Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Denise

Missing Boy: Giovanni Gonzalez - MA - 08/15/2008

82 posts in this topic

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/09/11/police_broaden_search_for_lynn_boy/

Police broaden search for Lynn boy

Essex DA thinks 5-year-old is alive

By John R. Ellement

Globe Staff / September 11, 2008

Investigators searching for a 5-year-old boy who disappeared last month while visiting his father in Lynn are expanding their search to include other North Shore coastal areas, according to the official leading the effort.

Jonathan Blodgett, the Essex district attorney, also said in a phone interview yesterday that State Police and Lynn police continue to explore the possibility that someone might have assisted the father in the child's disappearance - but have so far found no evidence to support that theory.

"We have no information or evidence to date that there was an accomplice, but we are exploring that possibility only given the fact that the father had no visible means of transportation, save a bicycle," Blodgett said.

Police and prosecutors have been searching for Giovanni Gonzalez, who was last seen Aug. 16 playing with his father, Ernesto Gonzalez, near the elder Gonzalez's Brightwood Terrace apartment in downtown Lynn.

The child had been brought to Lynn for a weekend visit by his mother, Daisy Colon, who lives in East Boston. But Ernesto Gonzalez, who is currently being held on $500,000 cash bail in the Essex County jail on a child endangerment charge, said Giovanni was never with him, according to court records. He has refused to talk further with investigators.

In a phone interview yesterday, Colon said she is frustrated she has not spoken with her son in 23 days. But, she said, authorities have been persistent in their search, and she is optimistic there will be a positive outcome.

"I know in my heart, he is still out there. He's alive," Colon said.

Colon said that she now wishes she had been trained as a private investigator and not in business accounting, as she was years ago.

"It gets frustrating for me, and sometimes I wish I could do more," she said, adding that she believes it is best to let law enforcement lead the search for her son.

A Lynn police spokesman, Lieutenant William Sharpe, said his department remains committed to finding Giovanni.

In a separate phone interview, Blodgett said he is convinced the boy is alive. He said investigators initially focused their investigation on areas that Gonzalez and his son could reach on foot or by mass transit because the father does not own a car.

He said investigators, including divers, have searched Flax Pond multiple times because it is close to the father's apartment. In the coming days, a State Police search team will probably scour some other North Shore coastal areas, possibly on jet skis, to make sure the boy is not there.

"We've expanded the actual search area beyond a reasonable walking distance," Blodgett said. "We have nothing to date that indicates that he is not alive."

Anyone with information is asked to call Lynn police at 781-595-2000 or the State Police unit in Blodgett's office at 978-745-8908.

http://wbztv.com/local/Giovanni.gonzalez.billboard.2.815145.html

Billboard For Missing Boy Goes Up In Lynn

LYNN (WBZ) ― A billboard featuring a missing poster for a 5-year-old boy was unveiled in Lynn.

Clear Channel donated the space to help police in the search for Giovanni Gonzalez, who has been missing since Aug. 16 when his mother went to pick him up from a weekend visit with his father, Ernesto Gonzalez.

The billboard sits atop a building in Lynn's Wyoma Square. It was the brainchild of 16-year-old Rich Yearwood, a Lynn teen who wanted to do something to help. So, he approached Clear Channel about using the billboard space.

"I went and saw it and it was huge!" Yearwood told WBZ. "I felt great that I could try to help out Giovanni's mother."

The search for Giovanni has spanned throughout Lynn, including parks, cemeteries and lakes, and down to Puerto Rico where the boy's father is from.

Gonzalez has refused to cooperate with police and will not say what happened to Giovanni. He is being held on $500,000 cash bail on charges of child endangerment.

Police are now investigating whether or not Gonzalez may have had the help of an accomplice.

Gonzalez did not have a car, so police are also hoping buses and public transportation will offer clues into the little boy's disappearance.

Police urge anyone with information about Giovanni's whereabouts to contact Lynn police at 781-595-2000.

http://www.thedailyitemoflynn.com/articles/2008/09/12/news/news01.txt

Posted Image

Giovanni sign posted in Lynn

By Thor Jourgensen / The Daily Item

LYNN - Police hope the giant photograph of Giovanni Gonzalez on a Wyoma Square billboard will prompt someone driving by it to remember any, even the smallest detail, that might help find the 5-year-old Lynn boy missing since Aug. 17.

Clear Channel Outdoor-Boston installed the sign Thursday to help police sustain interest in the search.

Clear Channel spokeswoman Rochelle Cowan said it is fairly rare for police to ask for the company's help in an investigation. The company slapped the face of a man wanted in two rapes across a Route 9 billboard in 2003 to help police gather tips on his whereabouts.

Giovanni's mother, Daisy Colon, dropped him off at his father's Lynn apartment on Aug. 15 and neighbors saw father and son the following day. Ernesto Gonzalez told police on Aug. 17 he had not seen the boy for a week.

He pleaded innocent on Aug. 18 to a child endangerment charge and is due back in court next Wednesday.

District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett this week said Gonzalez has declined several requests by police through his attorney to talk to them about his son's whereabouts. Attorney Halim Moris declined to comment Thursday on Gonzalez' upcoming court appearance.

With the Gonzalez search in its fourth week, police refocused the investigation on a new round of interviews with people they want to speak with in connection to the disappearance. They want to know if anyone may have provided transportation on Aug. 17 to Gonzalez, who typically traveled by bicycle or bus.

Police this week also redefined areas they want to search. The State Police search team, including trained dogs, is conducting the search with Lynn police.

"This is different for them," Blodgett said. "They typically do rural searches. This one involves an urban setting. We may also get an infrared helicopter flyover again."

The search to date has included two local cemeteries, Flax Pond and downtown yards, apartment buildings and an abandoned building on Johnson Street.

Police are also reviewing videotape from bus and subway stations and asked Dumpster and trash hauling companies to check their refuse containers and transfer stations.

"We're not sparing any expense," Blodgett said.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2008/09/authorities_app.html

Authorities appeal again for help in finding missing Lynn boy

By John R. Ellement, Globe Staff

Law enforcement officials appealed again today for the public’s help in finding a 5-year-old Lynn boy who has been missing since mid-August.

Investigators are disappointed and frustrated, but they're also determined to find 5-year-old Giovanni Gonzalez, said John Dawley, first assistant district attorney in Essex County. Gonzalez was last seen Aug. 16.

Dawley spoke to reporters outside Lynn District Court after a pretrial hearing in the case against Ernesto Gonzalez Jr., 36, the boy’s father. The father faces a charge of child endangerment and is being held in lieu of $500,000 cash bail.

Dawley said investigators have essentially eliminated the possibility the child was taken to Puerto Rico, where his father has family.

