Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Linda

Assumed Deceased: Lauria Jaylene Bible/Ashley Freeman - OK - 12/30/1999

15 posts in this topic

Lauria Jaylene Bible

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Left and Center: Lauria, circa 1999;

Right: Age-progression to age 19 (circa 2002)

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: December 30, 1999 from Welch, Oklahoma

Classification: Endangered Missing

Date Of Birth: April 18, 1983

Age: 16 years old

Height and Weight: 5'5, 130 pounds

Distinguishing Characteristics: Native American female. Brown hair, hazel eyes. Lauria has a mole under her nose and a scar on the top of her head. Her ears are pierced. She is right-handed. Her nickname is Pooh.

Clothing/Jewelry Description: Possibly a blue shirt, jeans, white tennis shoes or black boots and silver heart-shaped earrings with imbedded diamonds.

Details of Disappearance

Lauria spent the evening of December 30, 1999 at her friend Ashley Freeman's trailer home near Welch, Oklahoma to celebrate the latter's birthday. Lorene Bible, Lauria's mother, said that Kathy Freeman, Ashley's mother, took the girls to the Pizza Hut in Vinita, Oklahoma during the evening. Lorene's statement contradicts authorities' belief that Kathy and the girls visited Big Bill's Barbeque in the 350 block of North Wilson Street in Vinita, Oklahoma. The group traveled in Kathy's blue Toyota and picked up feed for the Freemans' livestock, as well as water from Kathy's mother's house.

The Freemans' trailer did not have running water and was primarily heated by a wood-burning stove in the living room. The family was described as avid hunters and outdoor enthusiasts who enjoyed living in the remote location. The trailer was equipped with telephone service and electricity. There were numerous firearms stockpiled inside the home and Ashley assisted with hunting for food.

Ashley's boyfriend, Jeremy Hurst, told investigators that he met the women at a local Wal-Mart after their dinner. He gave Ashley a silver chain with a heart-shaped pendant imbedded with her birthstone for her birthday present. Hurst said that he returned to the Freemans' home with the women shortly afterwards. He said that nothing appeared to be amiss and he departed at approximately 9:30 p.m. Ashley's father, Danny Freeman, had relatives over during the evening who claimed that Hurst actually left at 10:30 p.m. Authorities said that no outgoing telephone calls were made from the family's home during the night. Kathy planned to take Ashley to her driver's test the following morning. Lauria had a dental appointment scheduled for the following morning and planned to leave the trailer shortly beforehand.

A passing motorist reported a fire in the vicinity of the Freemans' residence at approximately 6:00 a.m. the following morning. Authorities discovered Kathy's remains inside the debris during the afternoon. Investigators initially stated that they were positive no other bodies were inside the home and did not secure the location during the overnight hours. Danny was considered the prime suspect in his wife's murder; authorities believed that he may have abducted Ashley and Lauria and traveled elsewhere, but all of the Freemans' vehicles were parked near their home. Lauria's car was also nearby and the keys were inside the ignition. Lorene discovered Lauria's purse propped inside the trailer, but there was no other evidence of the girls at the scene.

Jay Bible, Lauria's father, discovered Danny's body in the bedroom of the mobile home during the following morning. The Bibles returned to the trailer in an attempt to gather more evidence as to their daughter's whereabouts. Both Danny and Kathy had died as the result of gunshot wounds. Danny's body was partially covered by debris inside the bedroom, explaining why his remains were overlooked. The medical examiner determined that Danny's right collarbone had been fractured prior to the entrance of the fatal wound. The coroner determined that Kathy died at approximately 5:00 a.m. Investigators believe that the fire was intentionally set in an attempt to destroy evidence of the crimes. An extensive search for the girls produced no evidence as to their whereabouts.

