#21 Kathylene

Kathylene
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:38 PM

NJ.com: Everything Jersey

Case of missing Warren firefighter still baffles
Family, authorities hold out hope she remains alive

Sunday, February 18, 2007

When Patrick Haddican bumps into friends on the street he finds many times there is nothing to say.

Four months after his daughter, a Warren Township firefighter and Army veteran, vanished from her home, Haddican and the rest of his family are finding friends and acquaintances have grown conspicuously uncomfortable around them.

"People start getting embarrassed about asking how things are going," said Haddican. "Anytime people want to ask, it's fine by us."

Margaret Haddican-McEnroe, a 29-year-old Warren native, was last seen by her husband, Timothy McEnroe, at home on Oct. 10. According to police, when McEnroe returned from work, Haddican-McEnroe was gone. Their three children, including the couple's 5-month-old, were left unsupervised.

Her case has not only drawn national attention and been featured repeatedly by CNN's Nancy Grace, but her smiling face appears on posters in most store windows around Warren.

"I notice when I see people, they want to ask, but they don't," said Timothy McEnroe. "It's tough."

For Sarah, Haddican-McEnroe's 9-year-old daughter from a previous relationship, "she doesn't want to talk about it," her grandfather said. In the beginning, constant questions at school were overwhelming.

"It was very uncomfortable for her in school," Haddican said. "She was bombarded."

Sometimes, in a rare acknowledgment, Sarah says "she misses mommy," Haddican said.

[align=center]Click on the link provided above to read the complete news article.[/align]

#22 Kathylene

Kathylene
  • Guests

Family Website

Help us Find Margaret Haddican-McEnroe

If you have seen any of our missing persons, please call the law enforcement agency listed on the post. All missing persons are loved by someone, and their families deserve to find the answers they seek in regards to the disappearance.

#23 Kathylene

Kathylene
  • Guests

Courier News Online - WARREN: After 5 months, Warren mom remains missing

WARREN: After 5 months, Warren mom remains missing

March 10, 2007

WARREN -- Tomorrow marks five months since Margaret Haddican-McEnroe disappeared from her home. No one has heard from her since.

Haddican-McEnroe's husband, Timothy McEnroe, came back to the couples’ Washington Valley Road home from running errands Oct. 10 at about 3 p.m. to find their youngest daughter, Melissa, in her crib. There was no sign of Haddican-McEnroe. McEnroe said he waited two days to report her missing because he thought she would return.

Melissa is now nine months old. The couples’ other daughter, Emily, is two years old. Haddican-McEnroe also has a daughter from a previous relationship, Sarah, 9, who is being watched by Haddican-McEnroe’s step-parents.

Haddican-McEnroe, 29, left behind her sports utility vehicle and her cell phone. She may have taken $11,000 in cash that McEnroe said has been missing since his wife’s disappearance.

Somerset County Prosecutor Wayne J. Forrest said his investigators are actively working on the solving the disappearance of Haddican-McEnroe. The incident is being treated as both a missing person case and a criminal matter. Investigators continue to investigate all options and follow all possible leads, he said.

McEnroe said he stays in touch with investigators but hasn’t heard anything new.

“I just want to keep her name and picture out there,” McEnroe said. “Someone has to know where she is. I know she is OK.”

Margaret Haddican-McEnroe was last seen wearing a grey sweatshirt with “ARMY” printed across the front, white plaid pajama bottoms and white Nike sneakers. She is described at 5-foot, 2-inches tall, weighing 110 pounds with brown hair and eyes. She may be going by her birth name, Sherwood Haley.

#24 Kathylene

Kathylene
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:39 PM

Courier News Online - As her daughter turns 1, no sign of missing mom

As her daughter turns 1, no sign of missing mom.

April 26, 2007

Of all the milestones that have passed since Margaret Haddican-McEnroe's disappearance last October, this is one of the toughest.

Today marks the first birthday of her baby daughter, Melissa.

"I just think about the day when she was born," said Timothy McEnroe, Haddican-McEnroe's husband. "Melissa wasn't due until June, so she was in the hospital with all of these tubes. I'm glad she's doing well now, but just like Christmas and other birthdays, this is a difficult time."

At about 1:30 p.m Oct. 10, McEnroe had left his wife and Melissa at their Warren home to run some errands. He returned at 3 p.m. to find Melissa still in her crib, but Haddican-McEnroe missing. McEnroe waited two days before reporting his wife missing, telling investigators that he was awaiting her return.

Haddican-McEnroe, 29, left behind her sport utility vehicle and her cell phone. McEnroe also said $11,000 in cash was missing from their home at the time of his wife's disappearance.

Since then, McEnroe has maintained custody of their two children, Melissa and Emily, 2. Haddican-McEnroe also has a daughter from a previous relationship, Sarah, 9, who is being watched by her parents, Patrick and Eileen Haddican, also of Warren.

Somerset County Prosecutor Wayne J. Forrest said Wednesday that there was no new information to disclose, but that the disappearance is still a "very active case."

Terri Diel, Haddican-McEnroe's birth mother, said she is frustrated by the lack of progress in the case. She called for friends and family members of Haddican-McEnroe who have been questioned by investigators to submit to a polygraph test.

"Until you eliminate the persons closest to you, you really can't move on," said Diel, who lives in Illinois and re-established a relationship her daughter in 1998.

"The realization is starting to settle in that we may never see her again," added Gene Diel, Terri's husband. "It just seems like everyone in New Jersey is doing everything they can to protect themselves instead of doing everything they can do to help the investigation. That's the most frustrating part for me and Terri."

Forrest would not disclose whether any polygraph requests have been made.

[align=center]Click on the link provided above to read the complete news article.[/align]

#25 Linda

Linda
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2007 - 01:31 AM

http://www.c-n.com/a.../NEWS/708060301

Family of missing Warren mom battle online
August 6, 2007

It began last November as a virtual community, a place to publicize, agonize and, yes, even theorize about the disappearance of Margaret Haddican-McEnroe.

But as the case has grown colder, the online world has become a haven for heated words between factions of Margaret's family that has publicly revealed deep-rooted resentment, as well as Margaret's own troubles before she mysteriously vanished Oct. 10, 2006

And while none of the involved parties have pointed fingers in the disappearance of the Warren Township mother of three, some posts made by her birth mother and adoptive sister on the CourtTV.com message boards have cast aspersions for all -- including law enforcement -- to see.
"I know the police look at it every day," said Tim McEnroe, Margaret's husband.

The online battle reached a fevered pitch July 22. In a post titled "Let's tell the truth," Terri Diel, Margaret's birth mother, composed a 1,394-word message that lashes out against Eileen and Patrick Haddican, Margaret's adoptive parents.

Within hours, one of the Haddicans' daughters, Christine Haddican, angrily retorted that Diel had "no clue about anything."

Rooted in the deep tension between the two sides are two hot-button issues. For Tim McEnroe and Terri Diel, it centers on the position the Haddicans took in a custody dispute between Margaret and the father of her eldest daughter, Sarah, now 9. And for the Haddicans, it is the 48 hours Tim McEnroe waited to notify the police after his wife's disappearance.
McEnroe said he has not posted on the Web site, but he knows he is the central figure in the continuing back-and-forth -- especially with the public knowing he waited before calling police.

Eileen and Patrick Haddican also are argued over and defended. But they don't post, either.

For now, the postings have calmed down, but at the very least, the dialogue brings attention to the disappearance, which could provide more publicity and more leads.
"I don't think it's an exact science," Somerset County Prosecutor Wayne J. Forrest said. "Sometimes, we have found that it's a help keeping any case that's an ongoing investigation fresh in people's minds. And one mechanism of doing that is through the media.
"But other times, people say things publicly that may not be accurate as opposed to when they have to say something under oath. It cuts both ways," he added.

Birth mother's posts

Terri Diel gave Margaret up for adoption almost 30 years ago, but Margaret searched and found her birth mother in Illinois in 1998. From then until her disappearance, Diel said, they enjoyed a very close bond.

So on the message boards about Margaret, Diel -- known as "Birthmom" -- is adamant about one thing: "Everything that I've posted about what she went through with the Haddicans was told to me by Margaret."

At the heart of many of Diel's posts is the divide Diel said existed between Margaret and the Haddicans, particularly in 2004, when Margaret returned from Army duty and entered a custody battle for Sarah with the father of the child.

In her recent postings, she also contends that the Haddicans didn't call Margaret for days following her disappearance.

With Margaret now missing for nearly nine months, Diel said the time for decorum is done.
"Am I blunt? Yes, I'm very blunt," she said. "But if there's an elephant in the room, I'm going to point out the elephant."

Diel's intimations originally brought about a measured response from someone named Truth4u. That is Christine Haddican, Margaret's younger sister and one of the Haddicans four adopted children.

Christine Haddican is equally as steadfast in her points of view -- that her parents truly and always have had Sarah's best interests at heart and that Diel is getting misinformation from some source.

Christine Haddican, 27, said her responses were born out of frustration.
"The thing is, this should all be about Margaret," she said. "And people tell me, 'Oh, Terri wrote these gigantic things, and it's a slap in the face.' So I want to be honest with everyone. I don't feel the story has been told truthfully, and of course you want to defend your parents when they need defending. They've been through enough."

Christine Haddican acknowledged the relationship between Margaret and her parents had gone through a rocky stage but said it had improved before her disappearance.
"She started getting involved with them," she said. "She would go to baseball games with my dad."

Mother's say

Margaret's adoptive mother has been told by her children and her brother not to visit the CourtTV.com message boards. But curiosity has gotten the better of her on occasion.

"I tried a couple of times to get on there, but I couldn't find it," Eileen Haddican said. "I think I was doing something wrong, which meant to me I probably shouldn't have been on it."

She said Diel, as the birth mother, has a right to post what she wants but maintains that she "doesn't know where she gets her information from." But she does have

On Diel's contention that the Haddicans took Sarah's father's side in the custody battle, Eileen Haddican said, "I don't know if siding ... is the correct terminology, but I guess it could be seen that way. There were things Margaret was doing that weren't great, and we could see that."
She would not say what that was, but continued.
"Margaret took it that way, that we were siding" with Sarah's father, but it wasn't about either parent, Eileen Haddican said. "It was about this little girl and doing what was best for her."

Sarah was living with Margaret at the time of her disappearance. Following the disappearance, Sarah went to live with the Haddicans.

Eileen Haddican also said she tried to contact Margaret for days following her disappearance: "I called Margaret's cell phone, I think, every day until Sunday. I didn't get an answer, but I left messages. Then I called the house on that Sunday, and Tim's mother answered the phone and said, 'Margaret's not here.' I said, 'Just tell her I called.' She said OK and that next day, Monday, we got a call from the police."
Eileen Haddican added that she had other reasons to contact Margaret the week she went missing.