The prosecution and defense have filed a series of motions. Another hearing was slated for Nov. 18.

Giovanni's mother, Daisy Colon, has told police she had dropped her son at the father's home. The father denied ever having the boy and refused to cooperate, though witnesses told police they saw the father and son together the weekend the boy went missing.

Investigators are asking people with any information to call the Lynn Police at 781-595-2000. Dawley said even the slightest clue could help.

http://www3.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BO88407/

Mother hopeful missing 5-year-old son still alive

LYNN, Mass. -- The mother of a missing 5-year-old is holding out hope that her son is still alive.

Giovanni Gonzalez has been missing for more than a month, and the boy's father, Ernesto Gonzalez, refused to show his face in court Wednesday.

Ernesto GonZales' constituional rights allowed him to steer clear of the courtroom. Gonzalez is being held on child endangerment charges.

"I was hoping he would come upstairs and say something," said Daisy Colon, Giovanni's mother. "I mean it's been 30 days."

The 5-year-old was last seen visiting with his father at his Lynn apartment.

An exhaustive search of the neighborhood has turned up nothing leaving investigators frustrated and developing a plan B

"We're now going back and reviewing what we haven't done and perhaps review what we've already done to do in a better way," said John Dawley, First Assistant DA Essex County.

Investigators are even following up on tips they say lack credibility, but they say they haven't given up hope that the little boy is still alive.

"We're obviously hopeful he's still alive," Dawley said. "We're hopeful we'll find the one tip or lead that will get us closer to finding him today, but again, we have to be realistic on our assessment."

The assessment includes investigating whether the child was left in the trash that the City of Lynn burns on a regular basis.

Investigators working round the clock on this case say they are now convinced Giovanni is not in Puerto Rico where his father's family still lives.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2008/09/21/life_without_giovanni/

Life without Giovanni

By Yvonne Abraham

Globe Columnist / September 21, 2008

Even when it comes, sleep brings no relief to Daisy Colon.

"Last night I dreamed somebody tied me to the bed, and I couldn't get free," she says. "The time was flying. The sun was going up and down, up and down, up and down. I was trying to call my mom, but all I could make was this noise."

She is helpless during her waking hours, too.

Five weeks ago today, Colon went to pick up her son Giovanni Gonzalez after a weekend at his father Ernesto's place in Lynn. They weren't there. She waited for them for hours, then called police. They found Ernesto, but there was no sign of Giovanni. The father denied having seen his son at all that weekend.

Desperate, incensed, Daisy confronted Ernesto at the police station. She demanded to know where her son was. Offered not to press charges. Begged him.

"You have him," he kept saying. "You have him."

And to this day, even after being charged with child endangerment and jailed on $500,000 bail, Ernesto has nothing more to say about the 5-year-old with the wide smile and the Spiderman obsession.

So Daisy Colon drags herself through the days, separated from her beloved child, frustrated, empty.

She forces herself to eat once a day. She chain-smokes Newports on her East Boston stoop. She hugs her daughter Angie, not yet 2, affecting cheeriness for her sake. She stays out of her son's room, where all of his toys are in a box in a corner because she can't bear to look at them.

She plays the same gospel song over and over in her car on the way to see the Essex County DA: "My soul magnifies the Lord. You're my strength. You're my shield." She closes her eyes at stoplights to take in the words. God has a reason for putting her through this, she says.

Every day, every couple of hours, she calls the DA and the Lynn police to ask if there's anything new.

There is nothing new.

Because Ernesto Gonzalez, sitting in his cell, says nothing.

"Do you think he might read this in prison?" Daisy asks. "If he's reading this, I want to say something that will catch his attention."

After 35 days, what could catch his attention?

She pauses, searching.

Finally, she settles on this: "You wanted to hurt me, and you did. It's killing me inside. But it's Giovanni's future, and he needs to show up soon. If you know where he is or if somebody has him, just put him somewhere public - a hospital, a post office, a police station, a mall - anywhere that he can say his name and where he lives."

Her heart tells her Giovanni is alive. Even when police found a blood-stained mop at Ernesto's place, Daisy refused to believe her son had been hurt. Investigators found that the blood was not Giovanni's.

"My mind has a lot of those thoughts, but my heart is straight on one thing," she says. "He's OK."

Still, he has missed out on the start of kindergarten at the Samuel Adams School. He must miss his precious Superman suit with the padded chest muscles. He must be asking questions.

As police follow a host of so-far fruitless leads, Ernesto seems ready to stay right where he is - saying nothing, waiting everybody out. He hasn't sought a bail reduction. He seems utterly disconnected, not even bothering to use all of his telephone privileges.

They can't hold him forever. He has a court date in November to answer the charges. Even if convicted, he faces a maximum of 2 1/2 years in a house of correction.

Maybe he's figuring 2 1/2 years isn't that long to endure, if it means getting away with whatever it is he may have done.

But every minute of Giovanni's life is precious. And for Daisy, every minute without him is torture.

The minutes pile up by the thousand, and the sun goes up and down, up and down.

http://www.itemlive.com/articles/2008/09/27/news/

Ernesto Gonzalez denied lower bail

By Karen A. Kapsourakis / For The Item

SALEM - Ernesto L. Gonzalez, the Lynn father charged with child endangerment in the disappearance of his 5-year-old son, remains in custody after a Superior Court judge Friday denied his request for a lower bail.

Gonzalez, 36, of 2 Brightwood Terrace, #6, Lynn, showed little emotion as he appeared in a mustard colored t-shirt, cream colored jeans and sneakers for his bail review just before 12:30 p.m.

Posted Image

Giovanni Gonzalez

DOB:   May 1, 2003

Missing:  Aug 15, 2008

Height:  4'1" (124 cm)

Eyes:  Brown

Race:  Hispanic

Age at time of disappearance: 5

Sex:  Male

Weight:  40 lbs (18 kg)

Hair:  Black

Missing From:

Lynn,Massachusetts

United States

Giovanni was last seen on August 15, 2008 at approximately 4:00 p.m. He may still be in the local area or may have traveled to Puerto Rico. Giovanni has a small scar above his eyebrow. He was last seen wearing blue jeans, a red t-shirt, and black Spiderman sandals.

Contact Information:

Lynn Police Department (Massachusetts)

1-781-595-2000

Print a poster:

http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PubCaseSearchServlet?act=viewPoster&caseNum=1103452&orgPrefix=NCMC&searchLang=en_US

http://www.salemnews.com/punews/local_story_270234724.html

No bail reduction for father of missing boy

Published: September 26, 2008 11:47 pm   

By Julie Manganis

Staff writer

SALEM — A Salem Superior Court judge yesterday refused to reduce the bail of a Lynn father being held on child endangerment charges while investigators continue searching for his 5-year-old son, even though the judge suggested that prosecutors may have trouble pursuing the case.