Lorene told reporters that Ashley had been saving her money to purchase a used vehicle in December 1999. Lorene said that she believed Ashley had accumulated $1200 in her savings account. Hurst said that Ashley actually claimed to have saved between $3000 and $4000 for the car. She was employed part-time at Roscoe's, a convenience store in Welch. Hurst said that Ashley did not have a bank account; she kept her money sealed in a Tupperware container in the family's freezer. Authorities were unable to locate any evidence of the cash after the fire. Lorene stated that Ashley and Danny had been arguing earlier in the month regarding the vehicle. She claimed that Ashley wanted to purchase a different car than Danny had desired. Danny reportedly had a violent temper and had been charged with abusing his son, Shane, in 1998. He was acquitted of the charges in 1999. Danny consistently protested the allegations.

Oklahoma law enforcement officer David Hayes shot and killed the Freemans' son, Shane, in 1998. Hayes was on duty at the time of the incident. Shane was on a country road in possession of a stolen vehicle at the time Hayes encountered him. The car had apparently broken down. Shane allegedly reached behind his back and pulled a gun, prompting Hayes to fire at him. The incident was investigated and Hayes' actions were found to be justified. Hayes and his brother, who is also a law enforcement officer, said they both took polygraph exams after the girls' 1999 disappearances. Neither of them are considered suspects in the investigations. Hayes and his brother have not participated in the active cases. Several of Danny's relatives believe that local law enforcement was behind the murders and the girls' disappearances, but no evidence has been located to support the theory. Freeman family members also believe that Shane was attempting to flee the scene at the time of his death and claim that his autopsy report contradicts the official verdict. Photos of Danny, Kathy and Shane are posted below this case summary.

There was speculation that Ashley and Lauria were involved in the Freemans' murders after the searches failed to produce evidence as to their whereabouts. Investigators stated that there was nothing in either girl's background to suggest they could be capable of such brutal acts. Authorities disclosed that there were rumors Ashley had been sexually abused, but they were unable to confirm the theories. She was a member of the National Honor Society and Lauria was regarded as an excellent student. Ashley was a member of the Welch High School basketball team, although she was unable to participate in the 1999 season as the result of an ankle injury. Lauria was a cheerleader and planned to become a cosmetologist after her high school graduation. Both girls were viewed as being well-behaved teenagers in 1999.

The Bible family believes that Danny's alleged marijuana dealing may have triggered the murders and disappearances. They claimed that he may have become involved in something out of his control, which led to the incidents in late December 1999. The Freemans' loved ones theorize that local law enforcement may have played a role in the cases. There is no evidence to suggest either theory is correct. Hayes, the officer who killed Shane, and his brother, who is also a law enforcement officer, said they both took polygraph exams after the girls' disappearances. Neither of them are considered suspects in the investigations. Hayes and his brother have not participated in the active cases.

Several of the girls' relatives participated in the pilot of the television program What Really Happened in October 2001. The show was not purchased by any of the networks and has never been broadcast. DeAnna Dorsey, a nurse who assisted the Freemans on the night of Shane's death, appeared on the show. A photo of DeAnna is posted below this case summary. Her daughter was a friend of Ashley in 1999. DeAnna was shot and killed at the hospital where was employed shortly after returning from the taping. Authorities said that paranoid schizophrenic Ricky Martin murdered her as a result of his anger about the hospital's decision to downsize. Martin was killed by police shortly after DeAnna's murder. Martin and DeAnna reportedly never met one another. Some people believe that DeAnna's death was connected to the Freemans' murders, but the theory has never been proven.

Convicted murderer Tommy Lynn Sells wrote a letter to The Joplin Globe in May 2002 and claimed that he was involved in the Freeman/Bible case. Sells stated that he traveled through Welch, Oklahoma during the night of the girls' disappearances. He said that he was returning from St. Louis, Missouri at the time. Sells stated that his memory was clouded by drug usage, but wrote that he "wanted" to remember a fire and the burial locations of the two girls. Authorities said that Sells was considered a possible suspect in the case, but that their investigation was proceeding cautiously. Sells was arrested after fatally stabbing a teenage girl in Del Rio, Texas in late December 1999. He was convicted of her murder, as well as the homicide of another young Texas girl in April 1999. Authorities believe that Sells may be connected to as many as sixteen homicides. Investigators received unconfirmed information that he may have been involved in the 1993 Texas disappearance of Juanita Bardin. He also confessed to murdering Stefanie Stroh, who vanished from Nevada in 1987. Sells has not been charged in connection with any of the cases.

