Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 5,706 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:10 AM

http://www.charleypr...lker_shane.html

Shane Anthony Walker

Posted Image   Posted Image
Left: Walker, circa 1989;  Right: Age-progression at age 18 (circa 2005)

Missing Since: August 10. 1989 from New York City, New York
Classification: Non-Family Abduction
DOB: December 7, 1987
Age at missing: 1 year old
Height and Weight: 3'0, 23 lbs
Distinguishing Characteristics: African-American male.  Black hair, brown eyes.  Walker's hair was braided and pulled back into a ponytail at the time he disappeared; he frequently wore that style in 1989.  He has a small scar under his chin.
Clothing/Jewelry Description: A blue and white shirt, light blue pants and white LA Gear sneakers.

Details of Disappearance:

Walker was last seen at the Martin Luther King Jr. Towers playground located at 113th Street and Lenox Avenue in New York City, New York on August 10, 1989.  He was accompanied by his mother, who was approached by a man and distracted by his conversation for a brief moment.  When she turned back to find her son, Walker had vanished.  Walker was last seen playing with two older children.

Investigators do not believe that Walker's case is related to the case of Christopher Dansby, who vanished from the same playground in May 1989, three months before Walker disappeared.  Authorities investigated the possibility that the cases were connected to a black market baby-ring operation and that Andre Bryant, who was abducted from Brooklyn in March 1989 and Carlina White, who was abducted from Harlem in 1987, were other victims.  All of the children are African-American.  Police have since concluded that Dansby and Walker were most likely abducted by unrelated suspects, but all four cases remain unsolved and it is unclear what happened to any of the missing children.

Investigating Agency:
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact New York City Police Department at 646-610-6914 or the New York Housing Police Department at 212-410-8500.

Jennifer, Project Jason Forum Moderator
www.projectjason.org
Help us for free when you shop online or do a websearch:
http://www.goodsearc...harityid=857029

Help us find the missing: Become an AAN Member
http://www.projectja...awareness.shtml

If you have seen any of our missing persons, please call the law enforcement agency listed on the post. All missing persons are loved by someone, and their families deserve to find the answers they seek in regards to the disappearance.

#2 Jenn

Jenn

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:13 AM

Older article:

http://www.nytimes.c...nished-boy.html

Mother's Fears Grow as Police Seek Vanished Boy

By DONATELLA LORCH
Published: Monday, August 14, 1989

What frightens Roselee Glover is that she did not hear her son cry out.

''My baby, he doesn't go with strange people - and I heard nothing,'' she whispered, trying to hold back tears.

The 35-year-old Ms. Glover is the mother of 19-month-old Shane Walker, who disappeared Thursday afternoon from a playground at the Martin Luther King Jr. Towers housing project at Lenox Avenue and 112th Street in Harlem. It was the same playground from which 2-year-old Christopher Dansby disappeared on May 19. Both Christopher and Shane lived at 41 West 112th Street, one of the buildings in the King Towers project. Christopher has not been found.

As the police searched for Shane, Ms. Glover recalled bits of her last few days with him. They had returned last Monday from a week at Disney World in Florida while she was on vacation from her job as a cook. On Thursday, with the weather sunny and warm, she took Shane out to the playground. Two children she did not know came up and asked if they could play with Shane. She agreed and then briefly lost sight of her son when a man approached her and started a conversation. Just a few minutes later, she looked for Shane and grew panicky when she could not find him. It was 5:25 P.M.

Terrified of Strangers

Shane, she said, was terrified of strangers and would yell and scream if anyone approached him. Ms. Glover, a single mother who has no other children, said Shane, weighing about 23 pounds, was wearing blue pants and a blue striped shirt and his hair was braided. The police are looking for a light-skinned black man wearing a yellow shirt and acid-washed jeans because a man in those clothes was seen walking with a little boy resembling Shane in the area that evening.

Both the man who talked to her and the two children who played with Shane have been questioned by the police. The police would say nothing more than that they lived in the area.

''We're reaching for straws,'' said Sgt. Edward Johnson, who said there were 30 detectives working on the case.

The police also said too many residents were not cooperating with them.

''The neighborhood isn't helping,'' said one detective, who asked that his name not be used. ''Somebody saw something - somebody always sees something. It was a nice day and everyone was outside. We've got the hay, now where's the needle?''