Prosecutors say Ernesto Gonzalez, 36, is the last person to have seen Giovanni Gonzalez before the child disappeared Aug. 16.

An extensive search and national publicity have failed to turn up the boy, whose mother reported him missing after trying to pick him up from a weekend visit with his father. Gonzalez claimed that he had not had the boy at all that weekend, but prosecutors say a number of people, including staff at a therapist's office, saw the boy on the Saturday before he disappeared.

"It's the commonwealth's position that this child is in danger," prosecutor Jean Curran argued.

Gonzalez's attorney, public defender Lawrence McGuire, had urged Judge Howard Whitehead to reduce his client's $500,000 bail to $14,000, the amount of money Gonzalez has available in a bank account. Curran said Gonzalez had also recently wired the same amount of money to relatives in Puerto Rico.

It's unclear how Gonzalez was deemed to be qualified for a public defender given the amount of money he claims to have.

McGuire argued that there is no legal basis for a charge of child endangerment under the current wording of the law and said prosecutors have no proof that Gonzalez did anything to endanger the boy.

During the hearing, Whitehead raised the possibility that, if prosecutors proceed to trial on the child endangerment charge, only to have the boy found murdered later on, they would be unable to charge Gonzalez because of the Constitutional protection against "double jeopardy," trying someone twice for the same crime.

http://www.bloggernews.net/118036

Caylee Anthony A Victim of A Disturbing New Trend?

Posted on October 5th, 2008 by Jan Barrett in Florida News

Caylee Anthony has been missing since mid June and now everyone except for the Anthony’s are saying the little girl is dead. Her mother, Casey Anthony has been named as a suspect now in Caylee’s disappearance. Casey refuses to talk to authorities and won’t tell anyone the truth about what happened to her daughter which is causing a public outcry from many angry citizens.

Equusearch will be returning to start their search once again. Deputy Director of Equusearch Mandy Albritton said, “This case has had such national exposure that I truly believe that if this baby was out there alive, someone would have seen her and brought her home by now. It’s been way too long for a little 3-year old to be missing.â€Â

Another child that I reported about that was missing, five year old Giovanni Gonzalez, has been missing since August 15 when his mother dropped him off for a weekend visit with his father. At the end of the weekend when his mother, Daisy Colon went to pick up her son, she couldn’t get any answer at the door. When she finally contacted the police and they entered the apartment, the child’s father, Ernesto Gonzalez denied even having the child that weekend.

He was arrested and charged with child endangerment and was held on a $500,000 bail. His attorney, Lawrence McGuire, tried getting the bail lowered to $14,000 which is the amount Gonzalez has saved in the bank. The request was denied by Judge Howard Whitehead.

Now I hear this morning that yet another child has come up missing that suddenly disappeared out of the blue Thursday when her mother’s boyfriend took her with him and he stopped at a gas station in Detroit. Jamrul Hussain, told his girlfriend, Nilufa Begum that her two year old daughter, Tangena was in the car with him Thursday night when he stopped at the gas station for a pack of gum. He told the investigators that he left the little girl in the locked car but when he returned she was gone.

Hussain didn’t notify police right away though. He went and picked up Begun from work and told her what happened. Then they returned to the station to search for her but couldn’t find her. Then they called the police. Apparently the gas station does have a video of Hussain at the gas station but it doesn’t show his car there or the little girl.

Hussain was arrested for sexual assault against a minor in an apparent unrelated case. After seeing him on Fox 2 News the victim notified police. He is being interviewed by the police but it is not known if it is about the sexual assault case or about the missing two year old. He was held for 48 hours after Tangena disappeared while police tried to gather any clues they could about her disappearance.

I have a real problem with all these cases with the missing children. Who is protecting these little ones against the bad guys? When the guilty party is arrested and held, I see all the taxpayers money spent to give the arrested ones their “rights†but what about the rights of little Caylee, or Giovanni or Tangena. What about all the other children out there that are missing and never found that just disappear? I would love to name each and every one of them but there are too many so I chose these three. My heart and prayers do go out to each one of them though.

My question is how anyone can harm an innocent child. They can’t possibly defend themselves when attacked. They never asked to be brought into this world. They should not be made to suffer from the hands of some sicko that gets their thrills out of killing children.

To take the life of a child simply because the child was not fitting in with your lifestyle is no excuse. There are way too many childless families in the world today that would be more than happy to take an unwanted child in and raise them as their own and give them a good home. If only these sick people would realize that.

My final words here again are my prayers are with these children. May God Bless each and every one of them.

http://www.itemlive.com/articles/2008/11/02/news/news02.txt

Giovanni still focus of police, lawyers

LYNN - His face is the picture of boyish glee beaming down on Wyoma Square, a reminder that the search for five year-old Giovanni Gonzalez is entering its fourth month.

The East Boston kindergartener has not been seen since his father's neighbors saw him playing outside 2 Brightwood Terrace on Aug. 16. His mother went to pick him up at Ernesto Gonzalez' apartment a day later and summoned police after she could not locate her son.

Ernesto Gonzalez told police he never saw the boy that weekend and, according to the District Attorney's office, he has not discussed the boy's whereabouts or fate since Aug. 17.

"It's a gut-wrenching case," said Michael MacDonald, a Lynn attorney all too familiar with missing children cases.

He represented Magdalena Rodriguez, the mother of Jesus De La Cruz, who vanished from Park Street on Sept. 28, 1996. MacDonald said Gonzalez' disappearance and his father's silence remain conversation topics in Lynn District Court.

"This is a little boy; he's the father. You hope he would do anything to help the boy. That's the moral issue. The legal issue is quite different," MacDonald said. He said Ernesto Gonzalez' refusal to speak to authorities from his cell in the Essex House of Correction reflects the wishes of "any good defense attorney" to protect his client.

Another local attorney, Eric Jarosz, said the caliber of the two attorneys on opposing sides of the Gonzalez case underscores its seriousness. Top public defender Lawrence Maguire represents Gonzalez and prosecutor John Dawley has appeared for District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett on hearings involving Gonzalez.

Gonzalez pleaded innocent to a child endangerment charge on Aug. 18 and is due back in court on Nov. 18. Maguire declined to comment on the case Thursday.

Police, the DA's office and the Center for Missing and Exploited Children remain determined to find the boy.

Days after his disappearance, the Center posted appeals for help finding him in Massachusetts and Puerto Rico. The boy's mother told police on Aug. 17 that Giovanni wanted to visit a half brother on the island.