Jeremy Brian Jones is considered a possible suspect in Ashley and Lauria's disappearances. A photograph of Jones is posted below this case summary. He has been charged with the murders of a teenaged girl and a woman and is a suspect in disappearances and murders in at least six states, including the murder of Patrice Endres and the disappearance of Melinda McGhee. Endres had been missing for eighteen months before her body was found in December 2005. Jones lived in Ottawa County, Oklahoma at the time the girls vanished, and was released from jail at 10:30 p.m. on the night of their disappearances. He left the area in early 2000. Investigators say the murders of Danny and Kathy are similar to the crimes Jones has been charged with; the woman he allegedly killed had been shot to death before being set on fire.

Investigators questioned Jones about Ashley and Lauria's cases and reported that he confessed to murdering the Ashley's parents and then abducting and killing the girls after they fled the trailer. He suggested investigators look for the girls' remains in a mine shaft near Galena, Kansas. Jones did an interview with the media and denied confessing to anything related to the girls' cases. Police plan to try to verify his statements; they plan to begin looking for Ashley and Lauria's bodies again in July 2005.

Ashley and Lauria's disappearances remain unsolved.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Top Left: Danny Freeman; Top Right: Kathy Freeman;

Bottom Left: Shane Freeman; Bottom Right: DeAnna Dorsey

Posted Image

Above: Jeremy Jones

Investigating Agency

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Federal Bureau Of Investigation

Oklahoma Office



Oklahoma State Bureau Of Investigation


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted Image

width=320 height=400[/img]

Age Progressed


DOB:  Apr 17, 1983

Missing:  Dec 30, 1999

Age Now:  24

Sex:  Female

Race:  White

Hair:  Brown

Eyes:  Hazel

Insert Email

Height:  5'5" (165 cm)

Weight:  130 lbs (59 kg)

Missing From:



United States

width=320 height=400[/img]



DOB:  Dec 29, 1983

Sex:  Female

Race:  White

Hair:  Lt. Brown

Eyes:  Blue

Height:  5'7" (170 cm)

Weight:  145 lbs (66 kg

Print a Poster:

Lauria's photo is shown age-progressed to 19 years and Ashley's photo is also shown aged to 19 years. Lauria and Ashley were discovered missing after a fire destroyed the trailer Ashley and her family lived in. The bodies of Ashley's parents were discovered in the trailer but Ashley and Lauria have not been seen since. Lauria has a mole under her nose. Ashley has a scar on her forehead.

Federal Bureau of Investigation (Oklahoma) - 1-405-290-7770

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted Image

Ashley Freeman and her best friend, Lauria Bible, disappeared from the Freeman family trailer on December 29, 1999.

SYNOPSIS: On December 29th 1999, Ashley Freeman celebrated her 16th birthday at her mobile home in Vinita, Oklahoma with her friend Lauria Bible and her boyfriend, Jeremy Hurst. Jeremy left around 9:30pm. Lauria spent the night. Around 5:30am, someone noticed flames at the mobile home and called police. When they arrived the Freeman mobile home was completely burnt. Authorities found the body of Ashley's mother, Kathy Freeman with a gunshot wound to the head. This led them to speculate that Kathy's husband, Danny Freeman, had killed her and abducted both girls.