Search Area Expanded

In a van parked as a 24-hour-a-day command post outside Ms. Glover's building, police officers were bent over maps and answering a telephone as their search area expanded. Another van with loudspeakers patrolled the neighborhood, breaking the quiet of a Saturday morning to give descriptions of Shane and the suspect and asking for information on the boy's whereabouts.

''Our presence will keep people thinking about it,'' said Sgt. Robert Agnetti. The police, who are treating the case as an abduction, are trying to question every resident of the apartment building and searching abandoned buildings in the neighborhood. Local hospitals and major airports have been notified, the sergeant said, and the police have expanded their search to include the area from 100th to 125th Streets between Park Avenue and Eighth Avenue. No reward had been posted.

This weekend, as detectives tried to question neighbors in the dark, grafitti-covered hallways at King Towers, mothers at the building entrance talked of their fears for their children and the mystery of the two disappearances from the same park. 'So Beautiful'

''They're so beautiful - the little boys being taken,'' said Ella Price, a resident of the building who was waiting with her granddaughter just outside the entrance to Ms. Glover's building. ''Why did they have to come and pick them special?''

The police said the descriptions of the men they are looking for in each case do not match. ''We recognize the similarities but we haven't been able concretely to establish any connection,'' Sergeant Johnson said.

Sitting on the brown living-room couch and playing with her son's favorite teddy bear, Ms. Glover tried hard not to let her fears take hold as she worried what a stranger would have had to do to take Shane away.

''He doesn't like to walk; he's used to my carrying him everywhere he goes,'' she said. ''He'd lay down on the ground and scream and push. They'd have had to put a hand over his mouth.''

Taking Medicine

She said Shane had been suffering from an ear infection and was taking medicine. Shane, she said, has had seizures when he has had a high fever.

Although mothers in the building worry about their own children, tenant leaders say residents in the King Towers hardly know each other and have done little to unite as neighbors.

''The bottom line is concern for your neighbor and for one another,'' Lessie Martin, who has five children and is active in the tenants association, said. ''You got to feel together before something like this happens.''

Ms. Glover has pleaded with neighbors to come forward with any sort of information.

She recalled how Shane had been terrified of the giant Mickey Mouse at Disney World. ''My baby, he's helpless,'' she said. ''He's all I got. I know that wherever he is, he's crying.''

www.projectjason.org

If you have seen any of our missing persons, please call the law enforcement agency listed on the post. All missing persons are loved by someone, and their families deserve to find the answers they seek in regards to the disappearance.

#3 Jenn

Jenn

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:14 AM

Print a poster: http://www.missingki...earchLang=en_US
www.projectjason.org

#4 La Vina

La Vina
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:59 AM

Posted Image

Age progressed to 18 years old

Posted Image

Shane Anthony Walker

DOB:  Dec 7, 1987
Missing:  Aug 10, 1989
Height:  3'0" (91 cm)
Eyes:  Brown
Race:  African American
Age at disappearance:  1
Sex:  Male
Weight:  23 lbs (10 kg)
Hair:  Black 
Missing From:
New York, New York
United States

Child's photograph is shown age progressed to 18 years old. He was last seen playing with other children in a park located on Lenox Avenue between West 112th and West 115th Streets in New York City. He has a small scar under his chin.

Contact Information:
New York City Police Department (New York)
1-212-694-7781

Print a Poster

#5 La Vina

La Vina
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:00 AM

The Doe Network: Case File 135DMNY-Shane Anthony Walker

#6 La Vina

La Vina
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:18 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2...oldcase.walker/

Cold case: Toddlers vanish from park

Posted Image                    Posted Image

Shane Anthony Walker                                              Christopher Dansby disappeared from the same playground three months earlier.

November 30, 2009
Philip Rosenbaum

(CNN) -- When Rosa Glover brought her 19-month-old son to a New York City playground in 1989, she had no idea tragedy was about to strike a second time in the same place.

In May 1989, 2-year-old Christopher Dansby disappeared from his grandmother's sight on that playground.

Not quite three months later, on a hot August day, Glover's son, Shane Walker, vanished.

As an intense search for both children generated media and public interest across the city, the New York Police Department pointed out other eerie similarities in the cases:

The boys were playing in the same area of the park when they disappeared -- Walker at 5 p.m. on a Thursday, Dansby at 7 p.m. on a Thursday.