"That's our focus still," said Center senior case manager Gary Gardiner earlier this month.

Police searches in Puerto Rico have not produced leads to date but police have not abandoned search plans there or locally.

"We ask anyone with any information to contact Lynn police and help us bring Giovanni home," DA's spokesman Steve O'Connell said.

Daisy Colon also remains committed to finding her son.

"I don't let negative thoughts come to mind. I just try to stay positive."

Mom of missing Lynn boy hopeful father will speak

By Associated Press

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/2008_11_18_Mom_of_missing_Lynn_boy_hopeful_father_will_speak/srvc=home&position=recent

LYNN - The mother of a missing 5-year-old boy is hoping for some answers when the boy’s father goes before a judge.

Ernesto Gonzalez is scheduled to be in Lynn District Court on Tuesday for a pretrial hearing on a child endangerment charge.

The 36-year-old Gonzalez has been held on $500,000 bail ever since his 5-year-old son, Giovanni, was reported missing three months ago.

Giovanni’s mother, Daisy Colon, says she dropped her son off at his father’s Lynn home in mid-August for a weekend visit, but when she returned to pick up the boy a couple days later, Gonzalez claimed he did not know where they boy was.

Essex District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett said investigators continue to search for Giovanni.

Father of missing Lynn boy remains mum

Nov 18, 2008

http://www.necn.com/Boston/New-England/2008/11/18/Father-of-missing-Lynn-boy/1227028400.html

(NECN: Brad Puffer, Lynn, Mass.) - The father of a missing five-year-old boy faced a judge in Massachusetts today. Ernesto Gonzalez was in court for a pretrial hearing on a child endangerment charge related to his son, Giovanni.

Giovanni was last seen three months ago when his mother dropped him off at his father's house in Lynn. 36-year-old Gonzalez has been held on $500,000 bail ever since Giovanni was reported missing.

Giovanni's mother, Daisy Colon, says she dropped her son off at his father's home in mid-August for a weekend visit, but when she returned to pick up the boy a couple days later, Gonzalez claimed he did not know where they boy was.

Ernesto Gonzalez did not say anything about his son in court today. A trial date is set for January on the child endangerment charges.

Investigators continue to search for the boy.

http://www.wten.com/Global/story.asp?S=9374400

Trial set for father of missing Lynn boy

Associated Press - November 18, 2008 7:24 PM ET

LYNN, Mass. (AP) - A Jan. 13 trial date has been set for a Lynn man prosecutors claim is responsible for his 5-year-old son's disappearance.

Thirty-6-year-old Ernesto Gonzalez has been held on $500,000 bail on a child endangerment charge since his son, Giovanni, was reported missing three months ago. The father made his first appearance in Lynn District Court at a brief hearing Tuesday. His lawyer is asking that the charge be dismissed for lack of evidence.

Giovanni's mother, Daisy Colon, says she dropped her son off at his father's Lynn home in mid-August for a weekend visit, but when she returned to pick him up, Gonzalez claimed he didn't know where the boy was.

Steve O'Connell, a spokesman for Essex District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett, said investigators are again asking for the public's help to find the boy.

Authorities seek clues to missing child

Published: Nov. 19, 2008 at 11:57 AM

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/11/19/Authorities_seek_clues_to_missing_child/UPI-91541227113848/

LYNN, Mass., Nov. 19 (UPI) -- Authorities in Massachusetts say they are desperately seeking any clues as to the location of 5-year-old Giovanni Gonzalez, who disappeared months ago.

Just as Gonzalez's father Ernesto appeared in court on a child endangerment charge this week, authorities offered a plea to the public for any information that could lead to the missing child, The Boston Globe said Wednesday.

"Tell us where, tell us when," said Stephen O'Connell, Essex District Attorney Jonathan

W. Blodgett's spokesman. "That might be the key. We will spare no expense, we will spare no manpower in order to bring this boy home."

Giovanni Gonzalez disappeared Aug. 16 while spending a weekend with his father, who was allowed to spend time with his son by Gonzalez's mother, Daisy Colon.

Since the boy's disappearance, authorities have searched the surrounding area and have contacted some of Ernesto Gonzalez's family in Puerto Rico.

Meanwhile, motions in the endangerment case of the elder Gonzalez will take place Dec. 11 and his trial is set to begin Jan. 13, the Globe said.

http://www.itemlive.com/articles/2008/11/11/updates/doc491b48cbdd331539044721.txt

Missing boy's father due back in court

WEEKEND EDITION: November 22, 2008

LYNN - The mother of a local boy missing for three months will be in court next Tuesday, hoping Giovanni Gonzalez’ father finally reveals the 5-year-old’s whereabouts.

The support of family and friends and promises by police to solve Giovanni’s disappearance have kept Daisy Colon from losing hope she will see her son again.

“I need him,” she said Wednesday.

District Attorney’s spokesman Steve O’Connell echoed her pleas for continued public assistance in helping police find the boy.

“We’re renewing our plea to the public to come forward with any detail no matter how insignificant it might be,” O’Connell said.

The East Boston kindergartener has not been seen since his father’s neighbors saw him playing outside 2 Brightwood Terrace on Aug. 16. Colon went to pick him up at Ernesto Gonzalez’ apartment a day later and summoned police after she could not locate her son.

Ernesto Gonzalez told police he never saw the boy that weekend and, according to the District Attorney’s office, he has not provided more information on the boy’s whereabouts or fate since Aug. 17.

Gonzalez pleaded innocent to a child endangerment charge on Aug. 18 and is due back in court on Nov. 18.

Colon hoped prior to her son’s disappearance that prolonged efforts to stabilize the boy’s relationship with Gonzalez would coincide with Giovanni starting kindergarten in East Boston.

Gonzalez pushed over the summer for visitation but Colon objected, pointing out that he had failed to consistently attend counseling sessions aimed at assuring both parents underscored the same values and disciplinary tone with Giovanni.

“I said, ‘You keep going in and out of his life. I don’t want – boom – you’re out of his life again,’” Colon said.

They met on July 31 at the Boston Street Burger King in Lynn to discuss visitation and Colon’s concerns. The meeting led to two weekend visits by Giovanni to his father’s home. The stays were incident free and Colon dropped her son off in Lynn on Aug. 15 anticipating a similar weekend.

Questioned by police two days later, Gonzalez said he did not have Giovanni with him and had not seen him since the previous week. Police arrested him after confirming a call logged on Colon’s cell phone indicating she had contacted Gonzalez on Aug. 15.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/11/19/missing_boys_dad_at_pretrial_hearing/

Missing boy's dad at pretrial hearing

First appearance since arraignment

November 19, 2008

LYNN - When he walked into the courtroom handcuffed yesterday, Ernesto Gonzalez seemed to stiffen his neck, struggling to keep his eyes locked on the judge to his left, avoiding the woman seated in the front row to his right.

