Age at Time of Disappearance: 55
Race: White
Height: 71 inches
Weight: 100 pounds
Hair Color: Lt. Brown
Hair (Other): With graying.
Eye Color: Green
Complexion: Medium
Glasses/Contacts Description: Glasses with bronze colored wire frames.

Identifying Characteristics: Scar on top of right hand, previously fractured collarbone, previously fractured foot, appendectomy scar, vaccination scar on left arm, pierced ears.

Clothing: Light colored T-shirt, dark colored shorts.
Jewelry: Gold Mother's ring with two topaz stones, gold ring with square cluster of diamonds.

Circumstances of Disappearance: Unknown. Janie was last seen at approximately 6:00pm at a gas station in the vicinity of the 100 block of Veterans Dr. N in Huntingdon, TN. Her vehicle, described as a white with burgundy vinyl top, four door, 1983 Lincoln Town Car was later located on October 13, 2004 near the intersection of Grooms Rd. and Bobbitt Rd. in Carroll County, TN.

Investigative Agency: Carroll County Sheriff's Department
Phone: (731) 986-8947
Alternate Phone: (800) 824-3463
Investigative Case #: 1012041545

Print a poster: http://www.projectja...anieLindsey.pdf

#2 Linda

Linda
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2007 - 10:21 AM

The Jackson Sun
Nov 5 2004

A forensic team with the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation searched a Cedar Grove residence this week to look for clues in the disappearance of an Atwood woman.

Janie Sue Grooms-Lindsey, 55, has been missing for almost a month. Investigators searched the residence at 1010 Tenn. 424 in Cedar Grove. But TBI Special Agent in Charge John Mehr would not reveal specifically what they were looking for or whether they found anything.

Mehr also would not say who lives at the residence or how they might be connected to Grooms-Lindsey.

Grooms-Lindsey was expected to visit her daughter and grandchildren on Oct. 9, but she never showed up. Her daughter, Phelicia Morris, talks with her mother frequently and said it's unlike her to just disappear.

The family reported Grooms-Lindsey missing on Oct. 10. Officers discovered her white vehicle parked at the residence of an acquaintance, who was questioned by police but was not charged in connection with her disappearance.

Mehr said the location where Grooms-Lindsey's vehicle was discovered and the home investigators searched this week were different places.

''We still need people who have information to come forward,'' he said.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Carroll County Sheriff's Department at 986-8947 or TBI at (800) TBI-FIND.

http://miva.jacksonsun.com/

Atwood woman missing, TBI helping in search

November 6, 2004

JACKSON, Tenn. Police in West Tennessee are looking for a Carroll County grandmother who was last seen nearly a month ago.

The T-B-I has joined the investigation into the disappearance of 55-year-old
Janie Sue Grooms-Lindsey.

The Cedar Grove resident was expected to visit her daughter and grandchildren on October ninth, but never arrived.

Police found her car at the home of an acquaintance, who was questioned, but not charged.

T-B-I Special Agent John Mehr says anyone with information should call the Carroll County Sheriff's Department or the T-B-I at 800-TBI-FIND.

Authorities in West Tennessee are also still looking for Jennifer Marie Dorse of Dyer County and her two-year-old daughter, Kayleigh Marie Patterson. They were last seen by family members on October 16th.

http://www.wreg.com/...y.asp?S=2526283

#3 Linda

Linda
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2007 - 10:21 AM

Daughter holds out hope to find missing mom
Atwood woman on national missing persons website