Margaret required knee surgery and had planned to get a ride from her father.

With family business being played out online, Eileen Haddican said there's only so much she can do. But she has concerns about her granddaughter.
"Whoever is reading it would either know us and know it's not true or they don't know us and they're going to say, 'Oh my God, they're horrible people,' " she said. "But either way, there's nothing you can do about it. But we just want to protect Sarah from all of this."

The focus of the story

Christine Haddican said she had regretted the tone of her response July 22 and asked board moderators to remove her post. Both her post and Diel's that prompted it were removed within hours, although the Courier News retained it before its deletion.

By July 27, Christine Haddican had extended an olive branch to Diel while trying to put the Margaret Haddican-McEnroe thread in perspective.
"The main story is, 'Why is Margaret missing?', not attacking each other on a message board! I do truly apologize for my part in that even if I felt I was defending my family," she said. "I am truly sorry about harsh words that might have been spoken. I know a lot has to do with the frustration of what is going on. This is for everyone -- he-said-she-said is a very tough game to play when someone's life is at stake."
Christine Haddican also said she will no longer post on the forum, unless warranted.
McEnroe says he never will post on the site.
"I have no choice, really," McEnroe said. "It's like I'm on a tightrope. Everything is directed at me. I'd love to go on there and defend myself, but that doesn't do anything to help me."

The 48 hours McEnroe waited before calling authorities about his wife's disappearance continues to bother Margaret's family.

McEnroe, acknowledging that he and Margaret had their share of arguments in the past, said he was just heeding the advice of friends and family.
"One thing I would love to say is that haunts me to this day, about waiting the 48 hours," McEnroe said. "But that's what everyone told me to do. In fact, they wanted me to wait longer."

Eileen and Patrick Haddican recently took and passed a polygraph test given by the Somerset County prosecutor's office, Christine Haddican said.
McEnroe has been asked to take a polygraph test as well, but he said he will only submit if it is administered by an independent party.
"I would take one tomorrow, but they just want to do it their way," he said. "They've been doing everything their way, and nothing has came of anything."

Aug. 25 will be Margaret's 30th birthday. Forrest said her disappearance is still an active case.

#26 Linda

Linda
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:40 PM

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2007/08/ten_months_later_search_still.html

Ten months later, search still on for Warren mom

August 15, 2007

A group of more than 50 police and trained searchers have conducted an extensive search of a wooded area near the home of missing Warren Township firefighter Margaret Haddican-McEnroe, who vanished 10 months ago.

Police said the search, conducted late last month along Dock Watch Hollow Road, was instigated by a tip. The search lasted nine hours but yielded no clues. The Somerset County Prosecutor's Office and the nonprofit Central Jersey Technical Rescue took part, along with trained searchers from Passaic County and out of state.

Haddican-McEnroe, who will turn 30 on Aug. 25, is an army veteran and mother of three. She was last seen by her husband, Timothy McEnroe, at home on Oct. 10. Nearby Dock Watch Hollow Road winds through a heavily wooded area and has a stream that runs alongside it.

Searchers used dogs and mounted patrol but came up empty-handed, said Lt. Robert Glen, of Warren Township police.
McEnroe told police he had left to go to work and when he returned, he found his three children, including the couple's 5-month-old, alone in the house. His wife has not been heard from since.

Central Jersey Technical Rescue chief Eric Martin said the July 28 search was part of the group's ongoing efforts to bring closure to Haddican-McEnroe's family. He said the case was by no means a "cold case."

#27 Denise

Denise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,184 posts
  • LocationMetropolitan St. Louis

Posted 01 September 2007 - 09:28 PM

http://examiner.gmne...etters/032.html

Mother of missing daughter wishes her a happy birthday

My name is Terri Diel. I live in Illinois and I would like to wish a happy birthday to my daughter. My daughter will turn 30 on Aug. 25. I cannot send her a card nor can I call her on the phone. I have no way of letting her know that I love her and that I am thinking about her. My daughter, Margaret McEnroe, vanished from her home in Warren, N.J., on Oct. 10, 2006. In the last 10 months there has been no trace of, or word about her. Our family does not know if she left on her own or if she was taken from her home but everyday we wait and pray that she will return to us. So with your permission, I would like to try to let her know that we all love and care about her. Margaret is a wife, a mother, a sister, an aunt, and she is my baby. "Happy Birthday. Love, Mom." Anyone who may have information about Margaret or her disappearance can contact the Warren Township Police Department at (908) 753-1000; or the New Jersey State Police Missing Persons Unit at (800) 709-7090; or visit the Web site at www.webdb.state.nj.us/cgibin/ njsp/mpdisplay.cgi?mpid=392.

Terri Diel Livingston, Ill.

#28 Kathylene

Kathylene
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2007 - 11:09 AM

Today marks 1 year since Margaret disappeared..
Our thoughts and prayers remain with the family...

Read our blog about missing persons:
http://voice4themissing.blogspot.com/

If you have seen any of our missing persons, please call the law enforcement agency listed on the post.

#29 Kathylene

Kathylene
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2007 - 11:10 AM

http://www.c-n.com/a.../NEWS/710100308

Year later, missing mom case offers little closure in Warren

10/10/07

WARREN -- The balloons will fly in remembrance of Margaret Haddican-McEnroe today, exactly one year since she mysteriously disappeared.

While they'll be buoyed by her memory, each one also will float with theories on what happened to the mother of three, then drift off with the emptiness of unanswered questions.

"It's just really hard because you're not only dealing with someone who was wonderful," said Christine Haddican, Margaret's sister. "It's not only one person that suffered. There are so many hurt and confused by what's happened."

Here are some established details of what happened Oct. 10 -- the last time Haddican-McEnroe, 29, at the time, was seen:

# Husband Tim McEnroe told police he left his house in the early afternoon to bring baby formula home and returned at 3 p.m. to find Haddican-McEnroe missing and their baby Melissa still in her crib.

# Haddican-McEnroe's car and cell phone were left behind, but $11,000 in cash was missing.

# On Oct. 9, 2006, McEnroe reported a domestic disturbance between Haddican-McEnroe and himself. Before police arrived, Haddican-McEnroe had gone to her parents' home in Warren to vent about trouble in their marriage.

# McEnroe waited two days before reporting his wife missing because he, and advising friends, expected her to cool off and return.

The investigation has continued during the past year, with the Courier News confirming the police discovery of one of Haddican-McEnroe's ARMY T-shirts on a road near her home last Thanksgiving, several extensive police searches -- including one on Tim McEnroe's property last summer -- and the discovery of a chilling note left on McEnroe's windshield during the summer.

But when family and friends gather for a prayer service for Haddican-McEnroe tonight at Our Lady Of The Mount church, emotions will run very much in the present -- especially with eldest daughter Sarah, 9, wondering when answers will come.

"You have moments when you see someone in an instant and you start thinking there's a passing resemblance or a remote possibly that it could her," said Patrick Haddican, Haddican-McEnroe's father.

"But I think Sarah has to deal with that much more of that than we do. She's probably had it rougher than everybody put together. She misses Mommy."

Shadow of doubt

McEnroe, by his own admission, has had trouble finding the right words to describe the past year.

"It's been the worst roller coaster you've ever been on, put it that way," he said. "It feels like I'm in a nightmare that won't end, just waiting to wake up."

McEnroe said his existence nowadays is trying to care for his and Margaret's two baby daughters (Emily, almost 3, and Melissa, 18 months), while maintaining his landscaping business and keeping on police and investigators, without being overbearing.

At the same time, he knows people want to rush to judgment regarding Haddican-McEnroe's disappearance. His possible culpability has been raised on Court TV's "Nancy Grace" program and on Internet message boards.

"People that know me know I almost never care what people think," he said. "But at the same time, it's starting to wear me down mentally and physically. And it's not just directed at me. It's my kids, my family, my friends.

"It never used to get to me, but now it's gets to me -- because they are just rumors out there."

Feeling the wait

McEnroe never has been listed as a suspect in the case. He and Haddican-McEnroe did have a fight the day before she went missing, and he did wait two days to report her disappearance. But it was Haddican-McEnroe's temperament that has served as an explanation for both.

Even Patrick Haddican said he wasn't so sure Haddican-McEnroe was serious when, after arguing with McEnroe on the phone, screamed that she wanted to divorce him.

"She would explode just to get it out of her system," Haddican said. "That can be one moment in time, and then five minutes later, she could be a different person."

Haddican-McEnroe eventually went home that Monday night, and on the morning of her disappearance, she had her usual morning phone call with her best friend, Lisa, from about 8:30 to 8:50.

McEnroe said he heeded Haddican-McEnroe's request to bring baby formula home from the A&P and went back to work at about 1:30 p.m. When he returned home 90 minutes later to find Haddican-McEnroe gone, he hesitated calling the police. He thought if she was still angry, she'd be even more angry to return to find the authorities were involved. And he said he wasn't alone in this mindset.

"I asked some friends and people that I trusted, and I confided in these people," McEnroe said. "They all told me to wait. Now, ultimately, it was nobody's decision but mine. But there were people who felt the way I did."

Haddican-McEnroe, who was a volunteer firefighter in Warren, had friends within the township police department. McEnroe contends that after authorities took a police report, they didn't begin a search in earnest of Haddican-McEnroe for five later days for the same reasons he didn't call them right away.

"It just burns me up," he said. "Everyone is constantly asking, 'If you could do it over again, would you change it?' Obviously, in hindsight, you would. But if I called right away, I don't know if it would have made a difference."

Somerset County Prosecutor Wayne J. Forrest said it would not be fair to respond to McEnroe's claims, because McEnroe did not call authorities the day his wife disappeared.

"The one-year anniversary of law enforcement's involvement was the 12th," Forrest said. "We've been working very hard for the past year -- and when I say we, I mean the local police, the prosecutor's office, with assistance from state police, the FBI and private search-and-rescue teams -- to determine what led to her disappearance.

"There is a lot that has been done that the media doesn't know about, and we have not put out press releases on our efforts. And we will continue to work every day on the case."

Lost and found

Some events during the year have helped Haddican-McEnroe's case from going cold.

In the early morning hours of Thanksgiving Day, one of Haddican-McEnroe's ARMY T-shirts was found by a Warren police officer on Dock Watch Hollow Road -- a little more than one mile from McEnroe's house.

The shirt, which featured her Army division number, was sent to the state crime lab, according to police and family sources, but with no conclusive data. The shirt was not weathered and had not been in the elements for long.

