released a fourth-grade picture of Adam, who authorities think disappeared from Towanda in the summer of 1999 when he was 11 or 12. Murphy asked the public to call with any information.

Relatives say Valerie Herrman, who is in her early 50s, had told them over the years that Adam was taken back into state custody. Recently, the adoptive parents have said through their attorney that Adam ran away and they did not report it.

Law enforcement agencies are bringing in search dogs from other states, Butler County sheriff's Detective Sgt. Kelly Herzet said.

"We're asking for all the resources we can ask for on this case," Herzet said.

Relatives' accounts

Winslow said Valerie Herrman, her sister, had told her that Super Bowl Sunday in 1999 that she locked Adam in the bathroom because he was behaving badly. But Winslow said she never saw Adam be a problem child or disobey Herrman.

Winslow, now living outside the Wichita area, and some of Herrman's other close relatives said they saw Herrman abuse Adam other times over the years but for the most part didn't report it and now feel terrible that he is missing.

When Adam was younger, maybe 7 or 8, and living with his adoptive family in Derby, Winslow said she heard her sister tell Adam to eat food that his younger siblings had left on their plates. He told her he was full, and she hit the back of his head, causing his face to come down in a plate, Winslow said.

Winslow said it bothered her. "I went over to him, and I rubbed his little head... and I talked to him" to soothe him, she said.

"I feel sick" for not reporting the incident, she said.

She said can't remember seeing Herrman be affectionate to Adam, as she was to her other children.

A brother's memory

Justin Herrman, 29, who is the biological son of Valerie and Doug Herrman, said he never saw his father abuse Adam.

"He's actually stopped it many times," said Justin Herrman, who was about 7 years older than Adam.

Over the years, at different homes around the Wichita area, his mother "would start hitting him or beating him with a belt," Justin said.

His father "would stop her and say, 'That's enough, Valerie,' " he said.

One time, Justin Herrman said, his mother threw Adam, then around 4 or 5, against a wall and pulled his hair, and Justin stepped in to stop it.

Justin Herrman said he called to report it and Derby police officers came to the home. But he said his mother persuaded him to tell the police that he lied. He said the officers lectured him about lying and left.

His mother started locking Adam in the bathroom, and the boy slept in the bathtub, Justin Herrman said.

"She would just tell us he was threatening us," and that he had mental problems and couldn't be trusted, Justin Herrman said of his mother.

He said that for years his mother told the family that Adam had gone back into state custody and only recently said that he ran away.

'We all believed it'

Margaret Davis, mother of Valerie Herrman, said she was stunned to hear that the attorney now says that Adam ran away.

Valerie and Doug Herrman had a number of foster children before adopting Adam and his two younger siblings, Davis said.

She said her daughter "can be very, very mean sometimes" and that they have been estranged off and on.

Once, at a Derby home where the Herrmans lived before they moved to Towanda, Valerie's aunt had to use the bathroom, and Valerie Herrman had to unlock it first.

Behind the locked bathroom door, Davis said, she saw Adam in the tub with a pillow and blanket.

Valerie Herrman told Adam to go immediately to his bedroom, and he obeyed, Davis said.

"She told us that he had threatened them... he was going to wait until they went to sleep, and he was going to kill them," Davis said.

Although Davis said she wasn't around Adam much, she said that when she was, he seemed to be "a darling little boy."

She said her daughter told the family that Adam went back into state custody. "We all believed it," she said.

Christmas Eve call

Linda Bush, a former sister-in-law of Valerie Herrman, said Valerie Herrman called her Dec. 24 and in a shaky voice told her that Adam was missing and that investigators suspected the Herrmans had something to do with his disappearance.

Bush, 55, of Wichita, said Valerie Herrman asked her to call detectives investigating his disappearance "and tell them about how they loved Adam, and she only wanted to do good when they took in foster children... that they would never hurt a child."

Bush said she never called the detectives.

In the Christmas Eve conversation, Valerie Herrman told her former sister-in-law "that she beat Adam once with a belt" and that Valerie had gone into her room and cried about it, remorseful.

Bush said Valerie Herrman told her that that after she used the belt, someone at Adam's school saw bruises, and authorities were called to investigate.

Authorities' next steps

At the news conference, Murphy said this is the first case he has dealt with in which officers didn't learn that a child was missing until years later.

Sheriff's officers searched the Towanda mobile home park last week where the family once lived but did not find any human remains, Murphy said.

Investigators are planning to conduct more searches but have not said where.

Murphy said Adam, who is described as having brown hair and brown eyes, may have been home-schooled. They believe he disappeared during the summer of 1999. According to records, the family moved from Towanda to the town of Sedgwick later that fall.