Daisy Colon sat there. Colon was the mother who had regained enough trust in Gonzalez that she agreed to let their son, 5-year-old Giovanni Gonzalez, spend an August weekend with his father, someone who court records show had only had intermittent contact with his son.

Giovanni Gonzalez has not been seen since Aug. 16 at a therapist's office in Lynn.

Yesterday, Ernesto Gonzalez was seen in public for the first time since his Aug. 18 arraignment on a child endangerment charge. He deliberately avoided looking at Colon, so upset by what she saw that she declined to talk with reporters after the two-minute hearing ended.

But Stephen O'Connell, a spokesman for Essex District Attorney Jonathan W. Blodgett, told reporters that the search for the child - which has already covered great swatches of Lynn, parts of Lawrence, some of the state's coastline, and Gonzalez's relatives in Puerto Rico - continues.

However, the tips that arrived after news of Giovanni's disappearance got widespread media coverage in mid-August have dried up, and authorities need the public's help to send the search in a new direction.

In the past, authorities asked for anyone who saw father and son together the weekend of Aug. 15-18, when Giovanni was staying with his father in his Brightwood Terrace apartment in Lynn, to contact them. Now, O'Connell said anyone who saw Ernesto Gonzalez by himself could help restart the search.

"Tell us where, tell us when," O'Connell said at the courthouse. "That might be the key. We will spare no expense, we will spare no manpower in order to bring this boy home."

Gonzalez's attorney, Lawrence McGuire, filed paperwork seeking the dismissal of all charges and trying to suppress any evidence authorities have collected against the onetime meat plant worker.

McGuire contended in court papers that authorities had no evidence that Ernesto Gonzalez caused his child harm. The lawyer also wrote that items seized by police armed with search warrants from his client's apartment in August were obtained without adequate legal support.

The motions are set to be heard Dec. 11, and a trial date was set for Jan. 13.

http://www.necn.com/Boston/New-England/2008/11/26/In-jailhouse-confession/1227755380.html

In jailhouse confession, father admits to killing son

(NECN) - There is reportedly a jailhouse confession from the father of five-year-old Giovanni Gonzalez, from Lynn, Massachusetts.

In an interview with the Boston Globe. Ernesto Gonzalez confessed to stabbing his son to death and dismembering the body in the bathtub of his Lynn apartment.

According to the Globe, Gonzalez then placed his son's body parts into grocery bags and discarded them in trash bins around the city of Lynn. Young Giovanni disappeared in August.

Mother said she dropped the boy off for a visit with his father, but when she went to pick him up, the boy wasn't there.

The Essex County District Attorney tells NECN that the investigation is ongoing, and that the alleged statement of the defendant will be reviewed whether it is truthful or not.

A call to Ernesto's attorney has not been returned.

http://www.itemlive.com/articles/2008/11/25/breaking_news/doc492e113527c38442851423.txt

Report: Ernesto Gonzalez confesses to killing son

Essex County law officials question validity of confession

By Henry J. Collins / The Daily Item

LYNN – Despite a published report stating Ernesto Gonzalez confessed to killing his 5-year-old son, Essex County law enforcement officials are skeptical the confession is true.

According to the report, Ernesto Gonzalez, 36, confessed to a reporter that he had stabbed his son, Giovanni, to death.

He told the reporter he dismembered his son’s body in the bathtub of his Brightwood Terrace apartment, then placed his body parts into plastic bags and disposed of them in three dumpsters around the city.

“We will review the alleged statement of the defendant to determine whether it is truthful or not,†Essex District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett said Wednesday night. “We will go on from there continuing the investigation that began Aug. 18.â€Â

One of the reasons law enforcement officials may doubt the confession is the fact that blood found in the apartment after Giovanni’s disappearance was not that of the 5-year-old.

At the time that blood samples from a mop and the cover of a bottle of pine cleaner were evaluated, Blodgett told The Item he could not speak about specific blood tests because of an ongoing investigation, but he did say, “We still have optimistic hopes Giovanni is alive.â€Â

Giovanni Gonzalez is described as a Hispanic male, weighing 40 pounds, about 4-foot-2 with a slight birthmark on his inner left ankle. He was last seen wearing blue jeans, a red shirt and Spiderman sandals. He was also carrying a black Transformers backpack.

Giovanni Gonzalez was reported missing by his mother, Daisy Colon, 33, of East Boston. She called police after Ernesto Gonzalez said the boy wasn't with him when she went to retrieve him Sunday, Aug. 17 from a scheduled visitation.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2008/11/27/police_had_hit_a_wall_in_search_for_boy/

Police had hit a wall in search for boy

Investigators could only wait for break

By Michael Levenson

Globe Staff / November 27, 2008

Police found no weapon, no sign of a struggle. There was little physical evidence to make a case and no witnesses. There was just a father in a jail cell who said that he did not see his son, 5-year-old Giovanni Gonzalez, on the weekend he disappeared three months ago.

In cases like this, investigators say, authorities can do little but wait for a break.

"In order to have a murder charge, you have to prove someone has been murdered, so you need a body," said Thomas J. Foley, former colonel of the State Police.

But a body was missing in this case, and so was another element that former prosecutors and law enforcement officials said is crucial to solving a case: public pressure.

Investigators began searching for Giovanni Aug. 17, the day his mother, Daisy Colon, went to pick him up after a weekend at his father's home in Lynn. When there was no sign of Giovanni, Colon called the police. Detectives found Ernesto Gonzalez, who denied having seen his son that weekend, though the father was seen with his son at a therapist's office Aug. 16.

Investigators began an intensive search, looking for Giovanni in wooded areas, cemeteries, and empty buildings in Lynn. They searched the father's apartment and found a blood-stained mop and blood on the cap of a cleaning product, but later determined that the blood was not Giovanni's. Authorities repeatedly urged anyone with information to come forward, while Ernesto Gonzalez, charged with child endangerment, was held behind bars on $500,000 cash bail.

There were no new major leads, and the case quickly faded from public view.

"Without public attention being brought to an unsolved case, the likelihood of it ever being solved diminishes," said Timothy M. Burke, a former homicide prosecutor with the Suffolk district attorney's office. "Almost invariably, someone out there knows more than they have been willing to say, and without the public pressure, it just drifts into oblivion."

Yesterday, more than three months after the boy was reported missing, Ernesto Gonzalez told a Globe reporter that he stabbed his son to death in his kitchen, dismembered the body in the bath tub, and disposed of the remains in dumpsters.