In May, according to police sources, McEnroe found a note on his car that read: "I know what you did." The note, however, had no fingerprints.

McEnroe would not comment on the note, other than to say he called police after he found it.

"It was very bad," he said. "Just move on."

In late July, an anonymous tip led to a large search both on Dock Watch Hollow Road, near a quarry, and McEnroe's back yard.

It is not known what the final catalyst was for the massive search in both areas, but it lasted about nine hours and included the services of Warren police, Central Jersey Technical Rescue and Texas EquuSearch, a non-accredited mounted search and recovery team that assists in lost and missing person cases.

"It was intensive," said Eric Martin, president of Central Jersey Technical Rescue.

One person with knowledge of the investigation said search dogs "went crazy" in one spot of the back yard, but it was revealed that they were reacting to methane-type smell that came from a combination of dead animal and clay.

At the end of the day, neither new clues nor leads were found. McEnroe said he just wanted to cooperate with police requests.

"The basic rule of search management is anything can be a probability until it's proven not to be," Martin said.

Mending for Margaret

There has been uneasiness between factions of Haddican-McEnroe's family during the past year. But some of it has been with the intent of learning the truth.

There was a time Terri Diel, Haddican-McEnroe's birth mother, was publicly questioning the accounts of the Haddicans on message boards. But she also has requested search assistance from scores of politicians and law enforcement officials from New Jersey and across the country.

Diel also has kept her own records of every lead, written post or news item about the disappearance of Haddican-McEnroe -- all in the hopes of avoiding the heartbreak of saying goodbye to her daughter twice.

"I lived a lifetime with Margaret during her first three days of life," Diel said. "I was given another chance to see how wonderful of a person she became. Being a mom, I can wait forever."

Diel, who lives in Illinois, is unable to attend tonight's Mass. But her daughter, Nancy, will fly from Florida for the prayer service and will bring the balloons, which will be released at the Haddicans' home in Warren.

The relationship between McEnroe and the Haddicans also has been frayed for some time. Haddican-McEnroe had a falling out with her parents when they took the side of Sarah's father, Joe Mastrianno, in a custody dispute long before her disappearance.

And since the Haddicans now have custody of Sarah, the parents and McEnroe have not been able to communicate effectively regarding visitation of Sarah.

Yet this past week, McEnroe made a call to Haddican-McEnroe's mother. Eileen Haddican and friends hung some bows featuring Haddican-McEnroe's picture last week around Warren, to serve as reminder of her disappearance. McEnroe called to request some bows to display.

"He also said he and his family would be coming to the church," Eileen Haddican said. "It was a nice thing to do."

"We all have the same goal," McEnroe said. "It would be nice if we all could unite together and focus as one group."

But for now, what is most unifying those touched by Haddican-McEnroe is a sense of loss.

"There was a lot of misunderstanding and hurt feelings before," Patrick Haddican said of his family's relationship with Haddican-McEnroe. "But things were slowly improving. There was light at the end of the tunnel. That's what makes this so difficult."

"We just need answers," Christine Haddican added.

"It's something you think about every day," McEnroe said. "You try to be optimistic, but you also have to be realistic. It's been a very frustrating year."

Read our blog about missing persons:
http://voice4themissing.blogspot.com/

If you have seen any of our missing persons, please call the law enforcement agency listed on the post.

#30 Denise

Denise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:54 AM

http://www.c-n.com/a.../NEWS/710110303

Family prays for missing mom's return
Service notes 1-year anniversary of Margaret Haddican-McEnroe's disappearance.

By BOB CONSIDINE
STAFF WRITER

WARREN -- Family and friends of Margaret Haddican-McEnroe congregated for an emotional prayer service Wednesday evening to recall the missing mother of three on the one-year anniversary of her disappearance.

"Hopefully, with all the prayers of everybody together, something will happen," said Eileen Haddican, Haddican-McEnroe's mother.

About 60 people attended the 70-minute Mass at Our Lady of the Mount, conducted by the Rev. Sean W. Kenney. Kenney said the service was to provide "comfort and consolation" for those who knew Haddican-McEnroe and for the opportunity for them to "come together in hope."

Haddican-McEnroe mysteriously disappeared from her Warren home Oct. 10, 2006, with her baby, Melissa, still in her crib.

Husband Tim McEnroe told police that he had brought baby formula home at about 1:30 p.m. and returned to work. When he returned home at 3 p.m., he found his wife and $11,000 in cash missing. Her car and cell phone were left behind.

McEnroe waited two days before reporting his wife missing, anticipating her return. The couple had been fighting the day before. He also said friends advised him to wait before calling authorities.

No suspects have been named in the disappearance, but Somerset County Prosecutor Wayne J. Forrest maintains it is a "very active" case with daily work put into it.

The Haddicans and McEnroes have struggled with communication about the visitation of Sarah, 9, Haddican-McEnroe's daughter from a previous relationship who is in the Haddicans' custody. Patrick Haddican, Haddican-McEnroe's father, spoke at the end of the gathering and prayed that the "coming year will bring Margaret's safe return" and "healing within her family."

McEnroe, who has maintained custody of his two young children with Haddican-McEnroe, struggled with his emotions at the end of the service. It concluded with the gathering taking a candlelight walk to a nearby field, where a statue of an angel was placed at the base of a tree in Haddican-McEnroe's memory.

"It was very tough," a choked-up McEnroe said before walking off.

There were some difficult emotions before the church service as family and friends gathered to unleash balloons to the sky as a reminder for Haddican-McEnroe. There were 52 balloons released, representing each week Haddican-McEnroe has been missing, some with written messages from her family.

One extra balloon also was sent "for good luck," Patrick Haddican said. That balloon featured the message "expect miracles."

Although her birth mother, Terri Diel, could not attend the service from her Illinois home, Haddican-McEnroe was represented by other family members. Nancy Gallagher, Diel's daughter, had grown close to Haddican-McEnroe in recent years. So Gallagher flew in from Florida and helped orchestrate the balloon ceremony.

"It's tough because every time we talked, she would ask when I was going to come up," Gallagher said, choking back tears. "I just felt the need to come up and be here."

Christine Haddican, Haddican-McEnroe's sister, said the balloon and church ceremonies were "something she would do for someone else."

Adrienne Haddican, another sister, added the toughest part of the past year is what it has meant to Sarah.

"I have a very good rapport with Sarah," she said. "It's been hard when I listen to her. She doesn't know if Mommy's missing or Mommy left her or if Mommy's alive."

#31 Kelly

Kelly

President and Founder

• Administrators
  • 7,425 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 03 November 2007 - 11:09 AM

http://transcripts.c...1/02/ng.01.html

NANCY GRACE

New Jersey Firefighter Mom Still Missing a Year Later

Aired November 2, 2007 - 20:00:00  ET

THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

NANCY GRACE, HOST: A New Jersey firefighting mom disappears, seemingly vanishing into thin air, leaving behind three little children, including a 6-month-old left home alone. Where is Margaret Haddican- McEnroe?
(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Mom Margaret Haddican-McEnroe went missing, and then he waited. Husband Tim McEnroe waited 48 hours to report his wife missing, a delay some fear may have cost precious time in the investigation, time investigators will never get back. Runaway? Foul play? Investigators don`t know for sure, but three little children do know they want their mommy back.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: This quarry was the latest anonymous tip in the search for Margaret Haddican-McEnroe. Searchers were combing this quarry with dogs and on horseback for any search (SIC) of Margaret.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

GRACE: Tonight a beautiful young firefighter mom disappears from an upscale New Jersey home, vanishing into thin air, leaving behind three little children, her 6-month-old baby girl left home alone in her crib. Friends and family say no way would 29-year-old Margaret Haddican-McEnroe leave her baby home alone.

Tonight, an exclusive interview. The missing mom`s parents speak out in the desperate search for their daughter, Margaret Haddican-McEnroe.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: The morning of October 10, his wife allegedly called him, saying she needed baby formula. He went to the supermarket, he got it, he brought it home. He says that`s the last time he ever saw her because he went to do a landscaping job after that, from 1:30 to 3:00. When he got home, she was gone. But he did not report it to police until 48 hours later.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: There are really two scenarios. One is that she simply walked away. Her husband told investigators post-partum depression. She had even been talking about a divorce. Cops tell us there were no signs of foul play in the house at all. Nothing was turned over, no forced entry in the house.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: The day before she disappeared, she had come to our house and she made a phone call. And she was pacing and quite agitated. And I asked her, you know, Who`s on the phone? She said, It`s my bleeping husband, I should divorce him. And then the next day, she disappeared.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I actually think that she -- she wants to come back now, but she -- she might be afraid to. A lot of people are looking for her and she might be a little freaked out.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

GRACE: Nobody just vanishes into thin air, even in a magic act. Straight out to "America`s Most Wanted," Michelle Sigona. Michelle, what is the latest on Margaret Haddican-McEnroe?

MICHELLE SIGONA, "AMERICA`S MOST WANTED": Well, Nancy, Margaret has not been seen since October 10, 2006. So we`re well over a year at this point. From what we`ve learned from investigators is that she was home around 1:30 in the afternoon. That`s when the last person to see her at home was her husband, Tim, told police, Hey, I left the house, I had to go run some errands. I came back two hours later, not only was my wife not there, but my baby was left at home by herself. My wife is no where to be found. You know, she has been known -- we have gotten into some tiffs before. She has been known to kind of disappear for a little bit here and there. I didn`t think anything of it. He waits two days, Nancy, to call police. That`s when investigators come out and start their investigation.

GRACE: Michelle, let`s take it from the top. When he says he`s got to go do errands, what errands does he have to go do?

SIGONA: At that particular moment, Nancy, I think what he had told investigators that he just had to run around to a couple of stops, possibly the dry cleaners, possibly the post office, and he just had to go get some things done. And he -- what Tim says, what Tim tells investigators is that he arrived back at the house two hours later, and that`s when he noticed her gone.

GRACE: Well, that`s certainly a lean window of time for her to go missing now for all this time while he`s out running errands. Do police have any leads or any new leads, Michelle?

SIGONA: Unfortunately, not, Nancy. But I can tell you that through AMW.com, also, you know, your show and other shows have brought them tips, have brought them leads, and that they are exhausting all of them, going out, pounding the pavement, trying to figure out where she is.

I can tell you that she had an Army T-shirt, that Margaret was, you know, not only an Army veteran, but she was also a volunteer firefighter. They did find that T-shirt not too far away from her house just after Thanksgiving in 2006, on the side of the road. And it had not been exposed to the elements, so it had not been out there for very long. So what it seems like is that someone could have possibly just thrown it out the window and not have thought twice about it.