Investigators plan to release a computer-enhanced photo soon showing what Adam would look like today if he is still alive. He was born June 8, 1987, in Wichita and would now be 21.

www.projectjason.org

#13 SheilaSB

SheilaSB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:48 PM

Original Post by Sheila removed.

As per the forum rules, all leads must be called in to the law enforcement agency listed on the case by the person who has the lead. 

KJJ 

#14 LINDA

LINDA
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:40 PM

Posted Image
ADAM HERRMAN

[img width=320 height=400]http://www.missingki...MC1111545e1.jpg[/img]
Age progressed to 21 years old

DOB:  Jun 8, 1987
Missing:  Jul 1, 1999
Age st disappearance: 12
Sex:  Male
Race:  White
Hair:  Blonde
Eyes:  Blue
Height:  4'4" (132 cm)
Weight:  67 lbs (30 kg)
Missing From:
TOWANDA
KS
United States

Print a poster:
http://www.missingki...earchLang=en_US

Adam's photo has been age-progressed to 21 years. He was last seen on July 1, 1999.

Wichita Police Department (Kansas) 1-316-268-4220

#15 LINDA

LINDA
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:45 PM

http://www.cbsnews.c...in4701584.shtml

Is Adam Herrman Still Alive?
Nationwide Search For Kan. Youth Missing Since 1999; Parents Failed To Report Disappearance

Jan. 6, 2009

AP) A Kansas couple who failed to report their son's disappearance nearly a decade ago are considered "people of interest" in the case as authorities expand their search nationwide, a sheriff said Monday.

Butler County Sheriff Craig Murphy told reporters no charges would be filed while investigators focus on finding Adam Herrman, who was 11 when he disappeared in 1999 from a mobile home park in Towanda where he lived with Doug and Valerie Herrman.

Adam had been in foster care and was adopted by the Herrmans when he was 2 1/2 years old. He was born June 8, 1987, and would now be 21 years old.

"We are not sure what happened to Adam Herrman," Murphy said. "We are working it as if it is a death - but we are not leaning one way or the other."

Asked why the parents have not been arrested, Murphy replied: "'We are not ready' is an honest and upfront answer."

The family's attorney, Warner Eisenbise, said his clients had nothing to do with harming the child.

"He was a problem child. He ran away frequently to the point of exasperation," Eisenbise said. "My clients feel very guilty that the last time he left they didn't make an attempt to locate him. Every other time, the police were called or he wandered back. They assumed he found one of his siblings or went back to his biological parents."

Murphy said investigators have not confirmed whether Adam had a history of running away. The family has cooperated with investigators, he said.

The Herrmans now live in the Wichita suburb of Derby, in neighboring Sedgwick County.

Eisenbise said they want to speak out but that he is advising them not to talk to the media.

"They want to say they are innocent of any wrongdoing other than not reporting the child missing, which is an offense in Kansas as you know," he said. "The issue of a possible homicide is what I am troubled with, because they did not do it."

(Although his adoptive parents said Adam ran away from home in 1999, CBS affiliate KWCH reports that they listed Adam as one of their dependents in 2002.)

Murphy's office did not receive a missing persons report until contacted recently by the Sedgwick County Exploited and Missing Children's Unit. He declined to say who tipped them off.

But Eisenbise said his clients believe the boy's biological sister or some other relative went to police years later and started the investigation.

Murphy said a search of the now-empty lot where the family's mobile home once stood gave investigators one answer they sought, but he did not elaborate other than to say no human remains were found.

The boy was being home-schooled at the time he disappeared, Eisenbise said.

Investigators have not found any confirmed data on Adam's whereabouts since 1999.

Authorities are asking anyone with information about the case to call the Butler County Sheriff's Office, at (316) 220-1672.

"If Adam Herrman is alive out there - and he would see this - I would ask him to contact us immediately," Murphy said.

#16 LINDA

LINDA
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:49 PM

http://www.kansascit...ory/966737.html

Biological father of Kansas boy missing since 1999 anguishes over loss

Jan. 06, 2009

WICHITA
| The biological father of a Kansas boy missing for 10 years from the home of his adoptive parents says officials unjustly terminated his parental rights.

Investigators only recently learned Adam Herrman disappeared in 1999 and are focused on finding him. Adam was 11 when he disappeared from a mobile home park in Towanda, where he lived with his adoptive parents.

Irvin Groeninger II is the boy’s biological father. The Indiana truck driver says he last saw his son when the boy was 18 months old.

He was divorced when the child was removed from the biological mother’s home because of alleged abuse. He says he was cleared of any wrongdoing and tried to get the boy back.

Groeninger says he wants his son to know he loves him and wishes he had fought harder to get custody of him.