The next day, however, Lauria Bible's mother Lorene, searched the burnt home and discovered the body of Danny Freeman. How could the authorities have missed this? Dwayne Vancil, Danny's brother, believes that the Sheriff's department contracted out the killing, and abducted the girls to make the murders look like something they were not. For months, it had been rumored in Vinita that the Craig County Sheriff's Department had been feuding with the Freemans. It began when Danny's son, Shane, was shot and killed by a deputy after he had stolen a truck and a neighbor's gun. Although Shane's killing was ruled justifiable, the Freeman's threatened to file a wrongful death lawsuit against the Sheriff's Department. According to some, the Freeman's accusations provoked deputies to intimidate the family. But the sheriff's department has denied any involvement in the incident. Others wonder if Danny was killed over drugs and the girls were abducted by the murderers. A $50,000 reward has turned up few leads.

If you have any information about this case, please contact the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation, the FBI, or call Unsolved Mysteries at 1-800-876-5353.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

After nine years, Welch girls’ kin long for answers



Published: December 30, 2008

WELCH  Ashley Freeman and Lauria Bible vanished nine years ago today.

Lauria Bible, left, and Ashley Freeman, both 16, disappeared Dec. 30, 1999. That was the night Danny Freeman, 40, and his wife Kathy, 38, were killed and their home set on fire. Photo provided by the Freeman family.

The last trace of the 16-year-old best friends was a scent police dogs picked up that led across the Freeman yard to a dirt road in rural Craig County.

Hundreds of thousands of fliers have been distributed across the United States, Canada and Mexico. Leads have been followed up, but the girls remain missing.

"There is no closure when no bodies are found,†Craig County Sheriff Jimmie Sooter said.

The investigation has been thorough, leading authorities to several places over the years, he said.

The girls were reported missing on Dec. 30, 1999, the day Ashley’s parents, Danny and Kathy Freeman, were found shot to death in the charred remains of their Welch mobile home.

Both families believe the girls are dead.

"I don’t think she is alive,†said Celeste Chandler, Ashley Freeman’s grandmother. "I couldn’t handle it if she was mistreated  but I need to know where she is.â€Â

Lorena Bible, Lauria’s mother, said, "We just take one day at a time.â€Â

For years, the Bibles left their family Christmas tree standing, waiting for Lauria to return home and take it down.

The tree fell down on its own a couple of years ago, she said.

Who was responsible?

Oklahoma law enforcement officials have said convicted murderer Jeremy Jones confessed to killing Ashley Freeman and Lauria Bible and throwing their bodies into an abandoned mine near Galena, Kan. A search in June 2005 turned up nothing.

A former construction worker from Miami, Jones also confessed to killing Danny and Kathy Freeman and several other people whose slayings have remained unsolved, authorities said. Jones has denied to the media any involvement in the homicides.

Jones is on death row in Alabama, convicted in the 2004 rape and death of Lisa Marie Nichols, 44, of Turnerville, Ala.

"I know what he told me personally,†Sooter said. "My conclusion is that he did it. We have no proof of it, but with the information he gave us, he is the only person who could have known what happened that night.â€Â

Lorena Bible and Chandler have their doubts that Jones is the killer.

"I think he was at the Freemans’ house that night, but I think he went wacko and was kicked out of the truck or car,†Bible said. "He doesn’t know where they are, but he does know something.â€Â

Chandler said the names of three people who have criminal histories were given to her by a private investigator who has since left the area. She thinks one or all of them were involved.

Because the three people have never been charged, their names are not public record.

The private investigator met with authorities and gave them information about the girls, but they would not work with him, Chandler said.

The private investigator was never paid because he was counting on receiving a $50,000 reward offered after the girls’ disappearance. The $50,000 reward is still available, both families said.

Bible also thinks the three were involved and visited one of the men while he was in a Tulsa jail about four years ago.

"He told me he didn’t kill the girls, but I think he knows who did,†Bible said. The man Bible spoke to is now in the federal prison at El Reno.

"We have been through all of this before and to my knowledge, we have no proof that they (the three men) were involved,†Sooter said.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mother of missing girl still hopeful

Published: Dec. 28, 2009 at 12:03 PM

WELCH, Okla., Dec. 28 (UPI) -- The mother of an Oklahoma girl who vanished 10 years ago at the age of 16 with her best friend hasn't given up hope her daughter will be found.