GRACE: Well, Michelle, how do we know that that Army T-shirt is her Army T-shirt?

SIGONA: Now, this is what investigators are telling us. They won`t say how they know. Now, I don`t know if her initials were in the tag, if her name was written on it, but somehow, investigators know that that Army T-shirt does, in fact, belong to Margaret. They have been able to confirm it and say, Look, this was on the side of the road. This is something that we found. This is another piece to this puzzle. But that`s pretty much where it all ends up, unfortunately.

GRACE: OK, Michelle, let`s get down to it. What was the state of their relationship at the time of her disappearance?

SIGONA: From the outside looking in, it seemed to be perfect. She was in a great mood. She had, you know, just had another baby. She has three kids, two kids with Tim and also one from a previous marriage. That child, the oldest child, is now 10 years old. Things seemed to be working out very well for her.

Now, but what Tim has, you know -- has told other reporters and other -- you know, other papers and things like that, is that, you know, I think that there was a little bit of depression. She may have been suffering from possibly post-partum depression. But of course, we don`t have Margaret here to tell us any of that, unfortunately.

GRACE: SO far, who has been questioned in her disappearance, Michelle?

SIGONA: So far, Tim, obviously, her husband has been questioned in the disappearance. I did speak to the prosecutor`s office earlier today. They have not named him as a suspect and they`re still treating this as a missing person case. Also, family members, friends, anyone who has had contact with Margaret within -- you know, within that time period before she went missing.

You know, investigators are just going out there. They`re doing -- they have done searches. The last search was just over the summer. They`ve searched some quarries. They`ve searched some water areas. They`ve also searched around her home and the surrounding roadways and whatnot, just searching for some clues, searching for some answers to help find this young missing mom.

GRACE: Well, joining us tonight, Michelle Sigona with "America`s Most Wanted." And we`re talking about a young firefighter mom -- she`s just 29 years old -- seemingly vanished without a trace, leaving behind a 6-month- old baby girl, there in the home, home alone, three children. Friends and family say no way would she leave them behind. I find that very hard to believe. There`s no history, Michelle, of her ever leaving the 6-month-old home alone.

SIGONA: Yes, there is not a history. She, apparently, from what we have learned, was a fantastic mom, loved her children, was always there for them and very dedicated. I mean, this -- like I said, you know, and as you said, Nancy, this is a woman who was volunteering in her community, served her country, was out there trying to do the best thing, being the best wife, the best provider that she could for her family, and it just doesn`t -- you know, and again -- again, the prosecutor`s office still treating this as a missing person case, until we know otherwise, until we have more information.

I`m just hoping that someone out there is able to contact our show, 1- 800-CRIME-TV, you know, or the investigators tonight with tips leading to her whereabouts, leading to something, Nancy.

GRACE: And speaking of that tip line, it`s toll-free, 888-577-TIPS. There is a $20,000 reward for evidence or any information on this young lady, Margaret Haddican-McEnroe. I know they`ve spoken to the husband. Is he still being cooperative, Michelle?

SIGONA: Yes, he is still being cooperative, Nancy. And as a matter of fact, there was a memorial service -- well, sort of like a prayer service -- that happened October 10 of this year, 2007, where he did attend that particular -- that particular remembrance of Margaret. And also, he did attend the church service afterwards. So he`s coming out into the community. From what we have learned, you know, he still is being out there and cooperative. So that`s, you know, a good sign.

GRACE: So I know -- are all three children still there with him?

SIGONA: From what I do know, two children definitely are still with him. I`m not too sure about the oldest child.

GRACE: Yes, the oldest child is from another biological father. What do you think is next in the investigation, Michelle?

SIGONA: At this point, Nancy, I still think investigators need as many leads as possible. Again, they will track down everything that they can to help find this mom. And I do think that, you know, whatever -- whatever nuggets -- I mean, sometimes people think -- and I see this all the time -- Well, that may not help the case, Well, I think I may have seen her. Folks, if you think that you`ve seen her, if you think you know anything about this case, any little nugget at this point is going to help investigators advance this case forward, anything that they can exhaust (ph).

GRACE: Tonight with us, Michelle Sigona from "America`s Most Wanted." We are talking about a young firefighter mom -- she had served her country in the military -- seemingly vanishing into thin air. The last known person to see her, her husband before he went out to run errands.

Back to you, Michelle Sigona. What do we know or of what do we believe she was wearing when she went missing?

SIGONA: At this point, there are some conflicting reports as to what she was wearing. But I can tell you -- I do want to give you a physical description of her -- 5-foot-2, 110 pounds, very tiny woman, very small, especially for just having a baby, I mean, as you can imagine. So very petite, very small.

She does have some tattoos, though. There are a couple of different tattoos. They`re very unique. She has a tribal tattoo on her stomach. She has a fire helmet on her leg, on her left thigh, and several tattoos on her back. So there`s a lot of identifying marks that people can, you know, take a look out for.

GRACE: Well, you know, interesting, Michelle, according to our sources, what she had on when she was last seen was a gray sweatshirt with Army written in black letters, the one you say maybe has been found on the side of the road. According to police, yes, it is. Why plaid pajama bottoms? Now, I find it really hard to believe a mom of three would go missing and go out into the elements, out into the world wearing her pajamas, all right? I don`t buy it. That is complete BS.

SIGONA: I agree. Yes, there really aren`t too many moms out there, especially, you know, busy moms, moms with a lot of kids, even though the other two were probably in school at the time, home with their child. You know, even if she had to run out and get something, most moms would probably put on a pair of jeans or a pair of slacks or something to run out to the car and go. But again, you know, all of those things were left behind. Her vehicle was left behind, as you mentioned, you know, her keys, her cell phone. So nothing was taken.

GRACE: So OK. So they want to believe she walks out in her pajamas and a T-shirt, no car, no cell phone, nothing, and she`s making it on her own. There`s no evidence of her ATM, her credit cards, no withdrawals from the bank, nothing. You know, I`m just not buying it.

Everyone, with me tonight, Michelle Sigona with "America`s Most Wanted." We`re talking about a missing firefighter mom, a mom of three, who -- apparently, we are supposed to believe she left her 6-month-old baby girl home alone and just disappeared into thin air. I`m not buying it.

And when we come back, our exclusive interview with Margaret`s parents.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: The adoptive parents saw her at their home the day before. That was after she had stormed out of her home after the argument with her husband. She was wearing her knee braces, went to her adoptive parents` home in the same town. She was on the phone, and her adoptive father asked her, Who were you just speaking to? And she kind of growled, I was just speaking to my husband.

I can`t conclusively say that the adoptive parents were the last people to see her. They were among the last people to see her. What we do know is that the husband did refuse to take a polygraph test, so that`s one red flag in this investigation. But the problem is, there are really two scenarios. Both are very plausible. One is that she simply walked away. Her husband told investigators post-partum depression. She had even been talking about a divorce. So did she just have enough, throw up her hands and walk away because cops tell us there were no signs of foul play in the house at all. Nothing was turned over, no forced entry in the house, nothing that we normally see in cases of abductions.

PATRICK HADDICAN, MISSING WOMAN`S FATHER: She had come over to our house, and that was the day before she vanished. She had come to our house. And she was wearing knee braces. She was wearing them on the outside so you could see -- actually see the knee braces.

And she had asked me if I would take her -- she had made arrangements with an orthopedist, and she`d asked me if I would come pick her up and take her to the orthopedist when she was going to have the surgery. And it was going to be in about a week or two from the day that she was visiting us. And I said, yes, I can do that. I was wondering why she was asking me, but -- so I agreed to it.

And during the conversation, it was shortly after, a little bit of a quick conversation when she got my agreement, she was on the phone. And she was pacing around, and it was fairly obvious she was agitated over something. And I don`t hear that well so I wasn`t quite sure what was going on, what the conversation was. So I asked her, What were you -- or, Who was that? And I said -- and she said, That was my bleeping husband. I`m going to divorce him, or, I should divorce him. I don`t remember the exact words, but one of those statements.

And that was about it. That was the last time I saw her, was actually during that conversation, and that last statement was the last I`ve heard or talked to Margaret. And that was over a year ago.

EILEEN HADDICAN, MISSING WOMAN`S MOTHER: I spoke to her the Monday before she went missing. She had called me during the day, and she asked if she could bring the kids over the next day. And then I spoke to her again at night and said that -- and she said she wouldn`t be coming over that night, that she would come over the next day and that she would leave the kids and then go back and get some stuff because she had asked if she could stay with us.

We really didn`t get into that because it was a short conversation. It was more of a, Would it be all right if I came over with the kids? Could we stay for a while? Could we stay forever? And you know, I`ll be over tonight. So that just leaves (INAUDIBLE) you have all night to talk about whatever it is. But then she had called and said, No, I won`t be over tonight, I`ll be over tomorrow with the kids. And that was the last time I talked to her.

PATRICK HADDICAN: She didn`t take her cell phone. Our understanding was that she had broken the cell phone.

EILEEN HADDICAN: The day before.

PATRICK HADDICAN: Yes, the day before, during this squabble that she had with Tim. She left -- supposedly, she left the children. We can`t see her leaving the children. That -- she just -- from us, from our point of view, she seemed to be a much better mother than some people might have thought. She seemed very, very concerned about her children. To leave her children, to leave the youngest one alone at home by herself just doesn`t seem to fit with the way she has been.

From what we understand, there is no indication of a struggle at all in the house. All we knew was that Tim said that $11,000 was missing. That seems to be the only thing in which something was taken or anything was unusual about what might have or might not have been in the house.

We heard that it was about a month, a month-and-a-half after her disappearance that an article of clothing had been found not too far from her house and near this abandoned quarry that we have in Warren. And it turned -- from what we understand, the article of clothing turned out to have been Margaret`s clothing. And that was within, I would say, a half mile...

EILEEN HADDICAN: Yes.

PATRICK HADDICAN: ... of her home.

EILEEN HADDICAN: That was on Thanksgiving day last year. And they did a nine-hour search in the area in...

PATRICK HADDICAN: Of the quarry and around the quarry.

(CROSSTALK)

EILEEN HADDICAN: You know, they didn`t find anything. The last search that they did was July 28, where they searched around the quarry again. They searched...

PATRICK HADDICAN: Around the house.

EILEEN HADDICAN: ... around the house, Duck Watch (ph) Hollow, which is a road that runs and has water on each side of it. And it runs from Washington (ph) Valley up towards their house. So -- and they did a more extensive search.