Police are trying to determine whether he is telling the truth. That such a break came in a confession to a reporter does not surprise law enforcement officials, who say police are not allowed to question suspects who have invoked their right to remain silent.

"He has Fifth Amendment privilege," said Robert M. Griffin, a former chief of superior court prosecution for the Suffolk district attorney's office. "I'm assuming the attorney has told him not to speak to the police. And what are the police going to do? At that point, they've hit a stone wall."

In most cases at that point, police would turn to the public. But grabbling the public's attention in cases in which a parent is suspected of taking a child is extremely difficult, said Richard Rosenfeld, a criminologist at the University of Missouri in St. Louis.

"The ones that tend to attract publicity are ones in which it's determined that the child is kidnapped by a stranger," he said.

The fact that Giovanni is Hispanic and from one of the state's poorer cities could also be a factor, Rosenfeld said. "I think cases in which young, white, middle-class children are kidnapped are likely to attract more publicity," he said.

And so Gonzalez sat in jail, awaiting trial on the child-endangerment charges, and with each passing day the chances of charging him with facing anything more serious became increasingly slim.

Griffin said police in a case like this can end up hoping for the seemingly unlikely development, that a suspect begins to feel a need to talk.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2008/11/27/lynn_man_confesses_to_killing_son_5/

Lynn man confesses to killing son, 5

Tells reporter of dismembering child who has been focus of massive search

MIDDLETON - Ernesto L. Gonzalez Jr. has spent the last three months in a jail cell refusing to respond to the question that authorities believe only he can answer: What happened to his 5-year-old son, Giovanni, who vanished during a weekend visit with the father in August.

Yesterday, he broke his silence in chilling fashion. During a jailhouse interview with a Globe reporter, Gonzalez confessed to stabbing his son to death and dismembering the small body in the bathtub of his Lynn apartment. He said he then placed his son's body parts in six plastic grocery bags and discarded them in three different trash bins around Lynn. He pedaled from one bin to the next on his bicycle.

"I know where he is," Gonzalez said in Spanish, his voice calm and his gaze flat, in the Essex County Jail. "My son isn't alive. He's dead."

Asked why he did it, Gonzalez said that it just "happened."

"I didn't want to kill my son," said the 36-year-old former meat packer. "I don't know what happened in that moment." He said he loved his son and is "regretful."

The extraordinary confession was met with skepticism by authorities, who have not found evidence in the apartment that would corroborate Gonzalez's account. The interview followed months of reticence on the part of Gonzalez, who refused to cooperate with investigators, barely spoke during brief court hearings on a charge of child endangerment, and declined the tearful overtures from Giovanni's mother to reveal the whereabouts of her only son.

The disappearance of the ebullient and occasionally rambunctious boy triggered a massive search by air, water, and land, from Lynn and Lawrence to Florida and Puerto Rico.

Authorities and his mother, Daisy Colón, who lived with her son in East Boston, appealed for help on television, on a donated billboard, and on the Internet. Essex County law enforcement officials had described the case as one of the most frustrating of their careers.

Colón could not be reached for comment last night.

The Globe reporter arrived at the jailhouse unannounced yesterday and asked guards to see whether Gonzalez would be willing to speak. About 20 minutes later, the reporter was led through security checkpoints to a time-worn visitation room. Gonzalez, wearing a bright orange prison-issue jumpsuit, appeared on the other side of a Plexiglas partition.

The reporter explained who she was and twice displayed her newspaper identification. The interview was then conducted in English and Spanish through a telephone hookup. He spoke for half an hour, until authorities ended the interview because the allotted time was up. The Globe was not allowed to make an audio recording of the interview, as part of jail policy.

The Globe notified the Essex district attorney's office of Gonzalez's remarks shortly after the interview. His confession, while potentially serving as a break in the case, has left authorities baffled and raised questions about whether Gonzalez is telling the truth.

"We tested that apartment completely," a senior law enforcement official said last night. "To do what he told [the reporter] he did is not a plausible story. I don't know what his motive is" in confessing to the crime.

The case is under active investigation. Authorities are awaiting test results on drains in the apartment and are also conducting new tests on a bottle cap to a household cleaning agent, according to the law enforcement official.

Essex County authorities said they do not discount the possibility that Giovanni is dead, but said they will compare what Gonzalez told the Globe to the physical evidence they have collected from his apartment.

Authorities held out new hope that since Gonzalez talked to a reporter, he would now cooperate with them. Gonzalez has been charged with child endangerment and has been held on $500,000 cash bail.

"We hope that eventually he would want to talk to the police and tell us what happened," said Lieutenant Detective Elaine Gill of the State Police, who said it is up to his lawyer and Gonzalez to decide. "We'll keep pursuing the case."

Gonzalez's lawyer, Lawrence Maguire, was sharply critical of the Globe for interviewing Gonzalez while the case is pending. He recently filed court documents seeking the dismissal of all charges, contending there was no evidence that Gonzalez harmed his child.

"You certainly haven't done your job as a journalist," Maguire said, adding, "I have nothing to say."

Giovanni, who loved to play ball, had an affinity for Spiderman, and often dressed in a Superman costume with padded muscles. He was reported missing by his mother on Aug. 17, after she went to the father's house to retrieve the child from a weekend visit and he was not there.

At the time, Gonzalez told police that Giovanni had not visited him that weekend and has refused to speak with authorities since that time.

But yesterday, Gonzalez said Giovanni was at his apartment that weekend and had been "behaving badly." He said the boy ripped a bed sheet, fiddled with the television, spit, threw bottles, pushed against the refrigerator, and jabbed Gonzalez in the back with a pen.

"I scolded him, but I tried to ignore him," Gonzalez said.

Of the stabbing, he said, "It happened. I didn't want to do it."

Around 10:30 a.m. Sunday morning, he said, he was in the kitchen, and Giovanni was standing and yelling in front of the refrigerator.

The next thing he knew, Gonzalez said, he was stabbing the boy with a red-handled kitchen knife.

"It happened fast," he said. "I was upset. It happened in a moment."

Gonzalez said he put the boy's body in the bathtub, stuffed the remains into the bags, and loaded them into a black-and-gold duffel bag emblazoned with the word "rollerblades."

He got on his bicycle and dumped the bags in trash bins at three different locations: At a stone church near Lynn Common, at a Big Lots discount store, and behind a store on Union Street, near an Eastern Bank. All the locations were in Lynn, he said.

He said he washed the knife and returned it to a kitchen drawer.

Gonzalez said he doubted Giovanni's remains could be found. Gill, the State Police investigator, said yesterday that the bins are unloaded into an incinerator.

Asked why he was breaking his silence, Gonzalez said he believed he would never get out of prison.