Lorene Bible said she is still hopeful she will learn the whereabouts of her daughter Lauria, who disappeared Dec. 30, 1999, along with fellow 16-year-old Ashley Freeman, the Tulsa (Okla.) World reported Monday.

"On the first year anniversary I said I didn't want to be here in 10 years," Bible said. "It's been a decade. I will keep getting the word out there. Hopefully there is a person out there that will call the authorities. I hope it triggers someone to talk."

Authorities said the teenage girls disappeared the same day Freeman's parents, Danny and Kathy, were found shot to death in their mobile home near Welch. The trailer had been set ablaze.

Lorene Bible said she suspects both of the girls are likely dead and blames investigators for not taking advantage of initial clues following the teens' disappearance.

"The investigation was botched from the beginning," Bible told the World.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Published December 31, 2009 12:16 am - VINITA, Okla. — Ten years after their daughter and her best friend disappeared from a rural Welch residence, Lorene and Jay Bible leaned on the simple pine altar of Vinita’s First Church of God and said they will be vigilant in their efforts to bring their daughter home.

More than 100 people attend vigil for missing girls

By Krista Duhon

VINITA, Okla. — Ten years after their daughter and her best friend disappeared from a rural Welch residence, Lorene and Jay Bible leaned on the simple pine altar of Vinita’s First Church of God and said they will be vigilant in their efforts to bring their daughter home.

“I said a decade ago that I did not want to be standing here in 10 years,†Lorene Bible said. “I did not want to be a mother who suffered for 10 years.â€

She said she will continue to use all the resources available to her to keep her daughter’s name in the media and will pray that someday Lauria Bible — who would now be 26 years old — will be found.

Lauria Bible and Ashley Freeman were last seen a decade ago. They celebrated Freeman’s 16th birthday together at the Freeman residence in rural Craig County. It was on that night, Dec. 30, 1999, that Freeman’s parents were shot to death and their home was torched.

Authorities believe the girls were abducted and most likely killed.

On Wednesday night, more than 100 friends and family members gathered at the church in Vinita for a prayer vigil to remember the girls.

“If Lauria is dead, let that be my burden. I will deal with that,†Lorene Bible said. “But, I will bring her home — even if she is passed on.â€

The Bibles said they find peace through their faith in God, and that his sustaining hand has guided them even when it seemed they did not have the strength to put one foot in front of the other.

Their faith also has helped them to move forward, Jay Bible said.

“One day, we will know what happened to our daughter,†he said.

His words echoed the sentiments of his brother-in-law, the Rev. Lindey Leforce, who spoke briefly at the vigil.

“There are a lot of questions about if the girls are dead or alive, but there is one thing that is certain,†Leforce said. “Either God is with them and they are alive, or they are with God. Either way, God is part of it.â€

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Missing Girls Case Hits Grim Mark

Lauria Bible, Ashley Freeman Last Seen 10 Years Ago

POSTED: 6:17 pm CST December 30, 2009

UPDATED: 10:15 pm CST December 30, 2009

WELCH, Okla. -- The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation is offering a reward for information about the disappearance of two Welch teenagers ten years ago Wednesday.

Lauria Bible and Ashley Freeman vanished on the same day that Freeman's parents were found dead in their burned home. Investigators said the fire had been deliberately set.

OSBI investigators said the case has never grown cold and still generates leads. Still, investigators said they've not been able to figure out what happened and who is responsible.

"We do have some leads we are running right now," said OSBI spokeswoman Jessica Brown. "You never know how good they are going to be until you get there and you run those leads out and we are currently doing that."

The night the girls disappeared, Bible had gone to spend the night with Freeman to mark her 16th birthday. Investigators said sometime overnight, the house burned down and Freeman's parents were killed. There has been no sign of the girls since.

One man, Jeremy Jones, told police he set the fire, killed the girls and dumped their bodies, but police said his story was not credible.

"He did not commit the crime and we do not believe he was involved at this point in time, unless he comes up with something else," Brown said.