PATRICK HADDICAN: And they also searched around the house again. And while searching around the house, they had some specially trained dog dogs. I believe they`re cadaver dogs. I`m not quite sure. And they got some sort of scent right around the house. And they dug up the area, and I think it was a combination of something in the soil and decomposing animals. It was -- there was no indication or anything that it was Margaret. It`s just that they got this methane smell.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

EILEEN HADDICAN: Sarah`s (ph) a daughter of -- is not Tim`s daughter. She`s -- obviously, 9 years ago, Margaret was going out with somebody, and they had planned on getting married and -- which didn`t work out, but Sarah was born in the meantime. Melissa (ph) was 6 months. She was born in April, and she had -- was in intensive care for quite a while because her lungs weren`t quite developed.

PATRICK HADDICAN: Premature.

EILEEN HADDICAN: And show was premature. And Margaret spent a good deal of time at the hospital with the baby, and when the baby came home, it was -- she was on a monitor. And Margaret was very concerned, you know? And when they were taking her off the monitor, she was afraid of them taking her off the monitor because she was afraid something was going to happen and -- but they did. A nervous mother, so to speak.

From talking it her in the summer and September, October, I did not find that she -- she didn`t sound depressed to me. She was worried about the baby, but I don`t think she was particularly depressed.

If Margaret was going to disappear, I don`t think she would leave the children. With going through all that they went through with the baby and how worried she was, I don`t see her just leaving the baby. It just doesn`t make any sense to me. This whole thing doesn`t make any sense to me.

PATRICK HADDICAN: I think I would go crazy if I couldn`t hold out hope that she is still alive. And in that regard, we hope that everybody watching the program will keep us in mind, that we`re still hoping for her return, and someone, somewhere, for one reason or another, might have run into her or might know her or might know what happened that day. The police -- the fire department where she worked and the prosecutor`s office are offering a reward for information leading to her return, and I believe the last I heard that it was around $20,000. Again, for those watching, expect (ph) miracles. Please pray for her return safely.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: You have this young man that waits two full days before he calls the authorities to report his wife missing. Now, meanwhile, then he tells authorities that she has threatened to commit suicide, number one. And, number two, she`s suffering from post-partum, but yet you go to sleep for two full nights by yourself in a rural area not knowing where your wife is? Doesn`t make any sense at all. They have the big argument the night before. He goes two full days, it doesn`t make any sense. And then he refuses to take a polygraph.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

GRACE: Let`s get right down to the facts in the disappearance of this young firefighter mom. Out to Martin Di Caro with Millennium Radio New Jersey, 101.5. Martin, I`m a little confused about why the husband waited 48 hours to report his wife missing.

MARTIN DI CARO, MILLENNIUM RADIO NEW JERSEY, 101.5: Well, his explanation has and continues to be that he believed his wife would be coming back home. And that`s a sentiment that`s shared by Margaret`s birth mom and her adoptive parents. Everyone assumed that she`d be OK. The adoptive parents are annoyed that it took five days for them to be alerted that she had been missing. So they had gone about a whole week before they knew that their Margaret was not around.

GRACE: Martin, I understand her cell phone was broken. What was wrong with the cell phone?

DI CARO: I haven`t been able to pinpoint the reason why the cell phone was broken. It was left in the home, along with her SUV, when the husband Timothy McEnroe, came back from running those errands at around 3:00 in the afternoon the day she disappeared.

Also remaining in the home were knee braces that Margaret had been wearing the day before, when she had gotten into an argument with her husband and left the house. Police were called to the house by the husband. They were not allowed inside the home. He said that she wasn`t around. Police felt no need to further investigate. She wasn`t there. No need to make an arrest.

GRACE: That doesn`t even make sense. Why did the husband call police the day before?

DI CARO: They got into an argument. There was a domestic disturbance. Police showed up -- Warren township police showed up at the home.

GRACE: But he wouldn`t let them in. He calls police and he won`t let them in the home?

DI CARO: He would not let them in the home. He said she wasn`t there. Police say, well, if you`re not going to let us in and if you`re saying your wife isn`t here, there`s no need to further investigate. She did go to her adoptive parents` home wearing the knee braces. And then, of course, two days after she disappears, when police finally go to the house on the call, the knee braces are at the home.

GRACE: Out to Jon Leiberman with "America`s Most Wanted." Jon, what else can you tell us about the circumstances surrounding her disappearance?

JON LEIBERMAN, "AMERICA`S MOST WANTED": OK, we`ve been in close touch with investigators, and they are just stymied. What we do know is that the husband did refuse to take a polygraph test. So that`s one red flag in this investigation.

But the problem is, there are really two scenarios, Nancy. Both are very plausible. One is that she simply walked away. Her husband told investigators post-partum depression. She had even been talking about divorce. So did she just have enough, throw up her hands, and walk away? Because cops tell us there were no signs of foul play in the house at all. Nothing was turned over. No forced entry in the house, nothing that we normally see in cases of abductions.

GRACE: OK. That doesn`t even make any sense to me, either. Weren`t her knee braces there?

LEIBERMAN: Yes. Our understanding is her knee braces were there.

GRACE: OK. So if her knee braces were there and her vehicle was there, her pocketbook was there, her broken cell phone was there, her driver`s license, credit cards, all that was there, where did she walk to, to the mailbox and back? I mean, she doesn`t even have her knee braces. That doesn`t make sense, Jon Leiberman!

LEIBERMAN: Here`s the thing. She has $11,000, OK? So...

GRACE: Says who?

LEIBERMAN: Well, the husband says that there was cash in the home that she probably took with her. That`s what we`re hearing. So if she takes that money and she has somebody pick her up and she goes and starts a new life...

GRACE: Right.

LEIBERMAN: That`s a plausible scenario, Nancy.

GRACE: The phantom somebody. Let me ask you this, Jon Leiberman. I assume police have checked the cell phone records and the home phone records. Don`t you think if she had plotted some big getaway with someone, there would be a telephone trail?

LEIBERMAN: You would think that, yes. And police say...

GRACE: Yes, you would, wouldn`t you?

LEIBERMAN: You would. You would. But here`s the thing. There`s just very little evidence in this case, Nancy. They`ve checked for physical evidence, for any other prints, for any stranger DNA, all of this sort of thing. And at this point, all they have is the husband and they have a missing woman, a woman who, I might add, has walked away before, according to the family.

GRACE: I want to find out something else about that, Jon Leiberman. They say she`s left before. Had she ever left the baby home alone before?

LEIBERMAN: No. Our understanding is she left before she had this infant. No, she has never left...

GRACE: OK.

LEIBERMAN: ... an infant at home. She was a good mother, from what we`re told.

GRACE: Take a listen to this.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: He said she had done this before and that he thought she was coming back. And so he didn`t want to call in authorities until she came home because that`s what he thought was going to happen. And I think also, if they were having domestic problems, it could be an air of humiliation right there, that he knows she`s coming back and doesn`t want to humiliate himself by going to the police.

The morning of October 10th, his wife allegedly called him, saying she needed baby formula. He went to the supermarket and got it. He brought it home. He says that`s the last time he ever saw her because he went to do a landscaping job after that, from 1:30 to 3:00. When he got home, she was gone. But he did not report it to police until 48 hours later.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

GRACE: Joining us is Pat Brown, high-profile criminal profiler. Pat, profile it.

PAT BROWN, CRIMINAL PROFILER: Well, Nancy, I`m having a real problem with that 48 hours myself. This man has said, "We were best friends. We had this idyllic marriage. We were soul mates. I never thought I`d get married, but here she came and now we`re soul mates." This is a soul mate that supposedly he`s arguing with, wants a divorce from him, and on top of that, she`s getting suicidal and depressed in that marriage. Doesn`t sound like such a marriage made in heaven to me.

So here we have a woman who is obviously -- she`s having horrible problems within this marriage, and she`s on the verge of killing herself. She goes missing. He doesn`t worry about that she has killed herself, that she might be holed up in a motel maybe about to slit her wrists. He doesn`t contact her family, looking for her. She just goes missing after he was the last one to see her. Very suspicious to me.

GRACE: And also, to Dr. Patricia Saunders, the husband has also stated -- who is not a suspect, I might add. He has not been named a suspect in this case. We`re getting a lot of information, and it`s all coming from him. She had $11,000 that she took from the home. He saw her last, when she asked him to run an errand. All of this information is coming from one source.

One of the things he is telling police is that she had post-partum depression, and we can`t verify that with anyone else. What is it, and would that lead her to just walk out of the home without her knee braces on, without a credit card, nothing?

PATRICIA SAUNDERS, CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGIST: No, Nancy, it wouldn`t. Post-partum depression is a biological condition that results from hormone imbalances during and after birth. It`s quite common. One in 10 women have it. It ranges from mild to severe.

But there`s an impairment in the woman`s functioning, and there are no reports from anybody else that she had any difficulty. She was described by her friend, who she spoke to that day, that she was just fine and planning to do things, she was energetic. It doesn`t fit the profile of a woman who has post-partum depression. And her doctors would know it, if she did.

GRACE: Out to Eric Martin, another special guest joining us tonight. He is with the Central Jersey Technical Rescue Team. He is the search manager.

Eric, thank you for being with us. Tell us about your search for this lady.

ERIC MARTIN, CENTRAL NEW JERSEY TECHNICAL RESCUE TEAM: Well, right now, Nancy, for the most part, we`ve done everything possible in a tactical search element. The police department in Warren township, along with the Somerset County prosecutor, has done an outstanding job investigating it.

But as your previous guest has said, you know, the clues, signs, the evidence -- you`re talking about two days where weather has been able to destroy it, time has been able to destroy it, so what we`ve been reflex searching. We`ve focused on the high-probability areas. We were told that she was...

GRACE: What is that? What is reflex searching?

MARTIN: Reflex searching is when you really don`t have any tangible investigative intelligence or information. If a person goes out, based on the post-partum depression scenario -- and we looked at a number of different plausible scenarios -- well, they like to go into scenic areas. They like to go...

GRACE: And remember, she`s apparently on foot, without her knee braces.

MARTIN: And that`s the problem. I mean, at the time -- and I`ll explain to you, Nancy, the bottom line is, OK, even if she`s just traveling one mile per hour, eight hours per day for two days, that`s 16 mile linear distance of travel. We`re looking at an 804-mile radius that is not searchable, not by human searchers alone. And you`re in a wooded area, also. There`s a number of different places.

So we`ve been -- I mean, this is not a cold case with the Warren township police department, the Somerset County prosecutor, nor Central Jersey Technical Rescue Team. We`ve been focusing -- we`ve been out for four operational periods. We`ve been putting out human remains detection dogs, air scent dogs, human ground pounders. We even had mounted search and...