#17 LINDA

LINDA
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:50 PM

http://www.ksn.com/n...l/37167479.html

Adam's case gets national attention

Jan 6, 2009

BUTLER COUNTY, Kansas – They’re getting tips from across the country every day and now Butler County authorities hope one of them will lead them to a Towanda boy missing for nearly a decade.
Related Content

Butler County Sheriff Craig Murphy appeared on CNN Tuesday afternoon and plans to talk to all three network morning shows Wednesday morning in hopes of finding answers to the disappearance of Adam Herrman.

The 11-year-old went missing in 1999 and would be 21 years old today.

“I don't understand why he's been gone for nine years and nobody cared enough to report it,” said Irvin Groeninger II, Adam’s biological father.

Groeninger, who now lives in Indiana, is talking about his son’s adoptive parents. He hasn’t seen Adam since he was 18 months old. He learned last month that Adam’s been missing for nearly a decade.

Last week, detectives scoured a Towanda mobile home park where Adam last lived with his adoptive parents. The search turned up one of the answers authorities are looking for, but they won’t elaborate except to say they did not find any human remains.

Saturday, detectives and canines will search this wooded area under the bridge off Highway 254 just west of Towanda.

“One of the things that has been mentioned was woods and so we're going to take a look in the woods,” Murphy said.

The sheriff hopes that search will lead to more answers, specifically some sort of evidence, a body or bones. So far, their investigation into national databases, including law enforcement and military has turned up nothing on Adam Herrman.

“We're not coming up with anything beyond 1999,” Murphy said.

Still, authorities are encouraged by tips they’ve received so far from across the country. Hopefully those clues will help crack the case.

“I want to find Adam,” Murphy said. “I hate to use this term but dead or alive, I want to find Adam.”

”I'm hoping they find him and hoping he's still alive,” Groeninger said.

Sheriff Murphy says weather will play a huge role in their physical search for evidence, but he does plan to bring in cadaver dogs and ground-penetrating technology to help in the search.

The adoptive parents remain persons of interests and not suspects in the case.

#18 LINDA

LINDA
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:51 PM

http://www.kwch.com/...y.asp?S=9627441

New Locations to Search for Missing Boy

Jan 6, 2009

The ground search for Adam Herrman will re-start this weekend near the banks of the Whitewater River just west of the boy's home near Towanda. Butler County authorities say they'll bring cadaver dogs and foot searchers, but right now they don't have any plans to search the waters as they look for any sign of a boy who's been missing since 1999.

It started on December 15th when investigators searched the current home of Adam's adoptive parents Doug and Valerie Herrman. Detectives confirm they found potential evidence inside the Rose Hill home but didn't say what.

Then, on New Years Eve, investigators dug at the site of the Hermann's former home in Towanda in the Pine Ridge mobile home park. Again, they confirm finding something that answered one of their questions but didn't specify what it was.

Detectives also want to search a home in Sedgwick where the Hermanns lived after leaving Towanda. They're also gearing up for a search of the east side banks of the Whitewater River on Saturday.

Butler County detectives say they've asked a company from Colorado Springs to perform radar searches. Radar is used to detect any disturbances underground, even underneath concrete. But the company won't be coming until at least March when the weather is a bit warmer.

#19 LINDA

LINDA
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:53 PM

http://www.bradenton...ry/1131774.html

KANSAS: El Dorado — The Kansas parents who failed to report their 11-year-old adopted son missing nearly a decade ago are “people of interest” as authorities search for him nationwide, a sheriff said Monday.

Investigators only recently learned Adam Herrman was missing and are focused on finding him, Butler County Sheriff Craig Murphy said. Adam was 11 when he disappeared in 1999 from a mobile home park in Towanda where he lived.

Authorities would not say whether they believed Adam, who would now be 21, is alive.

#20 LINDA

LINDA
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:54 PM

http://voices.kansascity.com/node/3199

Another child falls through the cracks

According to their attorney, Doug and Valerie Herrman "really rue the fact" that they neglected to report their adoptive son missing when he supposedly disappeared 10 years ago at the tender age of 11 or 12.

Right.

The bizarre story breaking in southern Kansas has all the earmarks of another horrible story about a child who falls through the cracks. Did no one -- a neighbor, someone from the school system, anybody -- notice that Adam Herrman was missing?

How did the Herrman's end up with Adam in the first place? And did they collect adoption subsidies after he disappeared?

No matter what the answers to these questions, stories like these rarely end well. Adam's disappearance is now national news. The Wichita Eagle has more details, including how to contact the sheriff's agency investigating the case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Project Jason © Copyright 2005 - 2014
Project Jason Theme, Site Design and Maintenance by Jeff Messick