Investigators used age-enhancing technology to suggest that the girls might look like today. They said they are hoping that someone may recognize them.

Agents also said they hope that a $10,000 reward will help generate the missing piece of the puzzle. "We hope that will encourage someone to come forward who has information who has been afraid to come forward in the past, who may think there was nothing in it for them," Brown said. "Now there is something in it for them, up to $10,000."

The community planned a memorial service for the two girls at 7:30 p.m. at First Church of God in Vinita, Okla.

Lauria Bible's parents said they have continued to actively search for her.

"I have talked to parents of other missing children and it's like, how do we keep it out there? You have to get out there and build the rapport with people and people are willing to help when it comes to children," said Lauria's mother, Lorene Bible.

"There is no doubt that we are going to keep it up, whatever it takes," said Jay Bible, her father.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

OSBI offers reward in 1999 Welch deaths

By Staff Reports Published: 12/30/2009  11:07 AM Last Modified: 12/30/2009  11:10 AM

The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation is offering up to a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for the deaths of Danny and Kathy Freeman.

Ten years ago Wednesday, the Freemans were found dead inside their charred home near Welch.

Both had been shot to death before their home was set on fire. The Freemans' daughter Ashley and her best friend Lauria Bible remain missing. Lauria spent the night with Ashley to celebrate Asley’s 16th birthday.

Because the crime scene was set on fire, little forensic evidence was obtained. Due to the remoteness of the Freemans' home, no witnesses to the crime have been found. OSBI agents and other local law enforcement have investigated hundreds of leads during the past decade.

The OSBI reports that fewer and fewer leads have come in to law enforcement in recent years.

OSBI hopes this sizeable reward will entice someone with information to come forward. If anyone has information, they are urged to call OSBI at 1-800-522-8017.

Age enhanced pictures of the two missing girls are on the OSBI website at

Go to the "Investigative" option on the left side of the page and then click onto Oklahoma’s Missing Children to find the pictures.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

New details released in case of Welch girls missing since 1999

Investigators have released new details in the case of two teenage girls missing since 1999.

BY SHEILA STOGSDILL Oklahoman  Published: November 4, 2010

WELCH — New information was released Wednesday about vehicles seen in the area where two Craig County teenagers went missing more than a decade ago.

Two girls missing since Dec. 30, 1999 -- Ashley Freeman of Welch, left, and Lauria Bible of Bluejacket. They disappeared from the Welch home of Danny and Kathy Freeman, who were found shot to death and their home burned.

A small, dark-colored sedan was seen near a mobile home belonging to Danny and Kathy Freeman, Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation spokeswoman Jessica Brown said.

The Freemans were shot to death. Their bodies were found in their home, which had been set on fire. Authorities think the fire was set to cover up the slayings.

The four-door car was seen traveling east on a rural road toward Welch between 5:30 and 6 a.m. on Dec. 30, 1999, Brown said.

Best friends Lauria Bible and Ashley Freeman disappeared in the early hours that day. Lauria had spent the night at the Freemans' home to help Ashley celebrate her 16th birthday.

Brown said authorities received the lead early in the investigation and are now making it public.

OSBI investigators were told this year that a dark-colored pickup was seen heading north toward Chetopa, Kan., about the same time, Brown said. Chetopa is 12 miles north of Welch on U.S. 59.

"We don't know any specifics about either driver,†Brown said.

"I hope it leads somewhere,†said Lorene Bible, Lauria's mother.

Bible said she wonders why it took the OSBI 10 years to release the information about the sedan.

Brown said the lead had to be determined to be credible before the information could be released to the public.

Brown said OSBI has not positively identified any suspects in the case. The fire left investigators little forensic evidence, she said, and the remote location of the mobile home a few miles east of Welch meant there apparently were no witnesses.

The fire was reported at 5:50 a.m. The Welch fire chief said the fire probably was set between midnight and 3:30 a.m.

On Oct. 18, Ashley Freeman was legally declared dead by a Craig County judge.