GRACE: What is that, human ground pounders? What is that?

MARTIN: Human ground pounders are specially trained personnel who understand the science of search. They`re clue-aware. They understand that they`re working potential crime scenes. They`re being very focused on looking for subtle clues that will lead them to the subject, versus just finding the subject.

GRACE: Hey, Eric, have you guys searched landfills?

MARTIN: Yes. At this point, we focused on the quarry area. We focused on the areas where people could have been placed. That is certainly a scenario.

GRACE: With us is Eric Martin from the Central Jersey Technical Rescue Team. He is the search manager for Margaret Haddican-McEnroe, just 29 years old, just an all-American good girl, former with the -- former with the Army, a firefighter. Husband comes home, says he finds a 6-month- old baby girl alone. Friends and family say no way would she leave her children alone.

Eric, how badly did it hurt your search effort the husband waited 48 hours to tell anybody she was missing?

MARTIN: It hurts our search effort immediately. The scent disperses with the air, wind. People walking through the area contaminates the scent. So we`re not getting -- I mean, it certainly was not helpful in any way, shape or form.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(NEWSBREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

CASAREZ: They did not execute a search warrant of the home. He consented to allow law enforcement come into the home, we understand, but they did not forensically take anything. And that`s different from a lot of cases, because many times they will give a search warrant to forensically see if they can find anything, because if they would find anything, sometimes that consent is taken away. And in a court of law, the evidence would be not admissible.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: We ran out of baby formula, and I went to the store and got that, and then came back, and I went back out, and I did another job. And when I got back, she wasn`t here.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

GRACE: A beautiful young firefighter mom seemingly vanishes into thin air, leaving behind her 6-month-old baby girl alone in the bassinet. Family and friends say no way would she ever have done that. The last to see her, her husband.

Joining us now, an expert in his field. You all know Dr. Joshua Perper, medical examiner and author of "When to Call the Doctor." Dr. Perper, it`s great to see you again. Dr. Perper, if Margaret Haddican- McEnroe has been out in the elements all this time -- her body -- is there any way to identify the body at this juncture?

DR. JOSHUA PERPER, MEDICAL EXAMINER: Oh, absolutely. The body can be identified by a variety of means, including DNA fingerprinting, which would be ultimately proof.

GRACE: OK, question. If she`s been out in the elements, would there actually be soft tissue to get a fingerprint?

PERPER: Most likely, yes. But, you know, this has to be shown by the facts themselves. But it`s possible, yes.

GRACE: Out to Jon Leiberman with "America`s Most Wanted." Jon, let`s go back through the clues we found at the scene. Was there a forced entry? Was anything in disarray? Did any -- who else saw her, other than her husband, since the day before?

LEIBERMAN: No forced entry, very few clues at the scene. She left her cell phone behind. She left her SUV behind. And as you mentioned, she left her 6-month-old in the crib. The husband was the last one who saw her. One would hope, if there was foul play involved in this case -- this girl was a firecracker. She was a spitfire. So one would hope that she would scream, yell, claw and all that sort of thing, so somebody would have seen something. That`s what we can hope.

The husband`s alibi, the fact that he said he went out to the store, bought some formula, he has a receipt to show that. So we know he did that. And also police believe that he did do the landscaping job that he says he left to go do and he came back and his wife was missing.

GRACE: OK, let`s back it up. Let`s back it up. What day was that, Jon Leiberman?

LEIBERMAN: That was October 10th, and he didn`t report her missing for 48 hours.

GRACE: OK.

LEIBERMAN: A major problem.

GRACE: OK. Let`s back up. Let`s back-time this thing. When was the last time anyone other than the husband saw her alive?

LEIBERMAN: Our understanding is the day before, October 9th, a friend or a family member saw her.

GRACE: Where?

LEIBERMAN: That I`m not completely clear about. I don`t know if she had a get-together...

GRACE: The day before. Do we know what time, Jon Leiberman?

LEIBERMAN: I don`t. I believe it was in the afternoon at some point.

GRACE: Martin Di Caro is joining us also, with Millennium Radio New Jersey 101.5. Martin, let`s back up to the day before. When`s the last time that we know of anyone other than the husband had seen her?

DI CARO: The adoptive parents saw her at their home the day before. That was after she had stormed out of her home after the argument with her husband. She was wearing her knee braces, went to her adoptive parents` home in the same town. She was on the phone, and her adoptive father asked her, "Who were you just speaking to? And she kind of growled, "I was just speaking to my husband." If I may just also add something about something that was mentioned before...

GRACE: Yes.

DI CARO: ... by a lawyer. Law enforcement sources have told Millennium Radio the husband has not taken a polygraph test, and they`ve actually made an offer to him to do it at a neutral site, and he has still not done it.

GRACE: Let`s unleash the lawyers. Joining us, veteran trial lawyer Darryl Cohen. Also with us, Penny Douglass Furr out of the Atlanta jurisdiction.

To you, Darryl Cohen. Why won`t this guy take a polygraph?

DARRYL COHEN, DEFENSE ATTORNEY: Nancy, for all we know, he may have taken a polygraph.

GRACE: Oh, please!

COHEN: He may have taken it with his lawyer.

GRACE: If he took and passed a polygraph, you don`t think they would have screamed it from the top of the courthouse steps?

COHEN: Oh, you bet. But that`s why I`m saying, for all we know, he took it, and it was either, A, inconclusive, or, B, he failed it. So as a result, they`re keeping quiet. You and I both know that`s an old tactic that a lot of us have used. Let our client take a polygraph. They pass it, here it is. If they fail it or if it`s inconclusive, we never mention it again.

GRACE: I`ve got to tell you something, Darryl. Many times, when a defense lawyer would come to me, as the prosecutor, and say, "My guy will take a polygraph at the crime lab, hook him up, please, can we do it this afternoon, any time you want, you can watch him take it," as a felony prosecutor, that would make me stop in my tracks and think twice about the case. That`s not happening here.

COHEN: Exactly. And that`s exactly what I`m trying to say, is if he had passed it, I think they`d be waving it and saying he is willing to take it again, because if he takes it again and he passes it, he`s out of here. If he takes it again, it`s inclusive or he fails it, then it`s one to one, one pass, one no pass, and you`re back to square one.

GRACE: And, Penny Douglass Furr, a lot of people say polygraphs are inadmissible in court. That is not true, if both parties stipulate up front before the poly is taken. Explain.

PENNY DOUGLASS FURR, DEFENSE ATTORNEY: Yes, Nancy, both parties can agree that it will be admissible in court, and then it is admissible in court. And the other thing is that he`s claiming that he doesn`t want to take a polygraph because he doesn`t want to do it at the police station. I can`t understand why his attorney or the prosecutor can`t say, OK, here are 10 examiners, we`ll go with any of those, any of these examiners, and then let him choose which examiner to take. I would let him take it anywhere else, also.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: We`re all concerned, very concerned. And if she`s out there, we really hope very much that she`ll get in contact with someone, she`ll get in contact with the police, she`ll call us. We all love her. We want her home. We want her back.

Kelly Murphy, Mother of Missing Jason Jolkowski
President and Founder,
Project Jason
www.projectjason.org

Please help us in our mission as a 501 c 3 nonprofit: http://projectjason....y-campaign.html

If you have seen any of our missing persons, please call the law enforcement agency listed on the post. All missing persons are loved by someone, and their families deserve to find the answers they seek in regards to the disappearance.

#32 Linda

Linda
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 10:35 AM

http://www.c-n.com/a.../NEWS/712200359

Officials hold two-day probe at scrap-metal recycling center
Investigation believed to be related to case of missing Warren mother.

December 20, 2007

HILLSBOROUGH — Rumors circulated Wednesday that a two-day police investigation at a scrap-metal recycling center might have been a search for missing Warren mother Margaret Haddican-McEnroe.

Somerset County Prosecutor Wayne J. Forrest declined comment on a search that took place Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning at Klein Recycling on Camplain Road.

Haddican-McEnroe, a former firefighter and Army veteran, has been the subject of multiple police searches since her mysterious disappearance Oct. 10, 2006.

The Courier News received a tip that the search at Klein Recycling, which included cadaver dogs, was for Haddican-McEnroe. That prompted calls to mother, Eileen, and sister, Christine. Both relatives said they had no comment.

Tim McEnroe, Haddican-McEnroe's husband, said he also heard rumors that the investigation involved his wife and called the Somerset County Prosecutor's Office on Wednesday.

"They just told me they're following any lead they get," he said.

Haddican-McEnroe was last seen by her husband at about 1:30 p.m. Oct. 10 when he left their Warren home to run some errands. He returned at 3 p.m. to find their baby daughter, Melissa, still in her crib, and Haddican-McEnroe missing.

McEnroe waited two days before reporting his wife missing, telling investigators that he was anticipating her return.

Haddican-McEnroe, 29 at the time of her disappearance, left behind her sport utility vehicle and her cell phone. McEnroe also said $11,000 in cash was missing from their home at the time of the disappearance.

McEnroe has maintained custody of their two young children, Melissa and Emily. Haddican-McEnroe also has a daughter from a previous relationship, Sarah, 10, who is being watched by her parents, Eileen and Patrick Haddican, of Warren.

There have been no suspects named in the case, which has received national attention on shows such as Nancy Grace on CNN Headline News.

Previous leads and searches for Haddican-McEnroe have come up empty.

In the early morning hours of Thanksgiving Day in 2006, one of her ARMY T-shirts was found by a Warren police officer on Dock Watch Hollow Road — about a mile from McEnroe's house.

The shirt was sent to the state crime lab, but no conclusive data was found.

In May 2007, McEnroe reported to police that he found a note on his car that read: "I know what you did." The note, however, yielded no fingerprints.

Last July, an anonymous tip led to a nine-hour search at the quarry Dock Watch Hollow Road and McEnroe's backyard. One person with knowledge of that investigation said search dogs "went crazy" in one spot of the backyard, but they were reacting to methane-type odor that came from a combination of dead animal and clay.

In Tuesday's search at Klein Recycling, Prosecutor's Offices vehicles representing the crime scene investigation unit and arson task force could be seen leaving the facility, as well as Hillsborough Township police vehicles. Hillsborough Police Chief Paul Kaminsky referred questions to the Prosecutor's Office.

An employee at Klein said the facility had a "gas main break" but declined to be identified for attribution.

By Wednesday afternoon, there was no signs of police activity at the property surrounded by a solid fence. The only traffic on the property was vehicles loaded with scrap metal.