Steve Short / 2005-07-26

Phelecia Morris is taking it one day at a time.
But the days keep passing.
And hope is a little harder to come by.
Morris, who lives in Sitka and with her husband, Tony operates the M & M Farm & Garden Supply in Milan, has spent the last nine months anxiously waiting for some news about her mother.
Janie Sue Lindsey, 56, of Atwood has been missing since Oct. 10, 2004 and is now classified as an “endangered missing adult.”
“It’s been very hard,” said Morris. “I have people ask every day if I’ve found my mother. I take it one day at a time. You just try to have as much hope as you can that something will turn up.”
This month Lindsey’s photograph, description and case information were placed on the National Center for Missing Adults Internet website (www.theyaremissed.org).
Lindsey was last seen at the Murphy USA gas station next to the Wal-Mart Supercenter near Veterans Drive in Huntingdon at approximately 6 p.m. Oct. 10. She was driving a 1983 white, four-door Lincoln Town Car with a burgundy vinyl top. The car was found abandoned three days later near the intersection of Grooms Road and Bobbitt Road between Huntingdon and Camden in Carroll County.
Ironically, Phelecia’s maiden name was Grooms, but there is no known connection with the road name. “When they told us the name of the road was ‘Grooms,’ I said, ‘You’re kidding,’” recalled Phelecia.
Morris’ brother, Phil Grooms lives in Trenton. Lindsey had four grandchildren.

Cedar Grove house searched
Phelecia Morris talked to her mother on the phone the day Lindsey disappeared.
“She said she was going to come over to see her grandkids,” said Morris. She was not sure whether her mother intended to come over later that day or later in the week.
The Carroll Co. Sheriff’s Dept. and the TBI have both investigated the case. A house on Hwy 424 near Cedar Grove was searched by the TBI, but no evidence was released.
The house belongs to a man described as an “acquaintance” of Lindsey.
There have been no suspects named publicly in the case, said Morris. Lindsey’s husband is not a suspect, Morris added. A man who reportedly had been driving Lindsey’s car was questioned by law enforcement officials. Morris is reluctant to say much publicly about her suspicions for fear that it could jeopardize the case.
“In my heart I know who had something to do with it,” said Morris. “I know she wouldn’t have run off. My mom came up missing at the same time of several other murders in Carroll County. They have found people in those other cases. They had about seven murders in seven weeks.”
“I’m hoping that somebody will come forward,” she added. “I believe that somebody has to know something. I’m trying to do my best to let people know that she is still missing.”
Morris arranged for her mother to be included on the national website.
Anyone with information about Lindsey’s disappearance is asked to contact Morris at her business phone, 731-686-2733.

Woman ran Atwood restaurant
The missing woman, Janie Lindsey, previously owned an Atwood restaurant called P.J.’s. At the time she was Janie Grooms. Her husband Pete Grooms died in 1994.
“My mom was real nervous after he died,” said Phelecia. After Phelecia and her husband Tony began operating the M & M store on N. First in Milan, Lindsey often worked at the store. She also helped care for her parents in Atwood.
"I just want to find her," Morris said in a Carroll Co. newspaper story. "I really miss her – she was my best friend – and her grandkids really miss her too."
The Lindsey disappearance is Case # 1012041545 NCIC #: M-354358561 filed by the Carroll Co. Sheriff’s Dept. (731) 986-8947 Alternate Phone: (800) 824-3463. The Sheriff is Bendell Bartholomew.

Janie Lindsey’s description
Name: Janie Sue Lindsey, 56. Missing since Oct. 10, 2004. Lindsey is described as a white female, 5 ft. 11 in. tall, 100 pounds. She has light brown, graying hair and green eyes. She was wearing glasses with bronze colored frames and a light colored t-shirt with dark colored shorts. She has a scar on top of her right hand, a previously fractured collarbone and previously fractured foot, an appendectomy scar, a vaccination scar on her left arm, and pierced ears. She had a gold ring with two topaz stones and a gold ring with a cluster of diamonds.

http://www.milanmirrorexchange.com/

#4 Linda

Linda
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2007 - 10:22 AM

Candlelight vigil held at Milan church for missing woman

published October 11, 2005
TONYA SMITH-KING

The Rev. Andy Rice was surprised to learn that Janie Sue Grooms-Lindsey's favorite scripture was Psalms 37.