How to help

Anyone who has information about the case is asked to call the OSBI at (800) 522-8017.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Car, truck seen in area of 1999 Welch killings, OSBI says

By SHEILA STOGSDILL World Correspondent Published: 11/4/2010  2:26 AM Last Modified: 11/4/2010  6:48 AM

WELCH - The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation released information Wednesday about two vehicles that were seen in the area where two Craig County teenagers vanished more than a decade ago.

A small, dark, four-door sedan was seen traveling from the area of a burned mobile home owned by Danny and Kathy Freeman, whose bodies were found in the ashes, OSBI spokeswoman Jessica Brown said.

The car was seen traveling east toward Welch between 5:30 and 6 a.m. Dec. 30, 1999, Brown said.

Lauria Bible and Ashley Freeman, who had been best friends since they were toddlers, disappeared that bitterly cold day. They had spent the night at the Freemans' mobile home to celebrate Ashley's 16th birthday.

Brown said authorities received the lead on either the second or third day of the investigation but are just now making it public after a second credible lead came in earlier this year.

The second lead involves a dark heavy-duty truck that was seen heading north to Chetopa, Kan., around the same time, she said.

Chetopa is 12 miles north of Welch on U.S. 59.

"We don't know any specifics about either driver," Brown said.

Lorene Bible, Lauria's mother, said of the newly released information, "I hope it leads somewhere."

Rumors circulated days after the girls disappeared that a light-blue car was seen in the area, she said.

Despite her hope, Bible wondered why it took the OSBI 10 years to release the information about the dark sedan.


said investigators had to determine that the lead was credible before they made it public.

Investigators in the case have tracked down hundreds of leads, crisscrossing the country.

The Bible family has made sure that fliers about the girls have been left at an untold number of truck stops in North America and Mexico.

Brown said investigators were able to obtain little forensic evidence from the scene because of the fire, which she said had been set.

The blaze was reported to the Fire Department at 5:50 a.m. Ronnie Armstrong, Welch's late fire chief, said in 2005 that the mobile home fire probably was set between midnight and 3:30 a.m.

The Freemans were fatally shot and their bodies were found in the ashes of the home. Authorities think the killer or killers set the fire to cover up the slayings.

Ashley and Lauria have not been seen since that night; they are presumed dead.

Ashley Freeman was legally declared dead Oct. 18 by a Craig County judge.

Jeremy Jones, a convicted killer and rapist who once lived in Miami, Okla., was a person of interest in the Freemans' deaths.

He confessed to killing the couple and setting their mobile home on fire over a drug debt.

Jones, 37, said he took the teenagers to Galena, Kan., where he said he shot them and threw their bodies into an abandoned mine.

A search of the area in June 2005 turned up nothing, and Jones recanted his confession. He has never been charged in the case.

He is on Alabama's death row for the murder and rape of a Turnerville, Ala., woman.

Anyone with information about the case is asked to call the OSBI at (800) 522-8017.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lauria and Ashley's case was included in Vanished: Episode 4: "Kesse/Bible and Freeman"

Premiered May 30 at 10/9c: Set in Orlando and Welch, OK. Beth investigates a case in which a 24-year-old warned her father of a suspicious character and the worst is assumed when she goes missing and only her abandoned car is found. The episode also takes a look at a case in which authorities realize a tragic fire was no accident after two people are found murdered and two teenage girls involved go missing.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cable program to highlight missing teen case

Updated: Jan 21, 2013 12:00 PM CST

Authorities hope a cable television program airing tonight will help generate new leads in the case of two northeast Oklahoma teens missing since 1999.

The program tells the story of Lauria Bible and Ashley Freeman. The remains of Freeman's mother and father were discovered in a mobile home destroyed by a fire in December 1999.

Investigation Discovery will air the program, "Out of the Ashes", tonight at 8 p.m. Investigation Discovery is on:

Dish Network - channel 192

DirecTV - 285

AT&T Uverse - 260

Bible and Freeman would now be age 29.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0