#33 Linda

Linda
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2008 - 01:52 PM

http://www.catholics...ingpersons.html

Assumption hosts rally for missing persons

September 4, 2008

HACKETTSTOWN — By some estimates, there are more than 100,000 persons reported as missing in the United States. To Lisa Valentino, youth minister at Assumption Parish, that constitutes a crisis which demands public awareness and community action.

To raise public awareness, Assumption’s Youth Ministry hosted a stop on a cross-country tour led by North Carolina-based Community United Effort Center for Missing Persons Aug. 23 on the parish grounds.
The rally included a balloon launch in honor of Allison Jackson Foy, Patricia Viola and Margaret Haddican-McEnroe.

Family members of two missing persons were present at the event including John R. Mazalewski of Oyster Bay, N.Y., whose daughter, Foy, has been missing from Wilmington, N.C., since July 30, 2006, and Jim Viola, husband of Patricia, missing from Bogota since Feb. 13, 2001.

Haddican-McEnroe, a Warren Town-ship mother of three, was last seen Oct. 10, 2006.

Remains that may be those of Foy are pending identification. Viola and McEnroe are still listed as missing.

Following a Mass that was offered for the missing and their families, attendees had the opportunity to spiritually adopt a missing person and their family.

Jim Viola was instrumental in passage of “Patricia’s Law” by the New Jersey General Assembly by a vote of 80 to 0. Gov. Jon S. Corzine signed the bill into law Jan. 7, and it became effective Aug. 1.

Named for Patricia Viola, the law specifies protocols law officers must follow when a missing person report is filed. Law enforcement agencies must accept without delay report of a missing person and cannot refuse to accept such reports for any reason.

An important provision of this legislation is that when a person has been missing for more than 30 days, a DNA reference sample is to be secured from family members and forwarded to an appropriate agency for analysis and entry into the national Combined DNA Index System for Missing Persons.

DNA sample collection kits are provided without charge by CODIS.

Due to Jim Viola’s efforts, New Jersey was the fourth state to adopt a law patterned after a Nebraska precedent for this purpose. Viola also stresses the importance of flyers and other means of information dissemination to elicit tips and clues from the public.

A similar family tragedy occurred to the Mazalewski family, when Allison Jackson Foy vanished without trace in Wilmington, N.C. Allison, who is also the sister of Valentino, disappeared two years ago, leaving a husband without a spouse and two children without their mother. The great frustration for the Mazalewski family was that the local police seemed to not consider the case seriously.

As related by Mazalewski, the investigator assumed Foy to be a runaway and that she would eventually turn up. A chance advisory from the desk clerk at the motel where they were staying led them to contact Monica Caison, founder of Community United Effort. Through CUE, the family was provided the information and support necessary to getting Allison registered in the CODIS database.

“If we didn’t pursue this, she would still be missing,” Mazalewski said.

With DNA testing, at least identification might be possible. For a better ending, however, quickness in following up the initial missing person report is of the essence.

Father David Pekola, pastor of Assumption Parish, said he considers the youth ministry’s efforts an important outreach.

“It brings attention to the situation and educates people as to things they can do such as fingerprinting their children,” Father Pekola said.

Pastoral assistant Chris Demarco said such events “bring the community together” and show that people can do something positive.

The CUE 2008 cross-country tour for missing persons’ awareness began Aug. 21 in North Carolina. It plans to travel 5,000 miles in 12 days making 30 stops, such as the one at Assumption Parish.

The 17-state tour will publicize 110 missing person cases and six unsolved homicides. The CUE Center for Missing Persons sponsors a 24-hour hotline, (910) 232-1687, for support of family and friends of missing persons.

#34 Denise

Denise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:12 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2...dcase.haddican/

Firefighter walked out on husband and, later, into oblivion
Volunteer firefighter Margaret Haddican disappeared two years ago this week
Her husband didn't report her missing for two days

He says she had a habit of walking out, disappearing for days

By Rupa Mikkilineni
Nancy Grace Producer

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Margaret Haddican, a volunteer firefighter, Army veteran and mother of three, quarreled with her landscaper husband and walked out on him October 9, 2006. She cooled off at her parents' house and returned home later that night.

Her parents say Margaret Haddican never would have left her infant daughter home alone in her crib.

The next morning, she talked on the phone with her best friend. But later in the day, her husband says, she vanished from their home in Warren, New Jersey, while he ran errands.

Husband Timothy McEnroe says he returned home at 3 p.m. to find his wife gone and their 5-month-old daughter home alone in her crib. Haddican's car and broken cell phone were left behind. But, McEnroe says, $11,000 in cash was missing.

Police will not verify his story about the money. In fact, police aren't publicly discussing the case at all as Haddican's disappearance passes the two-year mark this week.

McEnroe did not call police until two days after his wife disappeared. When asked why, he explained that they'd had an argument and that she had a history of walking out, disappearing for a few days, and then returning when she'd calmed down.

Other members of Haddican's family say the couple were having marital problems and that she was considering leaving him. Her parents insist that she has never gone anywhere without telling someone, and that she never would have left her three children behind.  Where is this missing mother? »

Adding to the mysterious circumstances: Police had been called to their home the previous day on a report of a domestic disturbance. By the time officers arrived, however, Haddican had left for her parents' home.

She returned home that night, and the next morning, she had her regular phone call with her best friend. The friends talked for about half an hour between 8:30 and 9 a.m. Six hours later, Haddican was gone.

There have been many searches of the neighborhood near Haddican's home, as well as other parts of Somerset County, over the past two years. They have come up empty.

A month after she disappeared, police found an Army T-shirt belonging to Haddican on a road about a mile from her home. In July 2007, an anonymous tip led to a search of a stone quarry bordering her backyard.

Search dogs seemed to hit on some kind of scent there, but investigators could find no sign of Haddican in the quarry. Eric Martin, a member of the search team, said the dogs probably reacted to a scent resulting from a combination of dead animals and clay.

McEnroe admits it was a mistake to not report his wife missing sooner, but he also complains that the Warren Police Department did not start searching for her in earnest until five days after she first went missing -- three days after he reported it.

He says that Haddican's temper was widely known by her friends on the police force and that anyone who knew her would assume she just took off for a couple days to cool off. Somerset County prosecutors have not commented or responded to McEnroe's assertion.

And Patrick Haddican, her father, acknowledges that she "had a temper on her," adding that she "sometimes said and did things she didn't mean, in the heat of the moment."

Margaret Haddican weighs 110 pounds and has brown eyes and brown hair. She has a tribal tattoo on her abdomen, a firefighter's helmet tattooed on her left thigh and multiple tattoos on her back.

She was last was seen wearing a gray sweat shirt with "ARMY" written across the front in black letters, white plaid pajama bottoms, white socks and white Nike sneakers. She was also wearing a silver chain with military dog tags and a white-gold wedding ring with three diamonds.

Haddican, an Army veteran, may be using identification with her birth name, Sherwood Halley. She also may be wearing a black military-style jacket and carrying a black duffel bag with additional clothing.

She would have turned 31 in August. Her three daughters miss her, particularly oldest daughter Sarah. The child is now 10, and "not knowing where her mommy is and whether she is even alive is painful for her," Patrick Haddican said.

Police and family urge anyone with information about the whereabouts of Margaret Haddican to anonymously call the Crime-Stoppers hot line at 888-577-8477 or the Warren Township Police at 908-753-1000.

#35 Linda

Linda
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2008 - 02:05 PM

http://wcbstv.com/to...e.2.835861.html

Missing N.J. Woman's Investigation Continues

Oct 8, 2008

SOMERSET, N.J. (CBS) ― Margaret Haddican-McEnroe was a volunteer firefighter, Army veteran and mother of three. She's also been missing for two years. Police continue to investigate her disappearance, but no suspects have yet been named.

"No, I don't think she walked away. She definitely wouldn't leave without her kids," said Pat Haddican, Margaret's father.

The 31-year-old's husband, Timothy McEnroe, tells police he last saw his wife on October 10th, 2006, but investigators say he waited two days to report her missing. "We find that odd and what we find odder is that we didn't hear about it for a week," Haddican said. He also said his daughter had talked about getting a divorce.

McEnroe, a landscaper, was not home when CBS 2HD went by his house Wednesday. Police said neither he nor anyone else has ever been named a suspect. Lisa Giacone said she spoke to Margaret the morning she disappeared but there was nothing in their conversation to indicate she would pick up and leave.

"Her car, her car keys, her cell phone was left behind, broken into a lot of pieces and she left her cigarettes behind," Giacone said. "Whether you've seen Margaret or know of something or anything that may have happened to Marg, please let us know."

The prosecutor's office has refused to talk about its investigation. If you have any information about Margaret Haddican-McEnroe's disappearance, you're urged to call police.

#36 Lori Davis

Lori Davis

Forum Team Leader

• Moderators
  • 10,629 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern Ohio

Posted 10 October 2008 - 02:01 PM

http://www.mycentral.../NEWS/810090396

Two years later, family holds hope for return of missing Warren woman
By BRANDON LAUSCH
STAFF WRITER
October 9, 2008

WARREN - Patrick Haddican still sees her.

At work this week, he glanced at a woman, perhaps an athletics trainer or maybe a teacher, as she rode by on a golf cart at Watchung Hills Regional High School.

With a quick glance, he saw his daughter, with her dark hair pulled into a ponytail. But in an instant, the image of Margaret Haddican-McEnroe vanished with the realization that the passing woman was not his missing child.

"That's what happens. You see somebody, something, a glimpse of something," Haddican said. "You see somebody do something and it reminds you of her."

Two years ago Friday, Margaret Haddican-McEnroe vanished from her township home, leaving behind family members, her husband and three children — now ages 10, 3 and 2.

Authorities, without giving details, maintain that they are still actively pursuing the case, and a $20,000 reward still stands for information leading to Haddican-McEnroe's whereabouts.

Her family members say they continue to believe she's alive and well.

"We have two alternatives. One is she abandoned her three kids. That means we have to hope that she abandoned her three kids and the other is that there is some form of foul play involved," Haddican said this week. "Those are the only two possibilities. So we have to have hope. One way or the other, we have to hope that she abandoned her children, otherwise we're accepting the fact that she's dead.

"Hope keeps us from accepting the fact," he continued. "Time seems to be leaning that way, but we can't give up hope."

Haddican-McEnroe, 29 at the time of her disappearance, last was seen Oct. 10, 2006, when husband Tim McEnroe left the house in the early afternoon to buy baby formula. When he returned at 3 p.m., Haddican-McEnroe was missing and their baby daughter was still in her crib.