"I'm going to be here a long time," he said. "My son isn't here. They're not going to let me go. Why not talk?"

He related his story calmly until the end of the interview, when his eyes watered and his voice broke.

"I don't know how to say I'm sorry," he said. "It's my son."

Authorities and family members had hoped that the boy would be found alive and waged a massive search that included Puerto Rico, where Giovanni's parents were raised.

But bus station and airport surveillance videos showed no trace of the boy, and Gonzalez had few resources with which to hide. He had no car and had sent the bulk of his money, about $14,000, to a former girlfriend in Puerto Rico a few months earlier to help support another child, authorities said.

In an interview yesterday before the confession, Colón said she and Gonzalez had clashed over how to discipline the boy.

But in the weeks before the boy disappeared, Gonzalez had sought visitation rights, and Colón said she was touched by Giovanni's eagerness to see his father, who had named the boy. In a reunion picture taken a few weeks earlier, Giovanni happily sat in his father's lap.

The weekend Giovanni disappeared, Gonzalez's neighbors said they saw Giovanni outside the apartment building on Saturday afternoon, kicking around a ball with his father, who they said seemed angry and spoke sharply to the boy in Spanish. The boy was seen after that at a therapist's office with his father later on Saturday, Aug. 16.

Gonzalez's next-door neighbor told police that she heard a child laughing around 8 p.m. Saturday in Gonzalez's apartment as she left for a night shift.

The next day, Colón, 33, went to pick up Giovanni at the father's apartment, but no one answered the door.

She called police, who found Gonzalez inside the apartment, but Giovanni was not there. Gonzalez said he never had the boy that weekend.

Colón has spent the last three months waiting for a call telling her that her son had been found. Giovanni's toy box - with his beloved Transformers and Spiderman figurines - remains packed in his bedroom. The room is sealed.

Colón canceled a planned trip to Puerto Rico with Giovanni, and he missed his first day of kindergarten at Samuel Adams School. She cannot bear to look at his pictures.

She has said repeatedly that she did not believe that Gonzalez would hurt their son, and begged Gonzalez publicly to tell her where the boy is.

"I don't think he is capable of that," she said yesterday, in an interview that occurred before Gonzalez spoke to the Globe. "Not to his own son."

http://www.thedailyitemoflynn.com/articles/2008/11/27/news/news01.txt

Cousin: ‘I don't think he's telling the truth’

By Thor Jourgensen/The Daily Item

LYNN - Wednesday night an online news report stated that Ernesto Gonzalez had admitted to killing his 5-year-old son, but a cousin is not buying the report or the confession.

According to the report, Ernesto Gonzalez confessed he had he stabbed his son to death August 17, cut up the 5-year-old’s body in his apartment bathtub and dumped the remains in three local dumpsters.

“I don’t think he’s telling the truth,†Tracy Contreras said Thursday morning. “He’s not all there. We don’t feel that in our heart that’s true.â€Â

Gonzalez is Contreras mother’s nephew and along with Daisy Colon, Giovanni Gonzalez’ mother, and other relatives, she has been waiting three months for Gonzalez to reveal the boy’s whereabouts and fate.

“We will review the alleged statement of the defendant to determine whether it is truthful or not,†Essex District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett said Wednesday night. “We will go on from there continuing the investigation that began Aug. 18.â€Â

Police and prosecutors could not confirm Ernesto Gonzalez’ reports and indicated his words did not match the results of evidence seized by police from Gonzalez’ 2 Brightwood Terrace apartment. Police took two knives, a pine cleaner bottle, a mop head and trash bags and checked the apartment for blood traces August 18, only to later rule out any presence of the boy’s blood.

According to the published report, Ernesto Gonzalez said he cut his son’s body into six pieces, stuffed the pieces into trash bags and threw the bags in dumpsters off Boston, Union and South Common streets.

“Who does this?†asked Contreras as her family struggled through a holiday overshadowed by news of the gruesome confession.

“It’s sick.â€Â

Giovanni Gonzalez was reported missing by his mother, Colon, 33, of East Boston. She called police after Ernesto Gonzalez said the boy wasn’t with him when she went to retrieve him Sunday, Aug. 17 from a scheduled visitation.

Attempts to reach Colon Thursday were unsuccessful.

News of the reported confession shocked Kim Whitford, Gonzalez’ downstairs neighbor who said the 36-year-old with a criminal record lived at 2 Brightwood Terrace for only a few months prior to his son’s disappearance.

In August Whitford described Gonzalez as a quiet man who did not even exchange hellos with neighbors.

“If he could kill his own son, what stopped him from killing someone else?†he asked Thursday.

Mary Laing, who lives across the hall from Gonzalez’ apartment, declined to comment Thursday on reports of his murder confession. She told police back in August she heard the sound of a television and a child laughing behind the closed door of apartment six on August 16.

Gonzalez’ reported confession echoes the account passed on to police by a Rogers Avenue construction worker.

David Kouroyen told The Item in August he was working on a Rogers Avenue building next to Gonzalez’ apartment building when he saw a man caring a heavy trash bag over one shoulder.

“It was very heavy and bulky. I actually thought, ‘There’s a body in there.’â€Â

He passed the information onto police and told The Item he was almost positive the man carrying the bag was Gonzalez.

Police searched trash dumpsters around the city as part of their search for Giovanni Gonzalez. Casella Waste Services spokesman Joe Fusco said Casella and other companies leasing dumpsters to Lynn businesses and apartment buildings were told police wanted to search the containers in their effort to find the boy.

“They requested we move two dumpsters to an investigative area and we did,†Fusco said.

Public Works Director Jay Fink also said police impounded several dumpsters and searched through them.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2008/11/28/fathers_confession_horrifies_neighbors/

Father's confession horrifies neighbors

Investigators mum as they seek proof

By Jeannie M. Nuss and Andrea Estes

Globe Staff / November 28, 2008

"If he really killed that little kid, he should go to jail for the rest of his life," said Gilberto Fuentes, 30, who lives on Brightwood Terrace, where Gonzalez allegedly killed the boy in his apartment. "He's not here no more, so I guess it's safe."

Gonzalez, 36, a former meat packer, told a Globe reporter on Wednesday that he stabbed and dismembered his son while the child was visiting him, then dumped the remains in three trash bins around the city, about 10 miles north of Boston.

The disappearance of the boy set off a massive search from Lynn as far away as Florida and Puerto Rico. Authorities had called the case one of the most frustrating and disturbing they had seen. They had been stymied in their efforts to solve the mystery because they found no weap on and little physical evidence, and Gonzalez refused to cooperate with investigators. Gonzalez has been sitting in the Essex County jail, held on $500,000 cash bail and awaiting trial on child endangerment charges.