Moments before they went missing, the boys were playing with the same children -- a 10-year-old girl and her 5-year-old brother, according to news reports.

In addition, Walker and Dansby lived in the same apartment building in a nearby housing project in Manhattan's Harlem neighborhood.

"That's a hell of a coincidence,'' says Ron Jones, a senior case manager with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, a nationwide clearinghouse and advocacy group.

Jones, assigned to the Walker and Dansby cases from the start, says leads still come into his office fairly often and he relays them to the New York City police.

"People who think they might have seen Shane call us up with a tip,'' he says. "They might be going with the age-enhanced photo.''

According to his mother, Shane was sitting on a bench with her and eating potato chips when the children approached and asked if he could play.

"So I said, 'He's young.' And they said, 'We don't mind,' '' Glover recalls.

While the three children played near the slide, Glover says, a man sat near her and started talking about crime, about how things happen to children. He even mentioned kidnapping. He showed Glover scars he said he had gotten in fights.

"I turned my head to look at all the scars on his body," she says. "When I turned back, I didn't see my son.''

The children Shane was playing with were not around, either. "I started walking around the park, hollering and screaming.''

The next thing Glover remembers is seeing the same two children re-enter the park through a hole in a wire fence.

"I said, 'Where's my son?' " The boy and girl said they left him in the park. Glover took the children to the police station. They were let go after extensive questioning.

Police searched and questioned Glover and her relatives. "They thought maybe a family member took him out of the park,'' Glover said, adding that police also interviewed the man with the scars and released him.

Abduction by a stranger is rare, says Sarah White, a case manager with the New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services, a state-run law enforcement support agency.

By far, most missing people cases are non-custodial parental kidnappings and runaways, White says.

Like Shane Walker, Christopher Dansby has never been found.

The Walker case is still active, according to Detective Cheryl Crispin, a New York Police Department spokesperson. The NYPD declined repeated requests for an interview or more details.

One lead in the days after Shane's disappearance was especially unnerving. Glover says she received a phone call saying her son was buried in an abandoned building. Police investigated and found nothing. To this day, Glover, 57, believes Shane, her only child, is alive. He would be 21.

"I just hope and pray that one day I see him,'' she says, speculating that by now he might have kids of his own.

"I would give him a hug and kiss and we'd go somewhere -- to Florida, anywhere -- just to get away, just to be with him.''

Glover and Shane's father still live in the neighborhood but left the apartment building years ago. Glover avoids walking past the playground.

"Every time I come in the area I start crying and feel depressed,'' she says. Police initially speculated, she says, that Shane might have been kidnapped and sold on the black market.

Some years ago, Glover appeared on "The Montel Williams Show," where a psychic told her Shane was being raised by a wealthy family. Glover brought a photograph of Shane and some of his toys to the show so the psychic could touch them. She said he ''was well taken care of and he was learning the piano,'' Glover recalls.

Though her time with him was short, Glover is comforted by memories of her young son. "He smiled all the time. He only laughed when tickled. ''He liked teddy bears and monkeys."

For a short time, Shane and his parents had a pet chimpanzee named James. The toddler enjoyed sticking bananas in the cage for James to eat.

Glover also recalls a trip they took to Disney World in Florida shortly before Shane went missing. He loved the rides, she says, but was afraid of Mickey Mouse. "He would just holler and scream. I had to carry him all around the park.''

Shane's recollections of her might be dim because he was so young when he disappeared, she says. Still, when she became ill a few years ago, Glover felt driven to hang on.

"I was praying that I survive so I could see him when they find him.''

If you have any tips about this case, please call 1-800-THE-LOST (1-800-843-5678).

#7 Lori Davis

Lori Davis

Forum Team Leader

• Moderators
  • 10,629 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern Ohio

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:23 PM

https://www.findthem.../cases/7460/15/
NamUs profile for Shane Walker - Case 7460

Lori Davis, Project Jason Forum Moderator
www.projectjason.org

Please help us in our mission as a 501 c 3 nonprofit: http://projectjason....y-campaign.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Project Jason © Copyright 2005 - 2014
Project Jason Theme, Site Design and Maintenance by Jeff Messick