"It just floored me," Rice said Monday.

Rice brought the "message of hope" Monday night at a candlelight vigil held for Grooms-Lindsey at Milan's Oakwood Baptist Church, where he is interim pastor.

Grooms-Lindsey has been missing a year as of Monday. She was last seen Oct. 10, 2004, at the gas station at the Huntingdon Wal-Mart, said John Mehr, special agent in charge with the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation.

Psalms 37 talks about "the security of those who trust in the Lord," about "shedding light into the darkness and of justice prevailing," Rice said.

With a year having gone by, one begins to come to terms with the possibility that she may not be coming home, Rice said. Then, there are thoughts about whose responsible.

"God knows where she is and whose responsible for what's happened, and in his time, it will come to light and justice will prevail," Rice said.

Grooms-Lindsey's daughter, Phelicia Morris, attended an annual candlelight vigil held in August for Milan teen Cacye Lynn McDaniel, missing since 1996. It inspired her to hold the Monday night vigil for her mother.

"She was my best friend," Morris said of her mother. "God's grace is the only thing that's helped me get through this."

In the last year, Morris has gotten connected with he National Center for Missing Adults. The organization printed fliers about Grooms-Lindsey that family and friends have been distributing.

Authorities have checked out leads that have come in the last year but need more information, Mehr said. He would not discuss any of the leads.

"We're still asking for people who may have information to please give us a call," Mehr said.

The TBI is working on the case with the Carroll County Sheriff's Department. The lead investigator on the case is David Bunn of the Sheriff's Department. He was to give an update on the case at Monday's vigil. He could not be reached earlier Monday for comment.

"I feel like somebody knows something and that they need to come forward," Morris said. "They can do it anonymously if they need to."

How to help
Anyone with any information about the disappearance of Janie Sue Grooms-Lindsey should call the Carroll County Sheriff's Department at 986-8947 or the TBI at 1-800-TBI-FIND.

http://www.jacksonsun.com/

#5 Linda

Linda
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2007 - 10:23 AM

http://www.jacksonsu.../606150305/1002

Balloons for the missing

Rally part of 16-state tour to sharpen focus on cold missing persons cases

Originally published June 15, 2006
By TONYA SMITH-KING
tsmithking@jacksonsun.com

MILAN - Imagine a plane with 144 passengers crashing every hour and 23 minutes.

The more than 850,000 missing persons cases the FBI has on file is the equivalent of the total number of people that would be killed each year in those crashes.

Monica Caison uses that scenario to paint a clearer picture of the urgency of the missing persons' dilemma nationwide.

"Now, we know that if a plane was going down every hour and a half in America, everybody would get on board to find a solution and put a stop to it," Caison said. "We have a disaster going on with the number of missing people. We've got to get these cases solved. We've got to get these people's faces out there."

Caison is the founder and executive director of the Community United Effort, also called the CUE Center for Missing Persons. She stopped at Milan's M&M Farm & Garden Supply Wednesday for a rally that was part of a third annual tour to bring more attention to cold missing persons cases.

This year's tour focused on 16 states along the United States eastern border from Connecticut to Florida. More than 20 rallies will have been held in those states by the time the nine-day tour ends.

The tour started June 9.

The rally drew those with missing friends and loved ones from throughout the region.

M&M is owned by Phelicia Morris, whose mother, Janie Sue Grooms-Lindsey, went missing Oct. 10, 2004, from Huntingdon.

"Sometimes cases are pushed to the back burner, but we hope to generate more awareness of the missing in Tennessee and in our local area," Morris said in a news release on the event.

A support group she recently founded for people with missing loved ones meets monthly in Gibson County. She believes it is now part of her life's purpose to help such people.

Amanda Tittle of Dyersburg and her family were among those attending Wednesday evening's rally. Tittle's father, Freddie Louis Whittiemore, disappeared last Father's Day from Stanton.

"It's a good thing," Tittle said of the rally. "More people should be aware of situations like this."