Haddican-McEnroe's car, cell phone and other belongings were left behind, but $11,000 in cash reportedly was gone. McEnroe waited two days before reporting his wife missing because he and friends expected her to return after taking time to cool off from an argument the couple had a day before she vanished.

There have been no suspects named in the case, which has continued to receive national media attention, and previous leads and searches have come up empty.

Family and friends are expected to gather Friday to pray and release balloons outside of Our Lady of the Mount Church. A ribbon adorns the mailbox at the Haddican home and trees in the front yard are decorated in Haddican-McEnroe's memory.

"All I know is, I can't believe this much time has passed," Tim McEnroe said Thursday. "Somebody, somewhere, knows something and by getting it out ... whoever wants to run the thing, I think that's great because that's what, as far as generating tips and leads, that's what does it."

When McEnroe was asked what he would say to his wife two years after her disappearance, he had a simple answer: Come home.

"That's about the best-case scenario I can think of," he said. "And if she didn't want to come home, to let someone know something. I don't know, but I would love to have her walk in the door right now. But it hasn't happened."

Print a Poster: http://www.projectja...aretMcEnroe.pdf

Lori Davis, Project Jason Forum Moderator
www.projectjason.org
Help us for free when you shop online or do a websearch:
http://www.goodsearc...harityid=857029

Please help us in our mission as a 501 c 3 nonprofit: http://projectjason....y-campaign.html

#37 La Vina

La Vina
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2009 - 01:17 PM

https://www.findthem....org/cases/1221

NamUs - National Missing Persons Data System-Margaret Haddican-McEnroe # 1221

#38 Kelly

Kelly

President and Founder

• Administrators
  • 7,425 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 10 October 2009 - 09:39 AM

AAN Annual Poster Notify Sent to AAN Subscribers  Code 64

Help us find the missing: Become an AAN Member and receive notifications about missing persons via email.

Click here to become a part of the solution: http://www.projectja...awareness.shtml

Kelly Murphy, Mother of Missing Jason Jolkowski
President and Founder,
Project Jason
www.projectjason.org

Please help us in our mission as a 501 c 3 nonprofit: http://projectjason....y-campaign.html

#39 Lori Davis

Lori Davis

Forum Team Leader

• Moderators
  • 10,629 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 05:30 AM

http://www.nj.com/ne...nship_woma.html

Family of Warren Township woman continues to search, 3 years after she disappearedBy Jennifer Golson/The Star-Ledger
November 08, 2009, 6:24AM

WARREN TOWNSHIP -- Three years later, friends still tell the Haddicans their oldest daughter is in their prayers. It’s been that long since Margaret Haddican-McEnroe, now 32, disappeared from Warren Township, leaving three young daughters home alone in October 2006.

Patrick Haddican will readily say that they are holding out for some word about his daughter, an Army veteran and volunteer firefighter who had a reputation for being feisty.

"I don’t think too many people other than us have hope, but we do," he said.

For his wife, Eileen, the words don’t come as quickly, considering the grim possibilities.

"I can’t see Margaret leaving her children," she said. "And if she did leave, I can’t see her staying away for so long."

Posted Image
courtesy of the family
Photo of Margaret Haddican-McEnroe taken Dec. 18, 1998 when she was 23, eight years before her disappearance.

As the search continues, the past few years have been a torrent of emotions. "It runs the gamut, from being scared silly, to thinking of foul play and wondering if she did this on her own," Patrick Haddican said.

They know police are still working on the case. Warren police Lt. Robert Glenn has kept them updated, calling whenever authorities comb another site, as they did twice this summer, to no avail.

The cliché is true, Haddican said. People want closure.

"You want to know what happened, and where is she and why, and how did you get there?" Eileen Haddican said.

Haddican-McEnroe’s birth mother, Terri Diel, whom Haddican-McEnroe found years ago, is confident she will again see the child she gave up as a teenager. In her hometown of Livingston, Ill., she gets the occasional query from friends.

"It makes me very happy, because I know that she’s not forgotten. And they do realize that when I start to cry, it’s okay. They haven’t upset me or anything," Diel said.

Families who have suffered the same frustration say an answer could be forthcoming, even years later. They reference Jaycee Lee Dugard, the young woman who was kidnapped in California as a child 18 years ago, and Piscataway resident Ben Maurer, who was 17 when he disappeared June 25, 2002. Both cases were resolved years after the victims went missing.

In Maurer’s case, "all kinds of leads had come in and everything was followed up on," said detective Sgt. John Donegan of the State Police Missing Persons Unit.

Maurer’s mother, Germaine, ultimately remembered a blood sample that was taken shortly after Ben was born. That yielded enough DNA to make a "blind hit" in the Combined DNA Index system, a nationwide database. Ben turned out to be the unidentified man who died in New York City on June 26, 2002.

Maurer said she held to her faith, even in the third year after her son disappeared.

"God and the blessed mother have been so incredibly present with us through all of this, and it has given immense comfort," she said, urging the Haddicans to keep praying.

The Somerset County couple say they have not stopped. Earlier this month they tied silver ribbons around town, with her picture attached. On Oct. 10, they held Mass at Our Lady of the Mount Church in Warren to pray for her safe return.

The investigation is ongoing, Somerset County Prosecutor Wayne Forrest said. "Unless the evidence proves otherwise, this is a missing persons investigation," he said. "However, we are nonetheless investigating all other possibilities."

He added: "We do not have sufficient evidence to conclusively prove that she is dead or alive."

Retired Warren police Capt. Arthur Ceccato said it’s not out of the realm of possibilities that the woman he has known since she was 5 will eventually show up. If she does, he plans to hug her, and then chastise her.

"The only regret I have is not finding her before I retired. I promised the family that I would do whatever I could to find her, or find the person involved in her disappearance," Ceccato said. "Knowing Margaret, she would not miss those children’s significant dates — christenings and baptisms and birthdays — because those kids meant the world to her."

Melissa is now 3 and Emily is 4. Sarah will soon be 12 and resembles her mother. Sarah lives with the Haddicans, while the younger girls live with their father, Tim McEnroe, who declined comment for this story. He last saw Haddican-McEnroe the afternoon of Oct. 10, 2006, but waited two days to report her missing at the urging of friends, who believed she would soon return.

"Any delays in reporting impact the investigation, especially from a criminal perspective," said Jon Shane, a professor of police policy and practice at John Jay College of Criminal Justice and a retired Newark police captain. "Something that’s gone on this long has got to be treated as a criminal act, until you can prove otherwise."

www.projectjason.org

Please help us in our mission as a 501 c 3 nonprofit: http://projectjason....y-campaign.html

#40 Lori Davis

Lori Davis

Forum Team Leader

• Moderators
  • 10,629 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:22 PM

http://www.app.com/a...an-aid-searches
New missing persons gallery on APP.com can aid searches
By JOSHUA BURD • STAFF WRITER • January 24, 2010

In October 2005, search teams found 10-year-old Manny Vargas alive under a neighbor's deck in Sayreville, where he had been for two days as authorities and volunteers scrambled to locate him. But a year later, 29-year-old Margaret Haddican-McEnroe went missing from her Warren home, setting off a search that authorities say continues to this day. Her family, meanwhile, awaits a resolution to the saga, which saw her leave behind three young children, her husband and other family.

It's just something you live with, and you don't know where to go or what to do,'' her mother, Eileen Haddican, said earlier this month. "It would be really great to have everything come to a head, and I know eventually it will. We just have to wait for it to happen.''

As authorities continue to probe her disappearance, Haddican-McEnroe's photo and biography remain on the New Jersey State Police missing persons Web site. The ability to post that information is one simple tool that's especially helpful, the agency said, even as newer technologies develop.

But more help is on the way: that same information for dozens of cases can now be seen on APP.com's Missing Persons photo gallery, giving readers the chance to help law enforcement in their searches for missing people.

Readers can see the gallery by clicking on www.APP.com/missing.

"It just gives everybody more exposure,'' said Detective Sgt. John Donegan, a supervisor in the New Jersey State Police Missing Persons Unit. "It brings the missing to people's attention when they wouldn't normally be looking for them.''

APP.com readers also can learn when authorities find a missing person such as Yzury Bautista, 16, who went missing in February 2008 from Ocean City and was located on Wednesday. Also found that day was 16-year-old Jakob Book, a Phillipsburg, Pa., boy who reportedly ran away from home last November.

On Saturday, nearly 100 missing persons were featured on APP.com. The photos are also featured on other Gannett New Jersey newspaper web sites.

The State Police worked on 16,345 missing persons cases in New Jersey in 2009, most of which were cleared by year's end, according to agency statistics. As of last month, there were 1,143 active cases statewide.

Posting many of those cases online has proved useful to authorities for years. State Police Investigator Heidi Dalton said the Web makes photos and bios more portable for officers in the field, who can access the information on their cell phones or laptops, rather than wait for a fax or e-mail.

"They can just save it and use it, or make a flyer, from the photo on the Web site,'' said Dalton, who is the state's so-called clearinghouse manager for missing persons cases and distributes the information to as many resources as possible.

The Internet has long factored into the search for Haddican-McEnroe. A Google search of her name turns up dozens of Web sites, articles, photos and videos related to the high-profile case. And at one point, her mother said, the family sent out her information through a chain e-mail that reached as far as Nebraska.

But the family said the prospect of having their case -- and scores of others -- revisited on a Gannett New Jersey newspaper site is a positive step, given the disconnect among different parts of the region.

"We might not know about any (case) from Middlesex, but that would be a big thing where everybody would know everybody,'' said Eileen Haddican, whose family has lived in Warren for 25 years.

Donegan, the State Police sergeant, also cautioned that the Internet has "made the world that much smaller,'' sometimes making it tougher for investigators. For instance, a runaway could have used a social networking site to befriend a person across the country, requiring police to cast an even wider net when searching for the runaway.

This is especially true in New Jersey, which can be a hub for the region and has a host of ways to get out of the state and away from the reach of local search-and-rescue teams, he said.

The State Police Web site also features other types of information, including details on unidentified persons and statewide fatal accident statistics. With those tools and with its technology for missing persons searches, the agency serves, in large part, as an assisting agency for the state's more than 500 police agencies.

And while the online features are the mark of a law enforcement agency in the 21st century, Donegan said there's one particular element to a missing persons case that hasn't changed.

"It gets down to good old-fashioned police work,'' he said. "You have to accumulate the facts, sort through them and you have to follow up on those facts. You interview people and as the information comes in, you make a knowledgeable decision on how you're going to go about your investigation.''

www.projectjason.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Project Jason © Copyright 2005 - 2014
Project Jason Theme, Site Design and Maintenance by Jeff Messick