In the jailhouse interview, Gonzalez said he lost his temper after his son was "behaving badly" and did not respond to a scolding. The next thing he knew, he said, he was stabbing the boy with a red-handled kitchen knife. He said he dismembered his son's body in the bathtub and dumped his remains in trash bins in Lynn. He said he washed the knife and returned it to a kitchen drawer.

"It happened. I was upset. It happened in a moment," he told reporter Maria Sacchetti.

Steve O'Connell, a spokesman for Essex District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett, would not comment further on the case yesterday, except to say: "We will review the alleged statement of the defendant and determine whether it is truthful or not. The investigation remains ongoing."

He would not say how investigators will seek to corroborate or disprove the story, at least part of which seemed accurate. Yesterday, dumpsters could be found in two of the three locations he cited in the interviews - at the Big Lots discount store and behind the Eastern Bank on Union Street. There was no dumpster by the stone St. Stephen's Episcopal Church near Lynn Common. But a man parked nearby yesterday said several dumpsters were there during the summer.

Yesterday, no one answered the door at the East Boston home of the boy's mother, Daisy Colón.

Across the street, a group of young men outside Danny's Market, a Spanish-American grocery store, said they knew Colón but hadn't seen her in two days. "We used to see the kid, playing like an ordinary kid. One day he was gone," said one of the men.

In Lynn, neither Fuentes nor several other neighbors knew Gonzalez or his son.

Chris Tchorzynski, 55, was stunned that the killing may have taken place directly across the small plaza from his own house. "Oh my God," he said. "I don't know what would make someone do that to their own child."

If the crime occurred in the apartment, he said, there must be some physical proof.

"I don't see how he did it," he said. "If that's true, there's some evidence up there somewhere, in some crack, some crevice."

Records show that in 2001, Gonzalez was arrested by Lynn police after fighting with his then girlfriend, threatening her with a knife, vandalizing her car with a knife, threatening a neighbor with a knife, and then threatening police officers with a knife. In 2003, he was convicted on multiple assault and battery charges and was sentenced to three months in the Essex County House of Correction.

Though the confession could give investigators the break they have been looking for, they appeared skeptical about Gonzalez's statements. According to authorities, the physical evidence recovered at Gonzalez's apartment is inconsistent with his description of the crime. They had found a blood-stained mop and blood on the cap of a cleaning product, but determined the blood was not Giovanni's. Some evidence is still being tested, authorities said.

"Nothing in the investigation substantiates it," said one law enforcement official yesterday.

In an interview with the Globe the day before Gonzalez confessed, Colón said she has been waiting since Sunday, Aug. 17, the afternoon she pounded on his father's door in Lynn, to pick up her only son from the weekend visit. No one answered, and no one could find Giovanni.

Since that day, life has been an agonizing blur for her. She said she rarely sleeps, and suffers migraines.

"I wouldn't even wish it on my worst enemy," she said. "It's like I'm not full. I'm empty. A big part of me has been missing."

http://www.thedailyitemoflynn.com/articles/2008/11/29/news/news01.txt

Gonzalez’ attorney: DA is ‘skeptical’

By Thor Jourgensen/The Daily Item

LYNN-Ernesto Gonzalez’ attorney found himself defending his client Friday even as he discounted the self-confessed killer’s words.

Lawrence McGuire said the father of missing 5-year-old Giovanni Gonzalez will “definitely not be available†for more jail house interviews like the one he gave Wednesday in which he claimed he killed his son, whom he said was “behaving badly†on Aug. 17.

McGuire also said evidence gathered in police searches of Gonzalez’ downtown apartment does not match Gonzalez’ account of how he stabbed the boy, cut up his body in the bathtub, and threw the bagged body parts in Dumpsters.

“Nothing in the results supports what he said. I would say the District Attorney is skeptical.â€Â

Gonzalez pleaded innocent to child endangerment on Aug. 18 in Lynn District Court and has been held on $500,000 bail in the Essex County Correctional Facility since then.

He has not changed his plea, new charges have not been filed against him and he is due back in court on Dec. 11. Gonzalez turned down The Item’s request for an interview Friday, telling facility spokesman Paul Fleming, “I’m not speaking to any more reporters right now.â€Â

In the meantime, those surrounding the case continue to wonder if Gonzalez lied or told the truth in his confession. Information gathered by investigators and comments made by people who know Gonzalez buttress some of his confessional statements while discounting others.

Dumpsters are located at two of the locations where he said he dumped his son’s body parts: The former Eastern Bank on Union Street and the Big Lots outlet on Boston Street.

Gonzalez identified “the stone church near Lynn Common†as the third site. Four buildings fit that description and Dumpsters are located next to St Mary’s Church and St. George Greek Orthodox Church.

But District Attorney’s spokesman Steve O’Connell said investigators checked Dumpsters at the locations named by Gonzalez and others across the city “several times in the course of the investigation.â€Â

“This remains ongoing,†O’Connell said.

Gonzalez also claimed his son’s behavior triggered the killing. Daisy Colon, the boy’s mother, on Nov. 12 said the need to maintain consistent parenting techniques with the boy prompted her and Gonzalez to seek counseling.

When Gonzalez pushed last summer to see his son on a regular basis, Colon said she stressed the importance of the counseling.

“I said I have to see  you keep going in and out of his life,†she said.

Items taken from Gonzalez’ Brightwood Terrace apartment, including a kitchen knife and trash bags, match ones he mentioned in his confession.

A state crime laboratory chemist initially detected blood traces on a mop head and a cleaning fluid container bottle cap taken from Gonzalez’ apartment on Aug. 18. But state crime lab tests determined the blood was not the boy’s.

State Police also took swab samples and used a chemical spray to detect non-visible blood during their Aug. 18 search.

“We can’t discuss the results of scientific testing,†O’Connell said Friday.

http://www3.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BO97534/

Lynn authorities made new search for missing boy

12/05/2008

LYNN, Mass. -- Two days after a Lynn man confessed to killing his 5-year-old son, authorities launched a new search for the boy in an undisclosed location.

Steve O'Connell, a spokesman for the Essex district attorney, tells The Daily Item of Lynn that the site of the Nov. 28 search was kept secret to protect the integrity of the investigation.

Ernesto Gonzalez Jr. told The Boston Globe that he killed his son, Giovanni, in dismembers his son in the tub of his Lynn apartment.

The boy has been missing since August when his mother dropped him off at his father's apartment for a visit.

Prosecutors and relatives have expressed skepticism over Gonzalez's claims.

He is being held on $500,000 on a child endangerment charge, which his lawyer has asked to be dismissed.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0