Carroll County Sheriff's investigators David Bunn and Becky Keith urged anyone who knows anything about Lindsey's disappearance to call them.

"No matter how insignificant people think their information is, it might be something that we need," Keith said.

Gibson County's other high-profile missing person's case is that of Cayce Lynn McDaniel. McDaniel, then 14, was last seen at her Milan residence on Aug. 16, 1996.

Police average two to three tips a month on McDaniel's case, Milan Police Chief Ken Nolan said.

They check out every tip, no matter how far-fetched, Nolan said.

He added that they're still looking for one person of interest who knew her who moved from the area the night she disappeared, a bit of information that has never been released. Nolan declined to give the man's name.

Rally participants released yellow and white balloons bearing fliers with information about Lindsey's and McDaniel's disappearance. The balloons' colors represented the national colors for missing persons.

"I think this is wonderful," Nolan said of the rally. "It keeps the awareness at a high level ... I think it might trigger somebody to come forward."

What to know
Anyone with any information about the disappearance of any of the persons mentioned in this story should call local police or 1-800-TBI-FIND.

The Missing Persons Support Group meets at 7 p.m. the third Monday of each month at Double Springs Cumberland Presbyterian Church, located at 18 Double Springs Road, just four miles west of Milan, off Tenn. 79.

For more information about the group, call Phelicia Morris at 686-2733 or the church's pastor, the Rev. Russell Little at 414-2323.

For more information on the CUE Center for Missing Persons, visit www.ncmissingpersons.org

#6 Linda

Linda
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2007 - 10:23 AM

http://www.jacksonsu.../606140307/1002

Rally set today for missing persons
June 14, 2006

A Rally for the Missing - specifically Janie Sue Grooms Lindsey and Cayce Lynn McDaniel - will be held at 4 p.m. today at M&M Farm & Garden Supply, 6040 N. First St. in Milan.

Along with local advocates, members of the Community United Effort Center, a Wilmington, N.C., group focused on issues of lost and missing persons, will be there to raise awareness of the issue on a local and national basis. CUE Center is on a 25-stop tour through 11 states, including the cities of Milan and Madison in Middle Tennessee.

Lindsey, 56, has been missing since Oct. 10, 2004, when she was last seen at a gas station in the vicinity of Veterans Drive North in Huntingdon.

McDaniel has been missing since Aug. 16, 1996. She was 14 at the time, and last seen entering her home in Milan.

A release of balloons, carrying fliers seeking information about Lindsey and McDaniel, will end the rally.

#7 Denise

Denise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,184 posts
  • LocationMetropolitan St. Louis

Posted 13 October 2007 - 08:40 PM

Janie has now been missing for three years.  Our hearts and prayers are with her family.

#8 Kelly

Kelly

President and Founder

• Administrators
  • 7,433 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:10 AM

http://www.mckenzieb...authorities.htm

Authorities Investigate Female Skeletal Remains Found in Creek

1/15/08

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, Carroll County Sheriff’s Department, and Carroll County Coroner Steve Cantrell began a joint investigation Wednesday, January 9, after human skeletal remains were found in a low-lying, partially dry creek, just outside the city limits of Atwood.

Authorities do not yet know how long the remains have been in the creek, but speculate the person died one year or less ago, according to John Mehr, special agent in charge with the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation. Some of the remains were found in the creek and some nearby, the agent said.

On Friday, the remains had been identified as female, according to Mehr, who would not comment on the age or race of the person.

“We’re looking at an individual that we believe it may be,” said Mehr, who noted there are several persons missing around West Tennessee.

The agent confirmed the individual had been reported to authorities as missing.

A resident who lives near the creek area called the sheriff’s department just after 4 p.m. Wednesday to report that he had found the remains.

Cantrell arrived on the scene and contacted the assistant coordinator of University of Tennessee Forensic Anthropological Department in Knoxville, who stated members of her department would travel to Carroll County to excavate the remains.

On Thursday, Dr. Rebecca Wilson and her assistant, Donna McCarthy, arrived and collected the remains to take back to Knoxville.

Herb Murphy, certified diver with the Carroll County Rescue Squad, was also on the scene and helped with the excavation.

The anthropologists will carefully examine the remains and compare to information available concerning missing persons, said Cantrell.

Included among area persons listed as missing in recent months is Jenessa Lindsey of Milan. On August 6, 2007, an anonymous caller issued a report to a Milan police officer concerning the whereabouts of Lindsey, age 34. Lindsey, a white female with reddish hair, was reported missing after a complaint about a welfare check. Milan Police Department issued a BOLO (be on the lookout) for Ms. Lindsey, who was last seen wearing blue jeans, a tee shirt and a backpack.

MPD officers interviewed those who were known to be with Ms. Lindsey before her disappearance, and witnesses said she left in good spirits.

Ironically, Jenessa Lindsey is the sister-in-law of Janie Sue Lindsey, 56, of Atwood, who was reported missing on Oct. 10, 2004 and is now classified as an “endangered missing adult.”

Janie Sue Lindsey was last seen at the Murphy USA gas station next to the Wal-Mart Super center near Veterans Drive in Huntingdon at approximately 6 p.m. Oct. 10. She was driving a 1983 white, four-door Lincoln Town Car with a burgundy vinyl top. The car was found abandoned three days later near the intersection of Grooms Road and Bobbitt Road between Huntingdon and Camden in Carroll County.

Kelly Murphy, Mother of Missing Jason Jolkowski
President and Founder,
Project Jason
www.projectjason.org

Please help us in our mission as a 501 c 3 nonprofit: http://projectjason....y-campaign.html

If you have seen any of our missing persons, please call the law enforcement agency listed on the post. All missing persons are loved by someone, and their families deserve to find the answers they seek in regards to the disappearance.

#9 Denise

Denise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,184 posts
  • LocationMetropolitan St. Louis

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:07 PM

Janie has now been missing for 4 years.  Our thoughts and prayers are with her family.

Print a poster: http://www.projectja...anieLindsey.pdf

#10 Lori Davis

Lori Davis

Forum Team Leader

• Moderators
  • 10,641 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern Ohio

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:26 PM

https://www.findthem...g.org/cases/151
NamUs profile for Janie Sue Lindsey

Lori Davis, Project Jason Forum Moderator
www.projectjason.org
Help us for free when you shop online or do a websearch:
http://www.goodsearc...harityid=857029

Please help us in our mission as a 501 c 3 nonprofit: http://projectjason....y-campaign.html

If you have seen any of our missing persons, please call the law enforcement agency listed on the post. All missing persons are loved by someone, and their families deserve to find the answers they seek in regards to the disappearance.

#11 Kelly

Kelly

President and Founder

• Administrators
  • 7,433 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 10 October 2009 - 09:24 AM

AAN Annual Poster Notify Sent to AAN Subscribers  Code 55

Help us find the missing: Become an AAN Member and receive notifications about missing persons via email.

Click here to become a part of the solution: http://www.projectja...awareness.shtml

Kelly Murphy, Mother of Missing Jason Jolkowski
President and Founder,
Project Jason
www.projectjason.org

Please help us in our mission as a 501 c 3 nonprofit: http://projectjason....y-campaign.html

#12 Jenn

Jenn

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 5,706 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 19 March 2010 - 05:24 AM

Charley Project Profile for Janie: http://www.charleypr...dsey_janie.html

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Jennifer, Project Jason Forum Moderator
www.projectjason.org
Help us for free when you shop online or do a websearch:
http://www.goodsearc...harityid=857029

Help us find the missing: Become an AAN Member
http://www.projectja...awareness.shtml

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Project Jason © Copyright 2005 - 2014
Project Jason Theme, Site Design and Maintenance by Jeff Messick